DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-20-2008, 01:20 AM

Default AUDIO TECHNITIONS PLEASE HELP!!!!

Ive been trying to bring out the guitars in my bands ep mix but i have no idea where to even begin in eqing guitars....im using sony acid 6.0...i have this frequency chart but i dont even know how to use it...the recording sounds good im just not getting alot of separation of the separate sound sources...its all low end...sounds muddy...any help? heres what i got...excuse the terrible vocals...we are rerecording them once my singer can bring back into control his vocals...and the drums dont stand out much because of all the frequency cross overs.......its all self recorded with not the greatest gear in the world so dont expect too much

Last edited by Tylerdrums109; 07-21-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:11 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: AUDIO TECHNITIONS PLEASE HELP!!!!

based on the intro, it sounds like the rhythm guitar has way too much low end in it, so bring that down on the EQ for that track. Also, bring out the lead guitar more and pan it back towards the center a little bit (unless you're going for the effect of having the rhythm guit panned left and a melodic guit panned right- either way the lead/melodic guitar needs to be louder).

As for the drums, more punch would be nice so a compressor/limiter and a gate will do you well on the toms and kick. If you have the kick mic'd separately (which it doesn't sound like), once you get more punch out of it, bring it up in the mix a bit, then make an aux track with a low frequency generator (31 hz usually works for me) and send a virtual output from the kick track to low frequency track and back. This will enhance the low end without distorting the eq settings (i haven't used ACID in years, and really didn't do much in the past, so forgive my ignorance if this is not possible, but with other software it is).
The snare also sounds very deep and somewhat uncomfortable for the recording- similar effects will again do the job, and if its on a separate track, bring up the mids and highs on its eq some.

Also, the rhythm guitar is so dominating and bass-y that its hard for me to hear the actual bass guitar, but if you're still getting too much bass after playing with the EQ settings on the whole recording and the rhythm guitar, you may want to compress and gate the bass.

and i know you are going to re-record the vocals, but don't be afraid to throw some reverb on there and a very small delay, or a light chorus during the chorus (who would have thought ;) ).

in short :
compression, limiting, gating, and eq-ing will solve many sound issues of lacking separation. experiment and see what you get.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 AM

Thank u for the response i will do my best to understand and apply the information u are giving me...but it will be difficult since i am brand new to the recording arts lol...however i greatly appreciate the input and will try to apply what u've given me the best that i can...if anyone else can add to his input please do...oh and for future reference the drums are one track...
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

having the drums on one track will be a bit harder, but nonetheless the whole track lacks some punch to it, which is fine for some styles, but for you, more bite to the drums would be nice.

Everything I mentioned will be labelled as such in the effects part of the software, and just start playing around with the sliders and seeing what each thing does.

Since you're new, I would forgo the thing i mentioned about using the aux track for the signal generator. Other than that, compression, gateing, equalizer settings, and so forth are all generic effects that most software comes pre-loaded with in some for or another. As I said, I barely have any recollection of using ACID (the software, of course ;) ) so I can't speak specifically of that, but start clicking around menus and seeing what everything does- play with sliders and knobs, and eventually you'll start picking up the craft. I can tell you for sure that you won't need to set any of the effects to the strongest settings, but in order to condition your ear to what each effect does, it is sometimes helpful to preview each effect at its strongest setting (note the difference between preview and apply- if you apply it, then you will have to click undo once you are done seeing what it sounds like) ...ie- maximum reverb will make it sounds like its being played in a huge cave; maximum compression will make everything incredibly punchy with very little dynamics...)
Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 AM

Im not hearing much of a change in the drum sound using the compression effect...maybe im using it wrong?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 AM
Gold Member

the compressor takes the whole track and pretty much squeezes it down from top and bottom. it will even out the volumes in the track. if you don't listen carefully you won't hear tremendous difference.

did you apply a gate as well? gate is pretty much like a gate- if its below a certain volume, then it doesn't let that sound in, so it trims down reverberant and boomy sounds, bring outs more emphasis on the beat and makes things more crisp.
gate is probably the one that is most noticable in changes though, since if you apply a ton of it, it will really make your drums sound odd.