DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-13-2008, 04:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Default My Yamaha DTXTREME 3 Standard kit

Well, after a year of not having anybody to jam with and not feeling like driving 30 minutes to a practice space, I decided to purchase an e-kit to have at the apartment. I went back and forth for months between the DTXTREME 3 and Roland TD-12, but finally decided on the DTXTREME 3. I've only had it set up for about a day so I'm still figuring it all out and getting used to the feel, but so far this thing has turned out to be everything I was hoping it would be. The sounds in this thing are incredible. I mostly bought it as a practice tool to get me through the times when I'm not able to play my acoustic kit.

So far, the only complaint that I have is with the kick drum. It has a very hollow, lifeless feel to it, like hitting a cardboard box. I can't get that feeling that I'm really laying into the drum. The Roland kick tower was much better in this department.

Other than that, everything is great, especially the cymbals. Close your eyes and you'd think you were hitting real cymbals. This really won me over when I was trying to decide on which kit to get. The feel of the cymbals was just as important, if not more important, than the feel of the drum pads.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My Yamaha DTXTREME 3 Standard kit

Congrats. I love my e kit. I practice almost every day on it. enjoy!
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Nice. Modern Drummer gave a great review on this one-- some really nice features installed. I think you made a good decision. Enjoy playing it.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

which roland kick pad were you lookin at?
cause you could probably get the roland kick with the yamaha set and have a really nice kit...

Roland KD8

Roland KD85

Roland KD120

was it a different one?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Nice. Modern Drummer gave a great review on this one-- some really nice features installed. I think you made a good decision. Enjoy playing it.
i totally agree. enjoy playing. it's a hell of a kit with a lot of new features. if i knew my wife wasn't going to beat me with the new rack system i would totally go and buy one for myself. :)
all the reviews including modern drummer's, say that it has got more than just the looks. the electronics/triggers and samples are also enhanced as far as i am concerned.

i am not sure about the kick pedal though. i am a yamaha dtxplorer user myself and never had any problems with the kick pad. this one also looks comfortable with a wider strike area but if it feels like hitting cardboard it could be more comfortable to go for a roland kick pad or an earlier version of a yamaha kit's kick pad like the KP65.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Nice choice man, if you upgrade to the KD120 kick pad, you'll be happier than a pig in the mud!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
Nice choice man, if you upgrade to the KD120 kick pad, you'll be happier than a pig in the mud!
That's what I was thinking. If I can use the KD120 without any technical problems, then I'll definitely upgrade to that.

Do you know for sure that it will work with the DTXTREME 3?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

That is a great looking kit.

Sounds like it is a good investment.

I will look into one of those, as I would love to practice later into the evenings.

How is the sound from rubber/plastic while hitting it? Would it be loud to others if you wear headphones?

Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Great kit. The Dave Weckl sticks are cool too. I don't know much about electronic kits, but I love giving em a bash every time a enter a store.

Since you have both, the acoustic & the E-kit, which one do you find yourself playing more?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Why upgrading to a roland kickpad? The new designed kickpad is great and just as good.

Only, change the felt beater to plastick, or you will get a wered kickpad.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
That is a great looking kit.

Sounds like it is a good investment.

I will look into one of those, as I would love to practice later into the evenings.

How is the sound from rubber/plastic while hitting it? Would it be loud to others if you wear headphones?

Mike
Thanks Mike!

The sound of hitting the pads is comparable to hitting phone books, I'd say. Not terribly loud though. As far as it bothering other people, it really depends on the person. I have them set up at my girlfriend's apartment and she's in the room next to me and it doesn't bother her at all. But if I were to have them set up at my apartment, it would drive my roommate nuts. Some people are just more sensitive to it than others I guess.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Great kit. The Dave Weckl sticks are cool too. I don't know much about electronic kits, but I love giving em a bash every time a enter a store.

Since you have both, the acoustic & the E-kit, which one do you find yourself playing more?
Thanks! If I could have it my way, I'd have both the e-kit and the a-kit set up together so I could play both, but for the time being I'm only able to play the e-kit. I was renting out a 24-hour rehearsal room, but I gave that up a few months ago. Too expensive and a pain to drive to.

But if I could have them both set up, I think I'd split my time equally between them. The e-kit is a blast to play, but I really miss the real thing!