DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Double Bass Pedal Reccomendations.

I think the best pedal you can get for $200 is the DW 7000. i have it and it works fine and is smooth
Old 12-18-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Double Bass

What brand or specific type of double bass pedal is well made, built to last and is easy to use and fast?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Double Bass

One called "The Search Function." Its incredibly fast and easy to use, yet not too many people use it.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:37 AM
Pioneer Member

You gotta be kidding me.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Thinshells

As I said, week #2, this same question came up last week. We are two for two. We should have a "pedal" sticky.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

If your willing to spend the money on it, get a DW 9000. The smoothest pedal out there.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian_dude101
If your willing to spend the money on it, get a DW 9000. The smoothest pedal out there.
I have one, and the Pearl eliminator works just as well for $110.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Pioneer Member

franklinj for the win! Pearl, Tama, DW, Axis, etc all make a quality pedal.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:08 AM

go to the axis web page and see the wolds fastest feet !!! He uses the heal to toe on the axis longboard a2's !!
http://www.axispercussion.com/
Old 12-20-2005, 03:44 PM

It depends on what you want. Pedals like Axis are not for everybody. If you like heavier pedals go for either a DW 5000, a Yamaha Flying Dragon, or the Pearl Eliminator. The Eliminator is the best value of the 3. I have a DW 5000. DO NOT go out and blow $500 on that 9000 unless you're a proffessional or just have a crapload of money. Same goes for the Axis. The Axis pedals are extremely light and are wayy too responsive for me. You breathe on them and they fly, which is not necessarilya good thing. If, however you can get used to these fast pedals, they can be very useful. I'm accustomed to using heavier pedals because I like to actually be able to feel what I'm doing. Another popular pedal that is on the lighter side ae the Tama Iron Cobras. Keep in mind with a change of the beaters the weight can be significantly increased (beaters that come with the IC's are very light) but that'll be an extra $40 probably. First determine your comfort, go to a local music equipment store and try these models out or find a firend who has them. DW, Yamaha, Pearl, and Tama all make great pedals. It's all about preference and price. If you're looking to spend less money there's the DW 7000's, the Tama Iron Cobra Jrs., and lower end Pearls. It's up to you.

http://www.dwdrums.com/pedals/5000Pedals.htm
http://www.tama.com/drums/tama_link....wer/index.html
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...216600,00.html
Old 12-20-2005, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicaItalian
It depends on what you want. Pedals like Axis are not for everybody. If you like heavier pedals go for either a DW 5000, a Yamaha Flying Dragon, or the Pearl Eliminator. The Eliminator is the best value of the 3. I have a DW 5000. DO NOT go out and blow $500 on that 9000 unless you're a proffessional or just have a crapload of money. Same goes for the Axis. The Axis pedals are extremely light and are wayy too responsive for me. You breathe on them and they fly, which is not necessarilya good thing. If, however you can get used to these fast pedals, they can be very useful. I'm accustomed to using heavier pedals because I like to actually be able to feel what I'm doing. Another popular pedal that is on the lighter side ae the Tama Iron Cobras. Keep in mind with a change of the beaters the weight can be significantly increased (beaters that come with the IC's are very light) but that'll be an extra $40 probably. First determine your comfort, go to a local music equipment store and try these models out or find a firend who has them. DW, Yamaha, Pearl, and Tama all make great pedals. It's all about preference and price. If you're looking to spend less money there's the DW 7000's, the Tama Iron Cobra Jrs., and lower end Pearls. It's up to you.

http://www.dwdrums.com/pedals/5000Pedals.htm
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...216600,00.html
yes what you are saing is so true ! the same goes for everything you look at! drum heads, drum shells and cymbols. I don't know why people ask "what do you think is the best?" The best is what you like and what feels good for YOU not everyone has the same thinking on what is the best. It depends on the music you play , your speed and the sound that YOU like.

I really don't think that anyone should be skimpy on how much you spend on your kit! save your money and get what you want ! If not you will not be happy and just go get what you wanted after already waisting your money ! you have to like what your playing on and or with !!
Old 12-23-2005, 05:43 AM

Default To double bass or not?

I have FINALLY found a Midnight Black Sonor Bass Drum and I have been wanting to turn my set into a double bass drum set for a while now. I already have a tama iron cobra double pedal. If I get this, I will have to get a new hi hat stand and new pedals. Do you think I should?
I really think that 2 bass drums will allow me to set my toms up the way I want and money isnt too big of an issue. I also think the sound will be better. I know this varies for people but I just want to know opinions.

I would also like to know some good hi hat stand choices. I found a Ludwig one but I dont know how good it is(?)
Old 12-23-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: To double bass or not?

Well, if money is not an issue, I'd go for it.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Sounds like a great idea so long as money is not an issue. I did the exact same thing with the exact same gear and I'm loving it. I bought a Sonor 3003 and added the second bass drum. On my daily practice kit (eKit) I use the tama iron cobra double bass pedal and at the end of the week I take my practice from the head phones to the Sonor kit. Keep in mind I’m still a novice at this set up but I do feel a difference going from a single double pedal to double singles (say that ten times fast). I also opted to stick with the Sonor stock pedals that came with the 3003 kit so mine were no additional cost (I saw them listed on ebay for like $30) and as far as I’m concerned they are really smooth and pose no problems when making the transformation from eKit to acoustic. I use a cheap remote HH for a more comfortable position. I also use an xHat on my right side by the ride. This is especially comfortable when you lock into a double base drum grove. When you start using the second bass drum you will feel a difference in the way you balance yourself at least I did, then again remember I'm just starting out with the double kick setup. I’m also sure there are a lot of opinions regarding gigging drummers and moving around a second bass drum. Here is a picture of how I set up my toms.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2005, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr82bagn
Sounds like a great idea so long as money is not an issue. I did the exact same thing with the exact same gear and I'm loving it. I bought a Sonor 3003 and added the second bass drum. On my daily practice kit (eKit) I use the tama iron cobra double bass pedal and at the end of the week I take my practice from the head phones to the Sonor kit. Keep in mind Iím still a novice at this set up but I do feel a difference going from a single double pedal to double singles (say that ten times fast). I also opted to stick with the Sonor stock pedals that came with the 3003 kit so mine were no additional cost (I saw them listed on ebay for like $30) and as far as Iím concerned they are really smooth and pose no problems when making the transformation from eKit to acoustic. I use a cheap remote HH for a more comfortable position. I also use an xHat on my right side by the ride. This is especially comfortable when you lock into a double base drum grove. When you start using the second bass drum you will feel a difference in the way you balance yourself at least I did, then again remember I'm just starting out with the double kick setup. Iím also sure there are a lot of opinions regarding gigging drummers and moving around a second bass drum. Here is a picture of how I set up my toms.
Where did you get your second bass drum? How much did your hi hat stand cost?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Pioneer Member

The second bass drum I purchased on ebay brand new and in the box for about $165 with shipping. It came with the tom mount and bass pedal. The remote hi hat stand is a Peace stand and cost about $95 plus 10 or 15 dollars shipping that includes the mount. Low end on cost but so far no problems with quality or holding up to some serious pounding.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Thinshells

If you don't go double bass, then you risk having a kit that will never be as cool as
gr82bagn's.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Thinshells,
LOL your killing me first thing in the am (before my first cup). Do you think maybe I posted this picture up to many times?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr82bagn
Thinshells,
LOL your killing me first thing in the am (before my first cup). Do you think maybe I posted this picture up to many times?
There isn't a statute of limitations of photos of kick-ass kits.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Pioneer Member

If you want to do it, then do it.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:29 PM

As long as you can be bothered to move 'em around if you need to. It would be sweet though.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhitter
yes what you are saing is so true ! the same goes for everything you look at! drum heads, drum shells and cymbols. I don't know why people ask "what do you think is the best?" The best is what you like and what feels good for YOU not everyone has the same thinking on what is the best. It depends on the music you play , your speed and the sound that YOU like.

I really don't think that anyone should be skimpy on how much you spend on your kit! save your money and get what you want ! If not you will not be happy and just go get what you wanted after already waisting your money ! you have to like what your playing on and or with !!
At first i went for the Pearl Eliminator which didn't cut it out for me, I Then changed to a Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide, but it still wasn't wat i was looking for. I then Changed to a DW 9000 and it was unbelievably brilliant. Now I play with two bass drums so i have 2 DW 9000 Singles on each of my Tama Superstar Bass Drums! Absolutely brilliant.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:29 AM

Well here is the thing. I found it on this site http://www.massmusic.net/shop/index.php?cat=110&shop=1& and I THINK I can trust this site. Not sure. It will be 277 with shipping and its not that I care paying that if its worth it. Note: I will have to buy new pedals and new hi hat stand (but I can sell my db pedal). I just want to know if its really worth it. Is the sound a whole lot better? Is the set up hard to get used to? Does going from DB pedal to DB drums make any difference in how fast you play? I just dont know. If its worth it..I dont care to spend money. And oh yeah I dont move my drums much.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:43 AM

I'd go for a double bass kit too, when money isn't a problem...

And you said it yourself, i you can place your toms better that way, well...go for it :)
Old 01-04-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
I'd go for a double bass kit too, when money isn't a problem...

And you said it yourself, i you can place your toms better that way, well...go for it :)

I think that there is like 3 places that I play that I can setup a double bass kit ! I like the axis becouse the same pedals work for double bass and single as a double pedal. But I like the lighter feel of the pedals not everyone likes a light pedal !

Tom placement , get a rack if you want tom placement ! It doesn't get better then that !!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Slayer_metal_head

Default Re: Too Double Bass or not to Double Bass

Its funny that since i got my double bass pedal i use my hi-hat more....?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:16 AM

eariler off u start dbl, the stronger ur left is gonna be
Old 01-14-2006, 04:51 AM

I respect the drummers that can play a double bass kit very well, it is definately a skill. I personally could never master it. But on the other hand I think it it is more impressive to see a drummer playing a single bass kit and thinking he must have a double bass pedal and finding out he just has one pedal.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay
I respect the drummers that can play a double bass kit very well, it is definately a skill. I personally could never master it. But on the other hand I think it it is more impressive to see a drummer playing a single bass kit and thinking he must have a double bass pedal and finding out he just has one pedal.
Double bass kts are just noise, (not making any friends here) But its my opinion... If ur thinking of getting a double pedal, I say go on then, u can only tell buy trying it!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:38 PM

Default double bass or not

I would like to know the pros and cons of the double bass . I've tryed it once or twise but
not realy enough to say I know anything about how to use them.anthore problem is space
most of the places i've played just didn't have the room to set up all that gear.
thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Re: double bass or not

if you're not sure about actually having two bass drums, first start with a double pedal and see how you like it. i've been using a double pedal (one bass drum) for a little over a year and a half and i love it. it really has opened up my playing and my foot control. i read somwhere that 90% of a drummers time problems come from their feet, but they spend 90% of their practice time on their hands. once i got the double pedal, i started going through the GL Stone Book "Stick Control", but doing the exercises with my feet and they have really developed ever since. there are those (including Danney Carey) who say that two bass drums sound better. but i dont play a lot of double bass driven music. i just like to use it from time to time to accentuate certain passages in my bands music, or during soloing.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Double bass is really common now-a-days.

Pros
1. Lots of different techiniques that go with a wide variety
of music
2. can get some serious speed

3. over all very nice ;)

Cons
1. double bass can be expensive.

2. takes alot of practrice

I hopes this helps!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip latimer
I would like to know the pros and cons of the double bass . I've tryed it once or twise but
not realy enough to say I know anything about how to use them.anthore problem is space
most of the places i've played just didn't have the room to set up all that gear.
thanks
I strongly recommend you consider The Duallist. Assuming you have good right foot control, you can do almost everything a double pedal can in less space and you won't have to re-train your left foot to do bass drum. You'll also be able to keep your left foot on the hi-hat and keep your right foot doing what it does best - the bass drum. The cost is comparable to a quality double pedal setup.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 PM

I've previously used a conventional double pedal for years and years, I have since switched to a Duallist, superb stuff. I can do everything that I could do with a double and still have controlled hihats. Superb. So impressed i accepted a proposed Duallist endorsment.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Pioneer Member

one of the cons ive seen with people with double bass pedals is that they conpensate for one week foot with two medicore feet.... ie... take one pedal away and they really dont have much going on... bring the double back and they sound decient again... just make sure you practice doubles with both feet so that if you take one pedal away you can continue to kick ass... ya dig
Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 PM

well unless your playing speed metal you should be able to do everything on one foot.
assuming you practice ya know
Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizkneelande
well unless your playing speed metal you should be able to do everything on one foot.
assuming you practice ya know
Unlike the name suggests, speed metal is not particulary fast paced.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 PM

Double bass makes music "richer". Even if its not speed metal.
Definitely - double bass is better for me.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:27 PM

I cant say i am a double pedal fan but if thats what you are looking for and more importnantly what you need in your music style then go for it.

I cant explain how much i think Dualist pedals should be banned and removed from the face of drumming. The whole concept makes me wanna smash things. There are people that learn double bass or fast single pedal work only to have these Dualist 'pedals' (they dont deserve to be called pedals) making light work of hours upon hours of peoples training.

Pathetic!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bttl
I cant say i am a double pedal fan but if thats what you are looking for and more importnantly what you need in your music style then go for it.

I cant explain how much i think Dualist pedals should be banned and removed from the face of drumming. The whole concept makes me wanna smash things. There are people that learn double bass or fast single pedal work only to have these Dualist 'pedals' (they dont deserve to be called pedals) making light work of hours upon hours of peoples training.

Pathetic!
There are plenty of threads where you can bash on Duallist pedals, or where I can bash on how obsolete, inefficient and clumsy double pedals are. Let's take this discussion to one of those threads, shall we?