DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Too Double Bass or not to Double Bass

This turned pretty much turned into the double pedal thread. I never got one, nor do i see a musical application for me with one.

Last edited by Latin Groover; 01-23-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Too Double Bass or not to Double Bass

i'm in a similar position. years ago i owned a d/bass pedal for about a year but just couldn'e get the hang of it (not that i tried too hard mind you) but now i am seriously considering it again. the fact is that my single bass technique is growing monsterously fast and powerful...i love the fact that gigs i can spot the drummers in the audience (the ones whose eyes never leave you for a minute) looking for what double pedal i'm using and then seeing that i am not. sure i cannot play that kind of death metal stuff, but my band doesn't require ot of me...yet.

so do i go lars ulrich or do i go nico mcbrain?

my current decision is to remain single for another year but then review the whole thing. it really depends on what the music industry is demanding. music is generally getting heavier and rockier (thank goodness).

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-06-2005, 03:49 PM

I'd pick one up. Just don't neglect your hi hat.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Pioneer Member

I've been debating the same question for awhile now ... my situation is, I'm not a "monster player" on the single pedal, and doubt if I ever will be. I'd like a double pedal to fill in where I can't get the speed/beat I want with one foot. I'm told it's not easy to master, and I should wait awhile, but I've also been told that if it makes drumming fun, to go for it, as long as I don't neglect other techniques I'm working on. I've never tried one ... hoping my new teacher has one we can set up for me to take a shot at.
My advice would be to get one and give it a try.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:51 PM

ive been playing for 3 and a half years and ive had a double pedal for 2 years. It really helps with hi hat stuff i found... i used to be able to go at the metal pace with my feet but i havent really used it since easter. Just started using it again. its handy for some fills but (if your not playing metal) you dont really need one for groovin until your sure you can use it musicaly as opposed to ruining the groove for the sake of it.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Pioneer Member

I would agree with Nutha

once you've got on foot kicking it, that will help know what to work on when you get a double bass pedal.

from the sounds of it I would say that Nutha is ready for a double pedal lol!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Pioneer Member

some people like to have both there feat equally "powerfull". ive been playin for a year, and i got a DB pedal about 2 months ago, and its definetely "beefed up" my right foot (i play on a left handed setup). havin a double pedal handy also opens a wide range of new fill ect... some people love havin double pedals, some don't.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 PM

I went to a drum lesson a month or so ago and asked the bloke if he could give me some exercises to improve my 16th notes on my (single) bass drum, and he said why dont u just get a double kick, its much easier.

what the ? this didn't impress me,

I have been playing for about 5yrs on and off and my single kick is pretty powerful now, got good speed pn triplets and quads (4's) are getting there. I have always thought my best atribute on the drums was my kick drum. which is wherre i get my influences nicko, bonzo.

You can use a single kick but for some beats it will just sound fatter if u have the double kick.

I would think about getting one but i am broke and they are well expensive, so for now ill just practice my left foot hihat, and keep practicing fireing those triplets iron maiden sttyle.

The main thing double bass is really good for is running on the drums. and if uy u play heavy metal its pretty useful.

but definatly, i wouldn't get a doubvle kick till i am happy with my right foot, then once thats mastered, might as well try mastering the other foot as well.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 PM

Well, I got one of these just last week and it cost me (ready for this?) $150.00 CDN brand new on sale (Reg. $179.95 CDN). I went to the store and they had these and the DW's that everybody is so into. I tried them both and found that there was "exstreamly" little difference in the feel and speed of these and also the quality of the construction of them. The only difference was the "name tag price" of over $500.00 for the DW's. Here's the link for the one I got. I also have some of their other hardware too, nice stuff.

http://www.dixondrumhardware.com/811db.html

I would have to say that since I've gotten this thing my left foot is slowly getting better although it will take time. The good thing about it is that I'm starting to think a little differently about what I can do with my hihat. Things I would never had even "thought" of doing I'm now "doing" (well at least trying), so there are some very good advantages in getting one. It's not just for the sake of being able to get great chops or playing metal it will enhance your groove playing abilities too cause it will open up things to you that you other wise may not have thought of doing before. :-)
Old 11-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Pioneer Member

DO NOT GET ONE until you are very comfortable with one pedal. double bass drum pedals are a very useful tool, but only when you have the single pedal pretty much 'mastered'. everyone always says 'dude! look how fast that double bass drum is going!" or "dude get one then you can play all that cool fast stuff!" this is not true. if you are good enough with your hands and feet, you shouldnt need a double bass drum. i mean come on, most of the old jazz drummers didnt use a double bass drum. and they are/were the best drummers ever. HOWEVER, there is one exception in my opinion. if you want to play metal or thrash or soemthing, you should probably CONSIDER getting one. thats what i have to say. hopefully you will take my advice. haha.

Tim
Old 11-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Slayer_metal_head

well i think the double bass could contribute to any musical style, and i think that you should not corner yourself by getting a double bass early,anyways im getting a double bass pedal soon (x-mas hehe) hopefully and i told that to my drum teacher so then he started getting me on these bass drum exercises, now i am able to do things that it sounds like i am using a doulbe bass pedal so i think i am ready for a double bass pedal and so does my teacher and he is giving me some double bass exercises that i can practise wit my hihat, but dont be pushed into the corner of using the double bass pedal for things that only one of your feet can do.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON

so do i go lars ulrich or do i go nico mcbrain?

j
go Mike Portnoy ;)

also, my suggestion for everyone, except the most elitist of jazz cats, is to get a double bass pedal once you're comfortable with a single pedal. I know there is a cliche about double bass drummers just rocking with blast beats all day, but the truth is you can do so much more combinations, patterns, ostinatos, and grooves with a DB pedal. I dare say its better than the single pedal, in all aspects. If you practice right, it will dramatically improve your options and ability, as well as bring your left foot up to speed with your right and present more drumming challenges in terms of coordination and independence.

Basically, all it can do is give you the wonderful tool that is itself and improve your playing exponentially.... if you go about it the right way.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:33 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticksman
go Mike Portnoy ;)

also, my suggestion for everyone, except the most elitist of jazz cats, is to get a double bass pedal once you're comfortable with a single pedal. I know there is a cliche about double bass drummers just rocking with blast beats all day, but the truth is you can do so much more combinations, patterns, ostinatos, and grooves with a DB pedal. I dare say its better than the single pedal, in all aspects. If you practice right, it will dramatically improve your options and ability, as well as bring your left foot up to speed with your right and present more drumming challenges in terms of coordination and independence.

Basically, all it can do is give you the wonderful tool that is itself and improve your playing exponentially.... if you go about it the right way.
Really? I just found it dull and limited, because the amount of music that actually calls for more bass drum notes rather than less is pretty small. I mean, all the things you're talking about with hand/foot combinations... it's not like you've grown another limb here, it's just another pedal on your bass drum. You've already got a left foot, why is it musically useful to use it to play more bass drum rather than hi-hat or cowbell or something? Not only that, having the left foot on another sound source actually opens up MORE practical options than double kick because you can do unisons as well as flams and linear patterns.

I'm no elitist jazz cat, but I think my double pedal was the biggest waste of money I've managed as a drumkit player so far - the only thing it was ever useful for was playing Tool covers.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

At the moment I refuse to buy a double pedal, and I've been playing for about 3 years.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:46 AM

The way I see it, becoming proficient with a double pedal can only add to your drumming options. Yes, a lot of metal bands rinse double-bass for all its worth and I don't really enjoy that as a style of drumming, however when used creatively it can add to the variety of possible grooves/fills. After all you wouldn't refuse to use both of your sticks on any other drum would you? Having a double pedal doesn't mean you have to sacrifice hi-hat work, it just gives you the option.

Now if only i could use a double pedal half as tastefully as Brann Dailor, I'd be happy. That guy is amazing.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux own your mum
The way I see it, becoming proficient with a double pedal can only add to your drumming options. Yes, a lot of metal bands rinse double-bass for all its worth and I don't really enjoy that as a style of drumming, however when used creatively it can add to the variety of possible grooves/fills. After all you wouldn't refuse to use both of your sticks on any other drum would you? Having a double pedal doesn't mean you have to sacrifice hi-hat work, it just gives you the option.
In theory, no it doesn't. In reality it probably does to some extent, in that playing double pedal well requires quite a lot of practice time. If you dedicate that practice time to being able to play interesting left-foot ostinatos on the hi-hat you'll have exactly the same number of extra musical options the double pedal would open up in your playing, yet I would argue that they'd be more practical and musical.

The real issue comes here, for me: What do you TAKE OUT of your practice routine in order to be able to put in double pedal practice? I can't think of anything to take out that is less musical than lots of fast notes on the bass drum, so for me I just let the double pedal rust! I do vaguely have a plan for it, but I need to buy an 18" bass drum... (need a remote pedal so I can get at two different bass drums with my right foot)
Old 11-07-2005, 03:11 AM

Thats true, i suppose you do need to use practice time. But double bass can be used for so much more than just every 16th note pounding, it opens up the use of a few fast 16ths in a groove, not at the expense of an interesting beat. you could still fit some hihat stuff in, just by changing over. I suppose if you are good at heel-toe you could do that anyway, but i'm not (my discipline and therefore technique sucks).
Old 11-07-2005, 03:30 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux own your mum
Thats true, i suppose you do need to use practice time. But double bass can be used for so much more than just every 16th note pounding, it opens up the use of a few fast 16ths in a groove, not at the expense of an interesting beat. you could still fit some hihat stuff in, just by changing over. I suppose if you are good at heel-toe you could do that anyway, but i'm not (my discipline and therefore technique sucks).
You're right - it doesn't have to be every 16th. I must admit I never liked that approach, I bought the double pedal basically because of Tim Alexander. But after listening to his stuff for a while longer I realised that most of what's really cool about it isn't the double pedal. His double pedal stuff sounds cool because his time and feel are so advanced, and because it works well with the bass drum sound he uses (which is appropriate in the band he's playing in). You could take away his double pedal and he'd still be a million times better than me and would still have his identity intact. The double pedal might be very obvious to drummers, but it's probably the smallest part of what makes Herb a really cool drummer.

The main thing that put me off was that the double pedal just never seemed to be seriously called for in anything I was doing. If I left it at home none of the music I was playing suffered in the slightest, and indeed was often better because I'd choose my notes more carefully. So it was really quite hard to justify working on it - I was becoming increasingly of the opinion that less is most definitely more on the bass drum. The way I see it, double-kick patterns under snare drum backbeats aren't any more interesting than snare drum patterns over a 4-on-the-floor bass drum, and you can pretty much interchange them in most musical situations for a similar effect.

The only exception would be if I was playing something like Meshuggah or Fear Factory where the fast kick drum is clearly required to double the other ludicrously fast parts flying around the low end. But considering I get asked to play that stuff approximately never I'll work on more useful stuff in the meantime instead!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:34 AM

I'm a single peddaler too, and I've been playing for almost a decade, haven't really thought of getting a double...
Old 11-07-2005, 03:56 AM

iv been playin 4 only a year and can do jo jo mayers technique. Would it be wrong for me to get one? Personally when i was at the gc drum off everyone used the double bass and to be honest it could be used in a very cool way espeacially in solos. I honestly wouldnt care about being extremly fast but just having the ability to do it.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Derek Matthews

I've been playing for about a month or so. I bought a double pedal with my kit. As I work on syncopation and stick work I switch which foot is doing the work. I am not really playing double bass but I am working on both feet, because I intend on playing double bass and want to make sure I play well. But, as of now, I am still crawling, and as all of you know you gotta crawl before you walk and walk before you run. I just got off my belly and started crawling.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Drad-dog

I always think of music as personal expression. If the double bass thing sounds good to you, and you want to work it in to what you do stylistically, then go for it. How much/often double bass is "required" in the music you happen to be playing shouldn't figure much. That said, someone said already that less is more, and I have to agree with that in many aspects of music. I would never use double bass even if someone gave me one.

a) no one has ever said "Hey man, where's your other bass pedal?"
b) more gear to haul around.

But I still think a drummer should follow the beat of their own drum in ALL respects. If you really want the double bass sound, you'll be glad you spent all the time practicing it, not regretful. Just don't sacrafice anything more important, like working on your groove. Otherwise you'll just be a a double bass wanker!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Pioneer Member

It's all personal preference and it depends on what you plan to use it for. But I always say you can never have too many tricks up your sleeve. There is nothing wrong with learning how to play one. If your not so sure about it, then pick up a good reliable used one or a cheap new one and see if you like it, if you don't think you will ever need it then at least you didn't play alot of money for it.
I have been playing a double bass pedal since 1988 and one was one of the first in my home town, but times have changed and more and more drummers are using them. Even if you don't play consistent double bass patterns for long periods of time in songs, it can be a nice element to throw it in once in a while if the song will be better for it. So in my opinion try it!

Listen to Neil Peart he isn't known as double bass player, but he uses his so musically in Rush's songs and it works perfect for what he wants to accomplish and the songs he uses it in just adds that much more to the song. He is one of my favorite all time drummers just like Weckl and he uses his more and more. They both may never be Thomas Lang, but then again they don't need to be.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:23 PM

I been playin drums for about 2 and a half years and i got my double kick when i was nearly a year playin and that in my opinion and still is my opinion WAY to early and i regret getting it that early cos i didnt really give myself a chance to build up single pedal but i working on my single now alot instead of always the double so my advice to you is to wait until YOU think your READY not wat other people think your the drummer who will be using it!
DRUM ON!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumGod
I been playin drums for about 2 and a half years and i got my double kick when i was nearly a year playin and that in my opinion and still is my opinion WAY to early and i regret getting it that early cos i didnt really give myself a chance to build up single pedal but i working on my single now alot instead of always the double so my advice to you is to wait until YOU think your READY not wat other people think your the drummer who will be using it!
DRUM ON!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't blame the double pedal for that I would blame you for not being disciplined enough to work on your single pedal technique as well as your double pedal technique. I still practice single pedal techniques and once I complete my excersises for that, then I start praticing my double pedal excersises and I have not encountered a drop-off in my single pedal playing just because I bought a double pedal. I think most would agree. Learning any new technique takes tremendous discipline.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:01 PM

it bugs me when people freak out about getting a double bass pedal. If you get a double bass pedal it doesn't make you a wuss because ur not using a single pedal. I know that when im going my fastest on my single pedal the strokes get weaker, even if its just a little bit. Having a double pedal would fix that so im going to try and get one. Also you don't have to stop practicing single pedal work just because u have a double pedal. I know that with some funky grooves i might wanna do some hi hat work instead of the second pedal, and im not good enough to use both at the same time lol. all im saying is that double pedals shouldn't be considered a bad thing in any aspect. Sure, it may be kinda wussy to use a double pedal for a beat instead of a single pedal, but if u practice u can still do the single pedal and just leave the second one out. BTW bonzo is one of my favorite drummers and if i had the kick mastery skillage that he did, my life would be complete.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Pioneer Member

yes. erm. no. erm. yes.

did that help?

(if you like the way it sounds do it - if not don't)

yes, erm no.

no don't do it.

NO!

yes
Old 11-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Now this comment might offend some and I don't mean to, BUT when I ever I say someone shouldn't try a double bass pedal or any new techique it is usually because the person discounting it can't play it. IMO... I just think you are cutting yourself short by not trying to try something different, it doesn't mean you can't be a good drummer or musician but to me music is about always trying to get better and always exploring different techniques that will help you accomplish that.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Pioneer Member

i agree with NuthaJason and aahznightsky's. Im not goin to get one until i can play one pedal. That was my original opinion anyway, but i just wasnt sure. And anyway if i did get one i dint want to play it like straight 16ths or even random 16ths i wanted to learn to play it so i coul incorerate it into my latin and afro cuban drumming. I rekon that db in latin/afro-cuban that the notes would be very syncapated and would just add to my drummming so much. I would play it like most people think because i dont play rock i play afro-cuban sort of things so thats why it was a harder desision (for me anyway). But i ve decided not to get one, and anyway they are too expensive. My teacher is one of the best jazz drummers in Australia (like he just gets called up to play in New york and that)(that was about a mont ago) and he has a double kicker but he says that he doesn't realyy use it besides sometimes in solos and that cause he doesn't need it cause he can play it all with one foot. and id rather have one HOLY $H1T foot than too OK feet. So thanks for ll ur input it really helped me.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Groover
hey i was thinking of getting a double bass pedal, but i dont no wether i should? So many ppl on this forum have a double bass pedal and thats fine but there are ppl that have that have only been playing for like 2months to a year! Now i think that that is way too early. ive been playing for 2 and a half years now but i dont want to get 1 till im ready. Why try to play to 2 pedals when you cant even play 1 pedal properly. So im thinking that i should get when ive been playing for like 4/5 years. Then ill actually be able to play one pedal properly then go for 2. What do u think

Thanks in advance
i think you can get one as long as you learn to use it instead of abusing it. example: John Blackwell, Tony royster Jr. etc..
Old 11-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Pioneer Member

You should look at the double bass like at bass drum pedal and hi-hat, when practicing you can do all the things with hihat and bass drum because you have two pedals and two legs :-)
It's just another surface which produce a different sound if you want that then get it!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 PM

Hey i've been playing for 4 years now and i just got my 2x pedal last year. I think they r great. i mean i ll admit my right foot is good but not good enough yet. but my left is like amazing now. so i mean it does have its perks and such, but i would get one. Nothing to costly, a middle of the road one. Cuz u might not even like it. But once u get goin theres no goin back!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:36 PM

i would get a double bass pedal. I've been drumming just over 3 1/2 years and my right foot is a monster (yes, even if i do say so myself). problem is, my left foot is wayyyyy behind. so,i got my double half a year ago and when im using my ride or open hats or something like that, i just use my left foot bass pedal 2 do my bass drum instead of my right foot. its gets the strength up and its an easy way 2 get ur left foot working.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:48 AM

hey hows it going, i personally think double kick is the way to go, i agree u need not get your left foot just about as strong, here is a trick for u to try once u have the double kick down. this will allow you to have control of your high hat and still play double kick. use the fron of your left foot to control your high hat and then use your heal to kick the left bass pedal (only works on double bass pedals not 2 bass drums) it might take a little while for you to get used to but it will allow you to do some kick ass doubles and still have control of your hats. you should be able to multi-task your are a drummer remember.

ps. check out my bands recording at www.purevolume.com/rosemarysbaby remember they are very low quality recordings.

nunner
Old 11-20-2005, 02:14 AM

There are some things you can do with a double pedal that you can simply not do with a single. For ex. check out the Thomas Lang videos. If the music you play doesn't call for this kind of playing don't buy one. If you do buy one make sure you don't use it as a cheater pedal!! Quads and Triplets should be solid with just one foot!!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Silver Member

I think u SHOULD play double bass. it just makes so much more possible on ur kit. BUT, do not completely neglect ur single foot. get ur single foot douples and triplets, stuff like that, down too. dont play double bass to single foot beats. i made that mistake. i fixed it though. its a pain.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:21 AM
Slayer_metal_head

Buying a double bass pedal is like buying a new tool for your workshop its not like if you buy it too early you are going to die andoyu will suck forever, but think of this if you start off with hte doulbe pedal you will progress with both feet at the same level, but if you start off with the single pedal and uve used it for two years it'll take you that long to get the left ffot back up to your right foot. nut im getting a pedal soon im just thinking of it as a tool and i am also mesmerized at the way it looks when you use both very fast.

But yes try too realize that you can do alot with one foot that you dont need a double pedal for when i just started i listened to pop rock and they were doing quads than a snare hit and i thought you needed a double pedal for that but you dont and i can do it with one pedal now and i have a well develloped right foot and my drum teacher encourages me to get one now.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:21 PM

Ive been playing for around 2 years and i bought a double pedal the second month i started playing. Single pedal is fun but i figured that when i use a double pedal ur playing sounds more full. U can add foot triplets wherever and do many more things. Now i clocked my feet at 200bpm's which is the fastest i can go without missing beats so its all practice and fun. By the way now i got much better with my hihat playing also because of my double pedals. I play left handed Axis Xl2 pedals. Insane pedals.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Double Bass Pedal Reccomendations.

Yo I'm a drummer looking for a good sophisticated double bass pedal, within the price rande of $200-$250. Right now I have a single Tama Camco and I like it pretty good but I'd really like to get a double bass pedal with speed and power. Any help would be much appreciated :).
Old 11-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Thinshells

Default Re: Double Bass Pedal Reccomendations.

If this isn't the #1 more frequently asked question, then I am not sure what is. You should do a search for this, but honestly, this forum should have a sticky. Every week or so someone else posts the same thing without ever searching. A sticky would put all that info in one spot.