DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 AM

Default Mapex Saturn Players Unite!

Should be pretty self-explanatory. Post some pics, specs of your kit, experience with it and join the growing army of mapex saturn warriors. Just bought a Saturn kit myself so i'm interested in who else uses the kit. Here's mine.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=688408898

Drums
Mapex Saturn Studioease 6 piece drum kit (new for '08) in Antique Ivory Lacquer Finish
22x18" bass drum
10x8" rack tom
12x9" rack tom
14x14" floor tom
16x16" floor tom
14x5.5" snare drum

Cymbals
Sabian AA Medium 21" ride
Zildjian K (not sure, but it has the engraving) Heavy Ride 21", turned into sizzle ride
Sabian B8 16" Crash
Zildjian A 12" Splash
Zildjian K Custom Dark Splash
Zildjian A Custom/Z Dyno Beat 13" Hi-Hats
Old 11-26-2008, 04:54 PM
nhzoso

Default Re: Mapex Saturn Players Unite!

Anyone have any good recommendations for heads on this kit? (Maple/Walnut) I have Evans G2 coated on the toms right now and they sound good but I am thinking it could be even better if I dumped the stock remo reso's. What heads are you fellow Saturn users using?

Luigi I will check out your pics when I get home, I cant get on facebook here at work, I will also post some pics and stats of mine as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

A good resource for you Mapex guys & gals.

http://centerstagem.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15
Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 AM

Here's my Saturns. I brought them second hand for a steal play them one up two down know so will try to get some new photo's when they set up.Other than a Gretsch i played these are the nicest drums i have ever heard/played(even DW's). And in regards to skins Clear or coated G2 over G1 emperor over ambassador cant go wrong.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2008, 03:04 AM
nhzoso

Thanks for the website 2b,

Gorgeous kit cypris, what was the model Gretsch you had that sounded better?

The biggest complaint I have about my saturn is the ring from the snare.. I just cannot seem to get rid of it without adding a ring muffler. I had an evans coated rev power dot, and now an Evans EC reverse dot snare head and I still have to add a muffler ring? I thought about changing the stock ambassador reso but I doubt that will help at all. I am still trying to develop a tuning ear so I bought and used a drum dial in conjunction with the evans torque key, bought an aluminum die cast rim, and still she rings like nobodies business.

Luckily I have my supraphonic which is what I use most of the time but I would like to use the maple/walnut snare but someting tells me this wood combo does not work with a snare drum.

Any thought or suggestions?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:09 AM
Whitedrummer

I'm more than happy to oblige, here's my Saturn kit in rootbeer burst sparkle finish.
9x12
14x14
16x16
14x22

Old 11-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Whitedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiSuper17 View Post
Should be pretty self-explanatory. Post some pics, specs of your kit, experience with it and join the growing army of mapex saturn warriors. Just bought a Saturn kit myself so i'm interested in who else uses the kit. Here's mine.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=688408898

Drums
Mapex Saturn Studioease 6 piece drum kit (new for '08) in Antique Ivory Lacquer Finish
22x18" bass drum
10x8" rack tom
12x9" rack tom
14x14" floor tom
16x16" floor tom
14x5.5" snare drum

Cymbals
Sabian AA Medium 21" ride
Zildjian K (not sure, but it has the engraving) Heavy Ride 21", turned into sizzle ride
Sabian B8 16" Crash
Zildjian A 12" Splash
Zildjian K Custom Dark Splash
Zildjian A Custom/Z Dyno Beat 13" Hi-Hats
How do I access the pictures?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedrummer View Post
I'm more than happy to oblige, here's my Saturn kit in rootbeer burst sparkle finish.
9x12
14x14
16x16
14x22

I think thats the nicest finish that they have brought out so far would love to see it in real life.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Aggressivec

I am purchasing a Mapex Saturn kit soon from massmusic.net. I'm buying the following sizes...

22x18
10x8
12x9
16x16
18x16

Unfortunatly, I can't afford the 18x16 floor tom yet, so I will have to wait to buy it to complete my set. I will end up buying a Mapex 13x6 Maple Black Panther to accompany my Mapex set. I am so excited!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Oodles of pictures of my Saturn here;

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40416
Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 PM

My Contribution, Saturn Studio Rootbeer Burst

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Aggressivec

I'll post a picture of my Saturns that are coming in a few weeks. The sizes will be...

22x18
10x8
12x9
16x16
18x16

Unfortunately, I cannot afford the 18x16 floor tom right away, but I will have it about a month after I actually buy the kit. I'm thinking I will go with the Black Saphire color because I really like the shade of blue.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM

I have had my mapex for over a year now, and they never cease to amaze me. All my bandmates also comment on the sound, often saying it is the best drum sound they have ever heard. I guess it all boils down to the tuning and heads.

All I am really saying is:

GO MAPEX SATURN SERIES!!!!

The most consistent, best drums I have ever played on.

You can see the pictures and recordings of moderate quality at www.myspace.com/paulzimmerdrummer
If interested.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 AM

I got my Saturn's this summer, and they have to be the best investment I have ever made. I picked up the limited edition kit with Walnut and Birch plies. My sizes are:
22x20 bass
10x8, 12x9 mounted toms
14x12, 16x14 floor toms
and i have a Chad Smith Lim. Ed. Snare(Pearl)
I have the Galaxy Fade I belive, and it looks amazing. I'll be adding some pictures soon.
LONG LIVE THE SATURN!!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 PM

i got my saturn in august such an amazing kit i love it so much.
i got the limited edition krystal krush wrap la stomp kit

Sizes:

22x20 bass
14x7 snare
12x8 tom
16x16 floortom
Old 01-03-2009, 06:00 AM

I'm just reposting my pics in an easier format. Check it out!
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Anyone have any good recommendations for heads on this kit? (Maple/Walnut) I have Evans G2 coated on the toms right now and they sound good but I am thinking it could be even better if I dumped the stock remo reso's. What heads are you fellow Saturn users using?

Luigi I will check out your pics when I get home, I cant get on facebook here at work, I will also post some pics and stats of mine as well.
Dude....Remo Black Suede Emperors for batters, ambassadors for the resonants.
Never had a better drum sound in my life....
Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 AM

What tentions do you put the heads too with the black sueds? ex. batter high reso. low,, batter low reso high... etc
Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmapex View Post
What tentions do you put the heads too with the black sueds? ex. batter high reso. low,, batter low reso high... etc
I keep em pretty much at the same tension; somewhere around a medium high tension.
The closer the two heads are to eachother, the more constant the pitch that the drum creates.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I got my Saturn's this summer, and they have to be the best investment I have ever made. I picked up the limited edition kit with Walnut and Birch plies. My sizes are:
22x20 bass
10x8, 12x9 mounted toms
14x12, 16x14 floor toms
and i have a Chad Smith Lim. Ed. Snare(Pearl)
I have the Galaxy Fade I belive, and it looks amazing. I'll be adding some pictures soon.
LONG LIVE THE SATURN!!
It is the best looking Saturn, I too have exactly the same setup and finish and the kit has my mouth dropping when I play it, it's just about the sweetest drum kit I've owned, and this is my ninth kit.

I have the Chad Smith sig snare too but I don't use it that often with my Saturn, I tend to use a pair of Mapex Black Panther snares 14x5.5 and 10x5.5 with my kit.

This image is different to the next one on, this one was a try out with a different setup by placing the 14" floor on my left, found it was getting used as a towel stand more than a drum ;D

The snare in this pic is a Tama Warlord Valyrie 13" and it's another great sounding snare...

The Mapex Black Panther twins as I call them....

Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Mapex Saturn SW7287U LTD
22"x18"
8"x 7
10"x 8"
12"x9
14x14" ft
16"x16" ft

Sonor SSE 14"x7" waxblack birch snare
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozz View Post
It is the best looking Saturn, I too have exactly the same setup and finish and the kit has my mouth dropping when I play it, it's just about the sweetest drum kit I've owned, and this is my ninth kit.

I have the Chad Smith sig snare too but I don't use it that often with my Saturn, I tend to use a pair of Mapex Black Panther snares 14x5.5 and 10x5.5 with my kit.

This image is different to the next one on, this one was a try out with a different setup by placing the 14" floor on my left, found it was getting used as a towel stand more than a drum ;D

The snare in this pic is a Tama Warlord Valyrie 13" and it's another great sounding snare...

The Mapex Black Panther twins as I call them....

Not too correct you but we have the same set up and all but, i think you have a Galaxy Burst, and mines a Galaxy Fade, yours goes Black, Silver, Black, while my finish just goes Silver to Black. But they both look amazing, i espeacially like the black nickle hardware, nice kit by the way
Old 03-08-2009, 09:04 PM

My mapex saturn la series in crystal krush finish.

Since this pic when i first got it ive upgraded my cymbals to AAX
and gotten pearl eliminator double pedals

Specs
22x20
12x9
16x16
14x7 snare

14" AAX hats
16" AAX crash
20" AAX ride
18" AAX chinese
10" AAX splash

Currently saving for 18" crash and two more toms.. love this kit such a beautiful sound it produces =]
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

It's cool to see the same model outfitted for such differing musical styles! Everything from punk to jazz to metal to my whatever:

2003 Saturn Pro fusion model but with a 20" bass drum instead of a 22" (10-12-14-16 toms)

You can see more of it here integrated in with an electronic kit or here for more general shots.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
fusssion

I would be so tempted to order a Saturn kit, ...but for one huge issue (in my eyes) The Saturn line doesn't offer a 9x13! The Meridian line does, ...but...number 2 on the list of high-end kits from Mapex doesn't ....dumb!
Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 AM

im getting new heads in about 2 weeks and wondering what you guys are running. I have the stock Mapex Remo heads and im thinking of just replacing the batters, because the resos seem fine, any suggestions?
Thanks Brad
Old 04-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Not too correct you but we have the same set up and all but, i think you have a Galaxy Burst, and mines a Galaxy Fade, yours goes Black, Silver, Black, while my finish just goes Silver to Black. But they both look amazing, i espeacially like the black nickle hardware, nice kit by the way
No worries, I don't mind being corrected at all :o)

Yeah mine is the Galaxy Burst, but it's more of a Blackbluesilverblueblack.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
im getting new heads in about 2 weeks and wondering what you guys are running. I have the stock Mapex Remo heads and im thinking of just replacing the batters, because the resos seem fine, any suggestions?
Thanks Brad
I'm currently using coated EC2's and clear EC2 reso's

I have recently bought the coated G-Plus heads but not put them onyet (waiting for the EC2's to perish), the reviews state the G-Plus's are very good. In for a penny, in for a pound
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 PM

some of these kits are smoking! lol

moose

(\_/)
(O.o)
(><)
MOOSE IS HERE!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48228
Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Here are some shots of my Saturns in various configurations...
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 PM

Hey

Thought I'd share my thoughts with you aswell!

Last saturday I bought a second hand immaculate condition 2009 Mapex Saturn in Galaxy Burst, complimented by a limited edition Solid Steel 14*5.5 Black Panther Snare.
I got the Kit, snare, Hardcases, eliminator double pedal, eliminator hihat stand and loads of other wee gubbins etc. All for 800 gbp. Not bad for over 2k's worth and a kit that was 7 months old, and had been on tour with Natasha Bedingfield and Hilary duff!! (How the owner managed to keep it so immaculate on tour is well beyond me!!!)

Got the kit in the morning, replaced the heads on it to the EC2 clears, (i wanted coated but boy are they hard to get), tuned it up and played it in church. I have to say I am more than surpised at the thump and lowend that the 20 by 18 bass has!! I was a little concerned that it would not sound as big as my 22 from my previous PDP MX kit, but heck I was wrong. Even without a proper tuning the bass sound was almost perfect for what I want!! The 10, 12, 14 20, 14sn setup is perfect I suspect for anyone playing anything up to the realms of hard rock music. The tones are warmer than I was even used to on previous maple kit's. Even with rutes / splits / hotrods in quieter songs these babies sounded sweet!

I am going to place pics up in a week or so when I get to take it out of its cases again, and I can not wait till I do. Even the look of the kit is so photogenic.

Thinking as well about removing the bass / tom mount and having the virgin bass drum, to allow a wee bit more flexibility in the setup as I run 1 up 2 down. Is it a hard mod to make do you guys know?

Aside of that, the only other mod I want to make is to Emad the bass drum. Done it on all my other kits and it sounded great. I expect it to be great on this too!!

BTW joecrabtree.com His website is offering the discount to $30 on his 1 hour long video lessons.Its like a years subscription and his lessons are pretty good. the only wee thing is that some of the lessons are aimed at a particular person who's called him for an over the phone lesson I think. None the less that aside, I got them a few days ago and am loving them so far!! Excited to be enthused about learning again!!!!

All the best guys.. Pics to follow!

God Bless

Jonny
Old 08-01-2009, 02:50 PM

Also....

How good is it that the finish is not actually a wrap job??? Its an actual paint finish!!!
How hard must that be to get right and keep the kits looking like they do??

JW
Old 08-09-2009, 12:07 AM

This is my kit in Mango Burst, studio configuration!
Great kit, I have used it in many different situations and it has yet to fail me;)
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 AM

ive been thingin about mounting my floortom so i have a 3up 1 down sort fo thing goin on. But i am wondering if i should mount it with the floor tom leg holders on the bottem, or flip it over and have it on the top lugs, which would have to involve me swaping the heads.

in the pic it shows the way i am talking about, with the floor tom leg holders on the bottem, but only replace the leg with a tom mount. or should i flip it over? Thanks
b r a d .
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 PM

I would say turn it around, it wil be much sturdier ( I don't know how to spell that word) :)

Bram
Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
ive been thingin about mounting my floortom so i have a 3up 1 down sort fo thing goin on. But i am wondering if i should mount it with the floor tom leg holders on the bottem, or flip it over and have it on the top lugs, which would have to involve me swaping the heads.

in the pic it shows the way i am talking about, with the floor tom leg holders on the bottem, but only replace the leg with a tom mount. or should i flip it over? Thanks
b r a d .
Personally i had problems having a 14" tom as a rack tom. It seems a bit too big for me. But if you want this setup then have the leg holders on the top because that way it'll be better.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyweston View Post
Hey

Thought I'd share my thoughts with you aswell!

Last saturday I bought a second hand immaculate condition 2009 Mapex Saturn in Galaxy Burst, complimented by a limited edition Solid Steel 14*5.5 Black Panther Snare.
I got the Kit, snare, Hardcases, eliminator double pedal, eliminator hihat stand and loads of other wee gubbins etc. All for 800 gbp. Not bad for over 2k's worth and a kit that was 7 months old, and had been on tour with Natasha Bedingfield and Hilary duff!! (How the owner managed to keep it so immaculate on tour is well beyond me!!!)

Got the kit in the morning, replaced the heads on it to the EC2 clears, (i wanted coated but boy are they hard to get), tuned it up and played it in church. I have to say I am more than surpised at the thump and lowend that the 20 by 18 bass has!! I was a little concerned that it would not sound as big as my 22 from my previous PDP MX kit, but heck I was wrong. Even without a proper tuning the bass sound was almost perfect for what I want!! The 10, 12, 14 20, 14sn setup is perfect I suspect for anyone playing anything up to the realms of hard rock music. The tones are warmer than I was even used to on previous maple kit's. Even with rutes / splits / hotrods in quieter songs these babies sounded sweet!

I am going to place pics up in a week or so when I get to take it out of its cases again, and I can not wait till I do. Even the look of the kit is so photogenic.

Thinking as well about removing the bass / tom mount and having the virgin bass drum, to allow a wee bit more flexibility in the setup as I run 1 up 2 down. Is it a hard mod to make do you guys know?

Aside of that, the only other mod I want to make is to Emad the bass drum. Done it on all my other kits and it sounded great. I expect it to be great on this too!!

BTW joecrabtree.com His website is offering the discount to $30 on his 1 hour long video lessons.Its like a years subscription and his lessons are pretty good. the only wee thing is that some of the lessons are aimed at a particular person who's called him for an over the phone lesson I think. None the less that aside, I got them a few days ago and am loving them so far!! Excited to be enthused about learning again!!!!

All the best guys.. Pics to follow!

God Bless

Jonny

my god where did you find that id have bit his hand off for that. sell off my old cases kit etc and have some more for cymbals :)

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 AM

I know im kinda late but here are some pics of my Saturns
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Yep, Saturn's are awesome. Simple enough,,,,needed more characters
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 AM

I am too late. Unity Trading Penny Stocks.