DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 AM

Default New Cymbals - Old Drums

Well I finally got some pics of my current setup, and I'm a little embarrassed about the drums age and condition so here's the disclaimer:
The original kit I bought (the white pearl export) I got in 1996 and when I bought it, it was 5 years old. It was not taken care of so I got it rather cheap, it is solid wood plys however. Which brings me to the next point, the silver drums you see are from the "band's" drumset that was left by a previous member, and these were not shown any love by the previous owner, and while the baring edges show plys the inside of the drum doesn't show anything like a wood grain, not sure what it is. It is also an export but I'm not sure it's solid wood, it looks extremely cheap to me. And the horrible finish just sends it over the edge. Anyway I do my best to get it to sound decent, it's a gigging set and it does it's job.

alas I do the best I can with what I have.

As some of you may know I have an order placed for the new Stage Custom, which will come in Oct.

This however is my current setup:
10, 13, 13, 16, 22 - Pearl Exports piece parts from different kits.
13x5 Grover Snare left to the band by the last drummer, just needed some love it sounds decent now.
With Brand new (as of March '08):
Icon Rack, Roc-Soc, DW5002's, All new boom arms, and New 5000 HH stand.
Zildjians: (I'll start with the big sizes and work my way down)
20" Flat Top Ride,
20" Projection Ride,
18" K Dark Crash thin,
17" K Dark Crash thin,
14" K Dark Crash thin,
13" Armand HiHats,
12" Z Custom Splash,
10" A Custom Splash,
8" A Custom Splash,
6" Zil-Bel.
LP Aluminum 72-Bar Whole Tone Chimes.

ok I'll stop talking now.....
07-04-08 Gig - Stafford Grand Opening1.....
HA! check out that face...lmao

07-04-08 Gig - Stafford Grand Opening2.....

07-04-08 Gig - Stafford Grand Opening3.....

One of my favorite pics...In the Groove.....

Last edited by Fett2oo5; 07-10-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:19 PM

Default Re: New Cymbals - Old Drums

I'll see if I can get some pics without the drums, so you can see the new hardware setup and the new cymbals.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Pioneer Member

looks sweet man, very nice.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 07-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Sweet. Icon racks really help to bring out that "imposing" factor in a kit. Looks great. Bar chimes are a nice touch, how much do you find yourself using them?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

very cool...i wish i could afford some stuff like that.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Our band has 2.5 Hours of original songs, and we have about 7-8 songs in our Cover arsenal. So for a normal gig (2 hours) we don't get to play all of our original songs, nevertheless I think over a 2 hour gig I use the chimes on about 4-6 songs (it depends on how creative I am that night)

I'm particularly found of my discision to get the Flat ride and the Chimes, using them on the slower songs and in the soft areas dramatically enhances the feel of songs. the first time I started using them at a practice, the rest of the band's eyes lit up and got really wide. They loved the sound.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 PM

One of the things I like to do with the Chimes & Flat Top Ride..... I carry a pair of Marimba mallets in my stick bag. Well during a soft part of a sing, where it is just the front man singing and playing, I will hold both the mallets in my left hand with my index finger in between them to seperate them a little. And in my right I will have a stick, play various rythms to go along with what the front man is doing, all the while slowly rolling on one of the crashes (roll on the cymbal with one mallet above the cymbal one mallet below the cymbal.

Since the Chimes are near the Flat top, I will roll down the chime in different parts of the song, combined with small and big to very big rolls on the cymbal for the climatic parts.

...wow this is harder to explain than I thought I should just take some pics or get a video of it and show you guys. It's a really cool effect, I've been doing the singlehand cymbal rolls since Highschool and have always dug it, you should try it.

BTW - thanks for the views and the comments. =)
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post
One of the things I like to do with the Chimes & Flat Top Ride..... I carry a pair of Marimba mallets in my stick bag. Well during a soft part of a sing, where it is just the front man singing and playing, I will hold both the mallets in my left hand with my index finger in between them to seperate them a little. And in my right I will have a stick, play various rythms to go along with what the front man is doing, all the while slowly rolling on one of the crashes (roll on the cymbal with one mallet above the cymbal one mallet below the cymbal.

Since the Chimes are near the Flat top, I will roll down the chime in different parts of the song, combined with small and big to very big rolls on the cymbal for the climatic parts.

...wow this is harder to explain than I thought I should just take some pics or get a video of it and show you guys. It's a really cool effect, I've been doing the singlehand cymbal rolls since Highschool and have always dug it, you should try it.

BTW - thanks for the views and the comments. =)
Ah I love that trick. And let me tell you, it's especially handy for playing musicals.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 PM

It's also a pretty sweet way to transition from the slow/soft Intro of a song into the main jam/groove section. Because you can be rolling on the cymbal with one hand and picking up your sticks with the other hand. HAHA sneaky sneaky!

Good Lord! I love being a drummer!!!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

I second the notion of racks being imposing - but in a good way for sure.

It makes the kit look solid, and like you really are the foundation of the band.

But I guess there is the downside that maybe it is a barrier between you and the rest of the band? like on small stages and such?

hmm, Istill like the idea behind rackage though.

xx

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)