DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Default HART PROFESSIONAL 6.4 - Electronic Drums

So...

I was browsing the net, reading about E-drums... a thing I though of never doing till I find myself in the "impasse" (isn't that french btw) to get an Electronic drumset ... (too tricky to soundproof the apartment)

So I ended up on this page http://www.hartdynamics.com/video/index.html#GIGA%20PRO and viewed the HART PROFESSIONAL 6.4 demo.

First of, did anyone here ever heard of Hart Dynamics and ever used their gears ? if yes please please share your experience...

Secondly, can you recommend or suggest an E-drums (nothing amateurish please) which would be as cloooose as possible to a standard beloved (worshiped) set?

Did I sound pathetic in this post? I hope not :)

Thanks guys and "longue vie" to Drummerworld (crap another french word)
Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Default Re: HART PROFESSIONAL 6.4 - Electronic Drums

I can recommend them highly. Mine are only 18 months old and the Hart technology is better than it has been in the past so others who have had difficulties may have older kits than mine. I use mine with a Roland TD-12 module (the minimum module I'd recommend for that setup). If you want the most expertise on e-drums I'd recommend www.vdrums.com
Also check out www.Fielddrums.com for kits/cymbals that look very acoustic and http://www.retpercussion.us/
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM

Thanks Pasta

I am currently looking over the Roland TD-20S http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLTD20SBK

seems quite cool... what is important for me, is to not loose too much of the feel I get when playing on acoustic...

did you ever get to play or try them?

thanks again,
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Here is my experiance with the 6.4.

My first E kit was a TD-10, it worked great but I had the original rubber pads for cymbals. I found Hart Dynamics and sold my TD-10 kit to buy the 6.4. I also bought a TD-8 for the brain. on the upside,The Hart kit is built like a tank. The Hart people are great. But there was a down side for me. remember I previously had a TD-10 kit, I expected the Hart kit to trigger and react at least as well. I never got it there. I tweaked for ever, I spent many hours with the kit, with Hart on the phone and even had to call Roland a few time. I finally got to the point where I wanted to play the drums not tweak them. I sold the kit, bought a TD-20 kit and have never looked back. I love my TD-20 kit. I am sure that with enough tweaking you can get the hart kit to work well, I just felt like for that much money I shouldn't have too.

Here is my TD-20 kit

Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-09-2008, 08:24 PM

I've played a TD-12 (one of my students has one) but not a 20. The TD-12 mesh pads are not as big as the Harts and have a bit more bounce, IMO. I like my Gigapro much better. Though none of the local music stores where I am carry Hart, another of my students has the 5.3 and that's what sold me on them.

MF has a good deal on a scratch and dent Hart:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=445441X

RMCaudio.com also has great prices and will customize a kit for you. If you want Roland cymbals and Hart drums, they will make it happen. You need to ask for a quote because their prices are lower than the manufacturers allow them to advertise. Also BPMmusic.com

Here's a thread about Harts from a few years ago.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21128

Also, if you don't have to have the Pro set, the Gigapro is the Acupad version and triggers and feels the same as the Pro but doesn't have that acoustic look. Also a lot lighter to carry around.

Last edited by pasta; 07-09-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

The bounce from the drums can be controlled with tension so do not let that be a factor. I actually found the Hart Bass drum to bounce far more then the Roland but I am sure I could have loosened the head and fixed that.

One of the things that attracted me to the Harts was the smaller toms mixed with th larger ones, it looks and feels a little more natural.

The Hart kits are great but you really have to be committed to dialing them in. Thats the down side in my experiance.

The upside is they are great people,the drums look awesome and are built like a tank.

Again I have owned them both and went back to the Rolands, again just my experiance.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the answers guys.

the TD 20 got me hooked... but where I live I would have to pay about 8800 USD, yeah that's how Europe sucks :-/ (http://www.thomann.de/gb/electronic_drumsets.html)

Any of you has experienced with acoustic kits using mesh heads ?

sincerely,
Old 07-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Can't you buy from a US dealer and have it shipped as a gift from a friend or family member?
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 PM

Others with experience doing this have said that mesh heads will eat away at your bearing edges. They recommend covering them with tape before you do it. It will work, though. That's what people use for DIY electronic kits. Since the prices in Europe are so high, you might want to think about a DIY kit or check into some kits manufactured in your area.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ht...show/912184441

www.2box.se
Old 07-14-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta View Post
Others with experience doing this have said that mesh heads will eat away at your bearing edges. They recommend covering them with tape before you do it. It will work, though. That's what people use for DIY electronic kits. Since the prices in Europe are so high, you might want to think about a DIY kit or check into some kits manufactured in your area.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ht...show/912184441

www.2box.se
Yeah, I might end up just doing so... I never hit on a mesh head before, would that affect in the long run my playing on acoustic as it is with plastic head ?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM

The mesh heads are bouncy compared to mylar. If you're playing both fairly regularly, I doubt the mesh playing will affect your technique on acoustics. I don't have a problem with it.