DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-06-2008, 06:36 PM

Default PA for Roland TD12....

Hi all,

Before you all shout "get a real drum kit" or whatever, I play electronic drums. I have a TD12 which, in all fairness, delivers a more than adequate sound and I love playing it.

This is all very well in the "drum room" at my house, but when I take it to practice with the band, I have guitars, bass and vocals to contend with. I simply don't have enough power coming out of my speakers.

Does anyone have any experience with using this type of kit on stage and or for practicing with a rock band? I would like to find out what is the best solution for amplifying the sound.

Incidentally I went to my local music shop and tried a few powered speakers out (even up to 500w) and i really didn't like the sound - the bass drivers just can't cope with the kick drum.

I tried a bass guitar amp and it sounded much better and there was considerable power.

What do you guys reckon I should try? I'm looking around ebay for various PA systems that could be used for practicing and even for small gigs... but I have no idea what people like me using electronic kits do. Any ideas?

Many thanks all

Rich
Old 07-06-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Re: PA for Roland TD12....

For practice why don't the guitarists and vocalist just turn down to your level?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoney22 View Post
For practice why don't the guitarists and vocalist just turn down to your level?
True. At at gig the sound will be better with PA subs. I use powered 15s with 200 watts each and that is plenty for rehearsal.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 PM

I use two 210 watts, 12inch York tops and a 10inch 200 watt sub. After a little EQ its sounds good.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Roland TDA-700, built for that kinda thing.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 PM

If your goin down the P.A road make sure you do it right, powered speakers arent great so i would get a decent power amp . . X-over . . . Top's n Bin's . . and a smart little mixer ( you dont need 32 channels lol) make sure the amp has the power to control the bottom end, and set it right on the X-over. Should be able to get it sounding Sweet.
Bearing in mind this option isnt cheap so consider if this realy is a good lead to take.
I dont know what your band use for Vocals, but would that be powerfull enough to take the sound?

Dan
Old 07-07-2008, 10:32 PM

1st up - thanks to Mod for moving my post to the correct location - sorry - wasn't thinking straight ;)

Then - thanks to you guys for replying. It sure is a bit of a problem but it looks like I could sort it given the correct gear. I'm going to have a look around and check out the options given your advice.

With regard to getting the guitarists to turn it down... yeah... I tried that, but you know guitarists ;)

One other thing, do any of you guys have any experience fine tuning this type of kit to stop triggers when the bass guitar amp kicks in a bit hard? any experience of using a TD12 or similar with mesh heads on stage?

Thanks again folks - I sure appreciate the help

Cheers

Rich
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 PM

I find using bass combos work a treat, and I know alot of other drummers that do the same.
Any bog-standard bass combo by makes such as Peavey or Ampeg can handle electronic drums and still produce a reasonable sound. If you are only practicing then theres no point in spending quite alot for a full PA rig for one little electronic kit. Also, drum amplification can become a bit expensive unless you go for the lower end Roland drum amps.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 PM

I went down to my "local" music shop and tried a few things out. It's so difficult to audition PA equipment in such a huge room. the shop is as big as an aircraft hangar!

Anyway, I checked out the PM-30, but I think I was trying too hard to be impressed.
I tried a few other things out and finally the HK Audio LUCAS Smart. Which seemed to move quite a lot of air for it's size.

Anyway, much to my amazement, the guys LENT this to me so that I can check it out at home (or with the rehersal this weekend) and then I can let em know and they'll sell me a new one. (?!)

If it's not quite powerful enough, i may try the Powerworks POWO system (also HK Audio, but it seems the only difference is that it's made in China... and the price tag is a lot lighter)

I checked out the Smart system at home where I practice mostly and it makes a very nice warm sound - very well balanced! I can crank the volume up sufficiently to have a LOT of fun too.

I'll let you know what happens this WE at rehersal to see if it can cope!

FYI, in France,

HK Audio L.U.C.A.S. Smart 410W RMS Sub Sat system 1109
Powerworks POWO 600W RMS around 700

Cheers

Rich
Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM

Hi All,

Just a quick note:

I trialled the HK Audio L.U.C.A.S. Smart gear yesterday and the system sounded excellent. A really nice, warm and accurate sound. Plus we used the mic input for vocals. It seems I've finally reached an accord with the guitarists to play at a level that is loud, but not too ear-bashing.

It's a great system, plenty of power, great sound - I'm keeping it.

Cheers

Rich