DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 PM

Default Ahead drumming gloves

I've been considering getting a pair of these, because my only real complaint about the Ahead sticks I use is the lack of grip (I've tried the grip tape).

What are the disadvantages to these gloves? Would they be ideal for mostly Extreme Metal drumming, but also Jazz and Latin?

Also, are they breathable, does it get too warm wearing them?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ahead drumming gloves

The only disadvantage really is the fact you might miss the feel of the wood on your hands, but if your using ahead sticks, this wont be an issue.

Also, the gloves dont really heat up too much more than bare hands, but sonce your hands are wrapped in glove, the sweat might build up a tad bit, but i guess thats better than having your sticks fly off into the crowd.....

besides, you can always dry your hands off between songs.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
The only disadvantage really is the fact you might miss the feel of the wood on your hands, but if your using ahead sticks, this wont be an issue.

Also, the gloves dont really heat up too much more than bare hands, but sonce your hands are wrapped in glove, the sweat might build up a tad bit, but i guess thats better than having your sticks fly off into the crowd.....

besides, you can always dry your hands off between songs.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 AM

Don't know about Ahead gloves, I hear they like to fray. But Vater gloves are getting a good rep.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethcake View Post
Don't know about Ahead gloves, I hear they like to fray. But Vater gloves are getting a good rep.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

At my local music store I noticed they have only Ahead gloves and Zildjian gloves; are the Zildjians any good?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastface View Post
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

At my local music store I noticed they have only Ahead gloves and Zildjian gloves; are the Zildjians any good?

Infact, they are awesome. I've used them for a while now. When you first try them on, the leather may seem a bit too thin to stand up to any real abuse but they work fine. Ive only have to replace mine once. They have a nice mesh backing that helps relieve the heat that gets built up. The leather allows you to still feel the stick a bit. My one complaint is that once you sweat in them a couple times, the leather can become stiff and can be uncomfortable when you first put them on.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

I don't even wear shoes when I play, I have never even considered gloves. I don't get it. I want to feel the sticks.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 AM

I've seen drummers, like Chris Adler, use sporting gloves like Neumann. I think they are football gloves, mostly. I don't know how they work, but if a drummer of his caliber uses them, that must mean something.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I don't even wear shoes when I play, I have never even considered gloves. I don't get it. I want to feel the sticks.
Well my biggest reason for using them is that I was a jazz guy all throughout high school and never played hard at all. When I got out on my own, I joined a metal band and my hands weren't as ready as I was to play triple forte for an hour gig. They cut down on the friction so I could practice the next day. I'd prefer not to have to deal with healing inbetween going balls to the wall at a metal show.

Otherwise, I have weened myself off of using them. Once my hands are callused up, i'm good to go.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendecahedron View Post
I've seen drummers, like Chris Adler, use sporting gloves like Neumann. I think they are football gloves, mostly. I don't know how they work, but if a drummer of his caliber uses them, that must mean something.
Carter Beauford also wears FootJoy golf gloves on both hands.. seen it firsthand at the DMB concert the other weekend.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

they work well with the ahead sticks. But every pair ive owned has ripped, i ripped a pair once the first time i put them on. I was POed.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
they work well with the ahead sticks. But every pair ive owned has ripped, i ripped a pair once the first time i put them on. I was POed.
Are you talking about Ahead or Neumann gloves?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

the ahead gloves, u just have to make sure you take them off slowly. and makin sure you have the correct sized helps lol :P
Old 07-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Save your money... Use batting gloves. They are stronger and cheaper and guess who makes them? Easton... the same company that makes the Ahead gloves.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I agree and can't imagine why anyone would ever want to wear drum gloves. I always thought it was a stupid marketing gimmick to label batting gloves "drum gloves" and sell them to more people. I can't picture them helping anything.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeyInChains View Post
Well my biggest reason for using them is that I was a jazz guy all throughout high school and never played hard at all. When I got out on my own, I joined a metal band and my hands weren't as ready as I was to play triple forte for an hour gig. They cut down on the friction so I could practice the next day. I'd prefer not to have to deal with healing inbetween going balls to the wall at a metal show.

Otherwise, I have weened myself off of using them. Once my hands are callused up, i'm good to go.
Why are your hands callused? If you're holding the sticks correctly you shouldn't be getting caluses or blisters. I've played plenty of different styles on plenty of gigs and i've never had any pain caused by friction. You might want to look at your technique at like 20bpm to see if everything is ok.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendecahedron View Post

Vinnie Paul I think he use Nike Gloves ( at least he used to )

I Got meinl gloves, and i really dont like it... I feel like the gloves were choking my hand to dead ( and yes the gloves are for ""my size"" )

Haven't tried Ahead ones, but let me know how does it feel for you..

Victor

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 PM

the review of the Ahead gloves in the recent Drums & Percussion (German magazine) is quite favorable of these gloves.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDrums View Post
I agree and can't imagine why anyone would ever want to wear drum gloves. I always thought it was a stupid marketing gimmick to label batting gloves "drum gloves" and sell them to more people. I can't picture them helping anything.
They help reduce/eliminate blisters and reduce vibration/shock when playing electronic drums/rubber pads. I really don't like wearing them either, but I dislike blisters even more.

Last edited by paradiddle; 09-07-2009 at 02:44 PM.