DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM

Default About e-cymbals

I play a Roland TD9kx which I think is a great mid-range set.
I am looking for a better cymbal set up - I don't like the feel of hitting the plastic cymbals - and asking if anyone has experience with real metal e-cymbals such as the Hart Dynamics, Smarttrigger or Alesis Surge cymbals, in particular the hi-hat.

For the money, the Alesis Surge package looks like good value.

What is the response like?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Re: About e-cymbals

The Alesis cymbals are just re-branded Smartriggers- the response is very accurate. I used to use them till I switched back to 'real' cymbals.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM

I tried using the Hart Dynamics and hated them. They're a really hard plastic material so they feel wierd and make a louder sound then the rubber Roland cymbals (which I switched back to after trying the Hart ones).
From my experience with the e-cymbals, in general they just can't even come close to reproducing the feel or sound of real cymbals.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 AM

I used to play a full set of SmarTriggers (hats, 3-zone ride, multiple 2-zone crashes, smaller auxiliary crash) -- and I have to say I cannot recommend them. While the stick feel is superior IMO to plastic/rubber cymbals, I found the sweet spots to be too small and the cymbals to be lacking durability. (*Every single one* had the plastic underside dampening material peel off -- and I even sent back multiple cymbals to be repaired). I *much* prefer the reliability and consistency of the Roland cymbals (I've switched my entire set over to them).
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Have you tried the new Yamaha e-cymbals? The ones that came with my DTX 3 feel great. That's one of the main reasons I decided on the DTX 3 and not a Roland. I just couldn't get over how rigid the cymbals were.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

I have played the lower end Roland Cymbals and well as The high End Roland's. There is no comparison. The high end ones are great. I also had the Harts for a while. I liked the metal ride but the plastic crashed feel like hitting Frisbees.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site