DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Remo Falam Slam Bass Drum Pad for 18" with custom cut size

Well i've know for a while now i've been wanting to go back to a wood beater for use with my 16"x18" Peace virgin 9 ply bubinga bass drum since I love the sound this combo delivers. Problem has been breaking heads I discovered. I play flat foot most of the time but can play quite hard even in a acoustic jazz setting when the music needs it. Problem is the sound I love with a wood beater is not very "friendy" to coated ambassador 18" heads. Popped a head right before a important recording session a few months back which was no fun and heads cost a bundle these days.

Solution: Ran it by my friends Shane and Tim at my nearby L+M. Both came up with the idea of using the Remo Falam pad with the wood beater for my 18". Shane took it a step further and said cut it only to the actual impact size you need since in his opinion the complete pad changes the feel and tone to his ear noticably. His comment was it won't change the sound or feel by making a smaller pad for the actual impact spot of the hard beater. I cut an 1/1/4" square and lined it right up where the wood beater impacted the head only. Tip: use one very sharp pair of scissors if you decide to try this. This stuff is hard to cut clean without trails of material left behind at the edge cuts.

Conclusion: Shane was bang on the money. The end result sounds fantastic and are right on the money. Very solid sharp attack of note bringing out the max in warmth and tone that the wood beater delivers on this bubinga 18" bass drum and the head will last FAR longer than before. Back into the studio over the next few days with complete confidence now without being concerned about breaking the head in the middle of a take and I have the sound I love. Thanks for the tip guys and thought to pass it along to others wanting to save breaking heads with hard wood beaters but don't want to change their sound in the process. This certainly did the trick.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Remo Falam Slam Bass Drum Pad for 18" with custom cut size

Had an idea for the second Falam black pad that came with the pair in the package. For the 14"x16" custom made bass drum I play i've always used a early 60's vintage clip on {to a wooden bass drum hoop} Ludwig felt dampener on the batter side just having it touching the head to control a wee bit of ring. Not needed any more. Put the full size black Falam pad centered up where the target spot is and for this small wide open 16" bass drum it takes just the right amount of ring away on the head leaving a nice very sharp attack of note with a nice warm but more subtle ring. Good experiment with great results for using the 2nd black pad.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for sharing that Stan. I've most recently been using an Aquarian Super Thin impact pad on my 16" x 18" Yamaha MCAN (using hard rubber beaters) and I've been happy with its minimal affect on sound and feel. In the past, I've done something similar to what you did but with a piece of mylar that I cut and adhered to the head.

hope you are well,

spleen
Old 07-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Thanks for sharing that Stan. I've most recently been using an Aquarian Super Thin impact pad on my 16" x 18" Yamaha MCAN (using hard rubber beaters) and I've been happy with its minimal affect on sound and feel. In the past, I've done something similar to what you did but with a piece of mylar that I cut and adhered to the head.

hope you are well,

spleen

Doing good my friend and thanks.

It was a toss up with the Aquarian pad Spleen but I went with the Remo Falam based on what the guys recommended. I'm sure either would have been just fine. The cut down small square for the beater contact spot seems to do the trick with the thicker Remo pad for my 18".

I used the 16" bass drum for an outdoor show today and it sounded really great. Very sharp and solid attack of note with a short but full sounding pleasing ring. I think the full size thicker Falam pad at the beater contact zone on the head may have more of a dampening effect than the thinner Aquarian one and in this case seems to have turned out to be a good combo for the desired sound for this wide open drum cutting down the perfect amount of ring but giving a good sense of clarity and attack of note.

Still will probably experiment with the thinner full size Aquarian pad down the road too on the 18". Liking the effect of the custom cut one at the moment though Spleen but still interested in hearing the sound of the thinner full size pad to compare since the wood beater is here to stay with that drum.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan