DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Default Catalina Club Mod kits

What is all the fuzz with these kits? they look really nice, and even better with the price. But, what do they sound like? every time I go to the local GC they are sold out on them.

Are they worth buying? I am currently playing on a YamaHa stage custom. with the evans G2 heads. And Aq. POwestroke II (i think) on the bass drum. I got my kit sounding really warm and funky. Also, my snare adds some nice flare, its an Orange County vented snare.

I'll try and post pictures soon guys. but tell me about the Gretsch club mod kits plz!!!!

I can haz a gretsch?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Catalina Club Mod kits

i bought one about 5 months ago. and i do love. the only problem is, it's extremely hard to get the toms in tune. it may just be the fact that i put the stock heads (evans g1coated) to the resonats, and put a smooth white emporer on the 12x8 and a clear emporer on the 16x14. i recomend either evans g2coated, aquarian studio x's, or remo powerstroke 3's. maybe even 4's.

the bass drum is massive! the stock gretsch head lasted me about 3 weeks before i put on a powerstroke 3. i'll be getting rid of that soon for an emad2 clear, with the remad on the front. i'm using 2 evans eq pillows for both heads to get a nice equal sound.

the snare flat out suck. i put an evans hd dry head on it and it's to "tomish" when tuned down low which it should be (14x6.5") and when tuned high it just doesn't sound great at all. it may just be the head, or even just me.

all around an average kit. they're afordable and worth the price. but i do miss my tama superstar. if this helped and turned you away from the gretsch (sorry if it did) then i'd recomend either a tama superstar, mapex pro m, or m birch. all three are great kits as well.

best of luck with the buy, alex
Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

wrong thread...lol...goes in the Drum Gear Section.

but anyway, i think your Stage Customs will be about the same. cause they are a mix of birch,mahagony(which is what the Mod kits are), and something else...

if you really need upgrading...i would check out Mapex...

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 07-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTi Drums View Post
What is all the fuzz with these kits? they look really nice, and even better with the price. But, what do they sound like? every time I go to the local GC they are sold out on them.

Are they worth buying? I am currently playing on a YamaHa stage custom. with the evans G2 heads. And Aq. POwestroke II (i think) on the bass drum. I got my kit sounding really warm and funky. Also, my snare adds some nice flare, its an Orange County vented snare.

I'll try and post pictures soon guys. but tell me about the Gretsch club mod kits plz!!!!

I can haz a gretsch?
Sounds like you are already very satisfied with your own drums, I don't see any reason to upgrade to anything if I were you.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

Is your name GTi as in volswagen GTi?

I dont thing you should go to that club mod kit. It wouldnt be worth the trouble if you do like your set. those club mods arent really an upgrade from your yamahas... in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmills View Post
Is your name GTi as in volswagen GTi?

I dont thing you should go to that club mod kit. It wouldnt be worth the trouble if you do like your set. those club mods arent really an upgrade from your yamahas... in my opinion.
Yes, I think the only thing that i love more than drums is V-dubs. I have an '06 GTi, and had an 04 Jetta GLi. Before that, I drove a MKIII (1997) Jetta VR6.

i realized later that I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry about that, i did write it at like 3 am. sorry about that!

also, the reason why i was turned on by this kit so much was because of the price mostly. It looks like a decent kit. I am very happy with my kit, and have gotten it to sound amazing. Every where I take people complement me on the sound. It has seen hundreds of shows and 4 studio sessions. My stage custom in my pinion is a very great recording kit. When i learned how to tune drums about 6 years ago, I toyed with different heads, and different tuning ranges.

My only complaint about it is the bass drum, although it sounds great, i want a smaller in Diameter bass drum, also it seems as if the spurs are giving outthrowing my pedal and drum out of place everytime i play.

I might be going on a 2 week mini tour to Chicago and back, from Dallas, in october, so i cant have ANY problems. I would love a used 3 piece DW kit, but haven't had a any luck finding one. I am trying to uprade, I want a professional sounding kit, so I do not think that I will be getting the Gretsch kit, so thank you for saving me a lot of time in trying to find this kit.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTi Drums View Post
Yes, I think the only thing that i love more than drums is V-dubs. I have an '06 GTi, and had an 04 Jetta GLi. Before that, I drove a MKIII (1997) Jetta VR6.
I have a lowered 2000 GTi
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmills View Post
I have a lowered 2000 GTi
very nice! are you on vwvortex? if you are, i am xxglixx on there.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

yeah my name on there is tbmills1 but ive never posted on there.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:29 AM

Why Talk Cars And talk about drums if you wanna talk about cars goto a car website not a drum web site
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 PM

One of my friends just bought this kit. It's probably the best kit you can get for the money. Although, I'm a fan of the style, it really isn't THAT great of a kit. However, I don't think you can beat it for its price. Like someone mentioned, it's very hard to get the toms in tune. I did however, manage to get a good sound out of the bass drum. I highly recommend replacing the stock heads...especially on the snare! The snare side head was very thick, causing an uncontrolable ring. (I would just ditch the snare)...Anyways, other than that, if you buy some decent heads, and tune them just right, you can't beat them for the price.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by track400m View Post
Why Talk Cars And talk about drums if you wanna talk about cars goto a car website not a drum web site
his thread...he can talk about cars if he wants =P

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY