DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-30-2008, 05:55 AM

Default Double pedal playing (kick) ?

My question is geared to those that play double bass (pedal). I notice the slave pedal is always different then the master. What kind of tuning, muffling do you guys recommend for the best action out of the pedal? I've noticed on certain kits playing the double bass pedal is far easier on some kicks, then others (using the same pedal). I'd like to optimize the response from the pedal allowing me to achieve the best result. Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Double pedal playing (kick) ?

This is a very good question and I would also like to know what experienced drummers think about it.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

I tend to find it easier to play with a more tightly tuned bass drum head, the rebound pushes the beater back faster making playing quicker. It is all personal prefrence, I have wood beaters with weights half way up the shaft and my springs are at full tension. Muffling won't help you, it will take away from rebound most likely slowing down your double bass strokes. Most people just foola round with it until they find something they really find comfortable for them.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM

bump for more input :)
Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 PM

This is kind of a random thought, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has considered it.

Most of us drive cars and use our right foot, primarily, to press the gas pedal and the brakes. It seems inevitable that this small amount of exercise, daily, over time, would tone the muscles in our right ankles, feet and calves more than the left side. Think of how slightly and carefully you can moderate the gas pedal and brakes without even thinking about it. I suspect that most of us, if the pedals in our vehicles were reversed one morning, would have a very hard time with our left feet.

I wonder if this is one reason that people usually have a harder time with their left foot than their right when they first start learning double bass.

The other part, I'm sure, has to do with the energy that is lost to the shaft mechanism of the slave pedal.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post
The other part, I'm sure, has to do with the energy that is lost to the shaft mechanism of the slave pedal.
Yes, take into consideration the resting inertia of the connection rod and any resistance you might get from the two elbow joints. Doesn't matter who makes the Pedals, or how you lube them, you will always have those two factors.

The real challenge is finding out how you can adjust the left side to compensate for these two points of resistance so that it feels the same as the right side.

Those are my two main reasons why I think this pedal idea is so ingenious...
Twin Pedals

I'm very curious how this would feel when you are sitting in a groove and using one foot, and I'm anxious to try it out, but can't find someone around here that has one.

This might not be the ultimate solution but it is farther along toward a better solution than most pedals have been in the past.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post
Yes, take into consideration the resting inertia of the connection rod and any resistance you might get from the two elbow joints. Doesn't matter who makes the Pedals, or how you lube them, you will always have those two factors.

The real challenge is finding out how you can adjust the left side to compensate for these two points of resistance so that it feels the same as the right side.

Those are my two main reasons why I think this pedal idea is so ingenious...
Twin Pedals

I'm very curious how this would feel when you are sitting in a groove and using one foot, and I'm anxious to try it out, but can't find someone around here that has one.

This might not be the ultimate solution but it is farther along toward a better solution than most pedals have been in the past.
I think those are rip offs, here is why: You lose any advantage your right foot may have had. People have been getting semetrical play out of conventional double pedals for years now, the weight of the shaft may be an issue but not a huge one and anyway, since your right and left foot don't have the same properties (differen't amounts of use and coordination) it is rediculous that a perfectly semetrical pedal system would change much; your best root is to just practice.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 AM

That Sleishman unit looks like a great idea, to me, from the standpoint of positioning and kit set up alone. The symmetrical physics certainly could not hurt, even if it won't turn anyone into a master overnight. Looks sturdy, too.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM

"your best root is to just practice."

This is very true, my post: #6 was along the lines of the facts of the physics behind the problem.

With that said, people have been playing on Dbl Pedals for many years and we have all heard the "greats" they overcome these little "physics inhibitors" and there is no reason why anyone else can't do it.

So Pasquini is ultimately right, importance of equipment pales in comparison to the importance of practice.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 PM

well im playing double pedal a year almost and from my experience if you practice constantly you will eventually get used to the difference so that it wont matter to you anyway or your playing. the only few things that i did to help me is to tighten up a bit the slave pedal tension and also to have it in a more parallel position to the master, doing that reduces the stiffness and the latency it has compared to the master pedal. hope this helped you