DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Default evans genera DRY

I find my acrolite a tad too ringy with a coated ambassador and dont like using the internal muffling.

I decided to try a coated genera dry.

No kidding dry!! Im in shock. If you want the 70s dry snare sound, This is it.

Although, I have a feeling it may record nicely.

I need to find a head in between an ambassador coated and the genera dry.

Any suggestions?

Im thinking the regular genera coated or the ludwig coated snare head both of which have the dampen rings.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: evans genera DRY

Try a reverse dot. also genera
Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Before I go forward I should say that I like a somewhat ringy drum and usually will adjust per room/studio with tuning and pieces of Moon Gel to get the sound I want. You may want to try that approach as killing all the ring also loses good stuff like highs and timbre as well.

I've used on my snares:
Evans ST Dry, G2 coated, Genera coated and PC Reverse Dot (Coated). The ST Dry was way too dry for me. The Genera came on a Mapex Phosphor Bronze drum I bought and sounded good. But I liked the drum better with a PC Reverse dot.

The PC Reverse Dot is my favorite of the Evans heads for snare although I do like the G2 coated as well on some wood drums. I'm not a real heavy hitter so the dot on the PCRD is more for just a bit of focus. I have this head on my Yamaha Paul Leim brass snare and it works well.

I would also suggest an Aquarian Studio-X coated head for the Acro. If I owned one (which I think I will some day), I'd put either a traditional Aquarian Satin Texture Coated or a coated Studio-X head on it. These heads are pretty much the same except for the thin underside ring on the Studio-X. The coating on Aquarian Satin Texture Coated head is slightly thicker than Remo. Therefore it's just a bit warmer than an Ambassador or even an Evans G1. If you use brushes, the Aquarians coating lasts forever. Also if there is any problem with the head (rare) you can call them and they have great customer service. I know this from experience. I've talked directly to Roy Burns twice and he was the coolest.
If you get these heads you can surgically adjust dampening with gel or tape and have a great sound (IMHO)

Good luck with it

Jim
Old 06-26-2008, 10:43 PM

I love a really dry fat sound, i use evans HD Dry heads =)
Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

The Genera and Genera Dry are 2 of my favorites. But recently, thanks to a gift from Roy Burns, I'm trying a Textured Coated head on my snare. That head is AMAZING. I love the way it sounds. My snare has never sounded better.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Drums View Post
The Genera and Genera Dry are 2 of my favorites. But recently, thanks to a gift from Roy Burns, I'm trying a Textured Coated head on my snare. That head is AMAZING. I love the way it sounds. My snare has never sounded better.
Is that the Aquarian, the Texture Coated?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 PM

I've used the Genera Dry on lots of different snares--brass, wood, even acrylic--and have always gotten a good sound out of them.

Sonor S-Classix
Paiste Signature Dark Energy
Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 PM

It's very good for that rock sound, it's a slap in the face. But I find it to be lacking a little in sensitivity compared to the Ambassador I always used.
from your
tv set

Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Pioneer Member

I liked the Genera Dry when I got back into drumming three years ago. It seemed to give the snare a nice studio type sound. The rim shots ring out nice, but just playing on the head didn't give me the crispness I was looking for.

I recently dug out my 5 X 14 DW solid and played it for a couple of weeks. It had the Genera dry head on it.

I switched heads and went with a Ambassador over a hazy Diplomat and liked that combination much better. The drum has some ring to it now and projects really well.

The more I play the more I want the drums to resonate. That said, some snares need to be tamed down a bit. The type and volume of music you're playing will have a major bearing on head selection.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Do you guys tune the Genera Dry fairly tight? Really tight? or loose? Would a loose tuning give it a fat sound?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
Do you guys tune the Genera Dry fairly tight? Really tight? or loose? Would a loose tuning give it a fat sound?
To put the term "Tight" into perspective. On a drum dial 100 would be real tight. More of a dee sound as opposed to a doo sound. I run snare batters around 90 on the drum dial. Resos around 80.

The Evans dry heads can sound a little flappy below 80. The tension of the reso head will have a bearing on this as well. Some guys run the reso head real tight and that might allow for a lower batter head tension.

The Genera dry heads fill a niche, but I find single ply heads like the Ambassador, Reverse Power Dot, and G1s to be more sensitive.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I
I switched heads and went with a Ambassador over a hazy Diplomat and liked that combination much better. The drum has some ring to it now and projects really well.

I think theHazy Dip Reso really cuts down on the ringing..good combo for a Ludwig snare!