DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Default Bass Drum Pedal is all clicky?

So, my Bass Drum pedal, which came with my drumset (PDP 805), is messed up, I think.

When I use the pedal, the chains on it rattle, causing a really bad sound.

So how do I fix it? Get a real pedal?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Bass Drum Pedal is all clicky?

Try taking a length of leather shoelace and threading it through the links in an "S" shape. Start at the beater end and leave enough so it won't come out while you are playing. You may have to try skipping one or two links until you find the right combo for the stiffness of the leather and the width of the chain. If it's the chain contacting the metal cam that is the problem, an old snare strap or a strip cut from an old head will work as a cushion. Use double sided carpet tape to attach it to the cam, just make sure the cam is clean and oil free first. I use that tape for lots of uses and I keep a roll in my gig bag. If your bass drum pad gets loose at a gig it works great, and a piece on a mic stand works great to hold pics for guitar players.

I hate noisy hardware. Studio mics pick up EVERYTHING, so we sometimes have to resort to odd means to solve problems. Creaky thrones bug me, as do rubber washers on cymbal stands because they make a sound that mics pick up even though you might not hear it when you play. Another problem is the end of the cymbal stand that goes into the base. Sometimes the smaller tube will rub inside the base when you hit the cymbal and produce a slight ringing sound. Put one wrap of Scotch tape (it's thin) around the end and that problem will go away.

*M*
Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Bass Drum Pedal is all clicky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo Leone View Post
Try taking a length of leather shoelace and threading it through the links in an "S" shape. Start at the beater end and leave enough so it won't come out while you are playing. You may have to try skipping one or two links until you find the right combo for the stiffness of the leather and the width of the chain. If it's the chain contacting the metal cam that is the problem, an old snare strap or a strip cut from an old head will work as a cushion. Use double sided carpet tape to attach it to the cam, just make sure the cam is clean and oil free first. I use that tape for lots of uses and I keep a roll in my gig bag. If your bass drum pad gets loose at a gig it works great, and a piece on a mic stand works great to hold pics for guitar players.

I hate noisy hardware. Studio mics pick up EVERYTHING, so we sometimes have to resort to odd means to solve problems. Creaky thrones bug me, as do rubber washers on cymbal stands because they make a sound that mics pick up even though you might not hear it when you play. Another problem is the end of the cymbal stand that goes into the base. Sometimes the smaller tube will rub inside the base when you hit the cymbal and produce a slight ringing sound. Put one wrap of Scotch tape (it's thin) around the end and that problem will go away.

*M*
You know, I have to say, I kind of lost you in the middle of the first paragraph, but I get what you mean. That's a really great idea, I never thought of using something else not made for drumming!

And yeah, right now I'm not micing my drums, but maybe eventually.