DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default The type of sellers to avoid on eBay - in regards to buying drum gear...

People who describe the drums as "wooden" or "metal", in the details. For example; "Really nice wooden Ludwig snare drum...with sparkley blue finish".

Anyone who spells "bass" drum as "base" drum.

Anyone who is selling "symbols".

The casual guy who says something like; "They look like they're in pretty good shape but I'm not sure, I'm selling them for a friend..."

Folks who list drums or cymbals as "NEW!" when you can clearly see the heads of the drums are played in, stick marks all over cymbals, excessive fingerprints & dirty surfaces, etc.

Anyone who has clearly measured the drums with the hoops on, i.e. "sizes are 17.5"x18, 13.5"x11.5, and 23.5x16".

...this was spontaneous after window-shopping on eBay, I'm sure I'll think of more later - add 'em if ya got 'em!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The type of sellers to avoid on eBay - in regards to buying drum gear...

I don't know if this is supposed to be a joke thread or not. As I do a lot of buying off eBay, I could really care less what the seller knows, or doesn't know. All I want is the drum. Or symbol. As long as the picture is clear and the price is right. Red flags I watch out for are sellers with low feedback numbers and/or high negative feedback count. And auctions with no pictures at all. Pass on both counts.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 PM

Default Re: The type of sellers to avoid on eBay - in regards to buying drum gear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I don't know if this is supposed to be a joke thread or not. As I do a lot of buying off eBay, I could really care less what the seller knows, or doesn't know. All I want is the drum. Or symbol. As long as the picture is clear and the price is right. Red flags I watch out for are sellers with low feedback numbers and/or high negative feedback count. And auctions with no pictures at all. Pass on both counts.
I agree. Sometimes, people are just bad spellers, and generally if their feedback is good and the pics are ok then its usually a good sign.

My Band
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Pioneer Member

I skip past any auction that just uses a stock photo of a kit instead of a picture of the actual kit. If its too much trouble or too hard for them to figure out how to do that, then I have very little faith in their boxing and shipping skills.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't be adverse to clicking on a BIN of an auction like this...

My father recently moved out and left behind this kit. It has round metals on the outside that say "greetch". Sizes are 19.5" base druum, 13.5" tome drum, 15.5 standing drum, 15.5" by 5.5" short drum (it makes a terrible buzzing sound when you play it). Comes with a bunch of dirty old symbols that say "K Constantinopole". It's all in good condition, but kinda dusty. I don't know much about droms, so I'll set the BIN at $100. Is that too much? I'll throw in shipping for free. Happy bidding and thanks for looking!

...yeah, that'll be the day my finger breaks the speed of sound to click the mouse

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Nice... Those auctions probably only last about 10 seconds though LOL!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

I tend to stay away from any sellars that:

1. Do not respond to questions.
2. Use only stock photos
3. Those that "do not own a camera" and cannot provide extra photos.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
I skip past any auction that just uses a stock photo of a kit instead of a picture of the actual kit. If its too much trouble or too hard for them to figure out how to do that, then I have very little faith in their boxing and shipping skills.
Actually it's because the set isn't used and it's still in the box. So really I'd actually have faith in their boxing and shipping skills.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It was at least partially tongue-in-cheek...but I'm somewhat serious too. Those are some general rules I've started following as you could end up blowing a lot of coin on something that definitely was NOT as-advertised. In this case, it's very hard to reconcile it, especially if the seller becomes difficult and won't refund your money.

Case and point: I bought some "3 ply early-70's Ludwig Drums - MINT!" - a 5pc. kit that was flawless...and by all appearances had a natural maple wood finish that was perfect. Well, I got the kit, it was wrapped, and it was a late-70's 6-ply kit...and it wasn't in as good of shape as I was lead to believe. I politely contacted the seller and asked for a refund - because it wasn't at all what was advertised. He got really rude and even used profanity - and told me he sold it for a friend and that's what his friend said it was...and he doesn't know anything about drums. But, he claimed that they're "good drums and the value is the same, regardless..".

Yeah....right.

I contacted eBay, filed my PayPal complaint and tried to force a refund. eBay waited 30 days and ruled in his favor - agreeing that the value was the same.

No joke.

The moral of the story is; buy from people who know their stuff, are competent enough to spell the item correctly, and communicate well. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! The other moral is; eBay doesn't care about you - they care about their commission and it's all the same to them, as long as they get their cut.

On the flip side, there are occasions when you can nab something good for the right price from someone who doesn't know entirely what they have. This is sometimes a risk worth taking.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 AM

The most annoying thing on eBay are sellers who sell a "black drumset" or "pro drumset with cymbals" when it obviously is some junk!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
People who describe the drums as "wooden" or "metal", in the details. For example; "Really nice wooden Ludwig snare drum...with sparkley blue finish".

Anyone who spells "bass" drum as "base" drum.

Anyone who is selling "symbols".

The casual guy who says something like; "They look like they're in pretty good shape but I'm not sure, I'm selling them for a friend..."

Folks who list drums or cymbals as "NEW!" when you can clearly see the heads of the drums are played in, stick marks all over cymbals, excessive fingerprints & dirty surfaces, etc.

Anyone who has clearly measured the drums with the hoops on, i.e. "sizes are 17.5"x18, 13.5"x11.5, and 23.5x16".

...this was spontaneous after window-shopping on eBay, I'm sure I'll think of more later - add 'em if ya got 'em!
HAHA! Hilarious observations. I instinctively avoid buying from people like this but I'd never thought about the words and spellings.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It was at least partially tongue-in-cheek...but I'm somewhat serious too. Those are some general rules I've started following as you could end up blowing a lot of coin on something that definitely was NOT as-advertised.....

On the flip side, there are occasions when you can nab something good for the right price from someone who doesn't know entirely what they have. This is sometimes a risk worth taking.
Sounds like you had a very bad experience there. Personally, I don't have the really big coin, so I don't drop the really big coin, unless I know exactly what I'm getting. The difference between a 3 ply shell and a 6 ply shell can and should be seen in a photo. I'm not going to splash $1500 for a $700 kit. The "and communicate well" is the key to your story. If I contact a seller and he can't/won't clarify an issue, deal off. I can, have, and will, walk noob sellers thru basic schooling as to the item they have on auction. Most are glad for the extra info. Some actually post additional info. as they get it. You obviously, as "old schoolers" would say, learned "the hard way". Some of the best lessons in life can only be learned that way. Yeah, I've taken a few "hits on the chin", so to speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
I tend to stay away from any sellars that:

1. Do not respond to questions.

3. ... and cannot provide extra photos.
And the inverse is true also. I stay away from buyers who ask too many stupid questions and want me to jump thru too many hoops for them. There's a breed of buyer out there that you just get a "vibe" from. And if I feel a cat is not gonna be happy with something I have for sale, I simply tell them "not to bid". As a seller, you can see how many people are "watching" an auction. When I have 4 or 5 serious "potential" buyers, I have no time to waste on a "chucklehead". I even have the sentence "sorry, we won't be able to do business" pasted on my computer tower.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

I prefer someone that does not know what they have. it is harder to find then ever these days ;-(
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 06-24-2008, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And the inverse is true also. I stay away from buyers who ask too many stupid questions and want me to jump thru too many hoops for them. There's a breed of buyer out there that you just get a "vibe" from..
OH yes, you're absolutely right - and there are more of them than there are "bad sellers" - which is exactly why the new feedback modifications are crap.

The last drum kit I sold I had listed as a BIN w/ Best Offer and one guy was about to pull the trigger and pay full price....except...he sent me a very long list of demands. He obviously thought he was doing me a huge favor. He wanted the drums packed a very specific way, in separate boxes, shipped a very specific way. His final demand was that I buy all new pinstripes and outfit the whole kit for him to "sweeten the deal". I was actually scared of having a customer like this, so I disallowed him to bid or buy. The gentleman who did end up buying the kit didn't ask a single question - he pulled the trigger, got the kit in 4 days, and left glowing feedback. This is how it's done, folks!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It was at least partially tongue-in-cheek...but I'm somewhat serious too. Those are some general rules I've started following as you could end up blowing a lot of coin on something that definitely was NOT as-advertised. In this case, it's very hard to reconcile it, especially if the seller becomes difficult and won't refund your money.

Case and point: I bought some "3 ply early-70's Ludwig Drums - MINT!" - a 5pc. kit that was flawless...and by all appearances had a natural maple wood finish that was perfect. Well, I got the kit, it was wrapped, and it was a late-70's 6-ply kit...and it wasn't in as good of shape as I was lead to believe. I politely contacted the seller and asked for a refund - because it wasn't at all what was advertised. He got really rude and even used profanity - and told me he sold it for a friend and that's what his friend said it was...and he doesn't know anything about drums. But, he claimed that they're "good drums and the value is the same, regardless..".

Yeah....right.

I contacted eBay, filed my PayPal complaint and tried to force a refund. eBay waited 30 days and ruled in his favor - agreeing that the value was the same.

No joke.

The moral of the story is; buy from people who know their stuff, are competent enough to spell the item correctly, and communicate well. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! The other moral is; eBay doesn't care about you - they care about their commission and it's all the same to them, as long as they get their cut.

What a story. I think I bid on that set. :)

I agree that guys who don't know the wood of the drum are a big red flag, unless as Harry said, I know better. But sometimes you don't know and can't tell the wood from the picture, and there's a big difference between a maple, bubinga, birch or a basswood snare. :)

If they don't know what they're selling, it's a big red flag because they can always say, well I told you I didn't know what it was.

Another one I like is "vintage drum with original head!"

Many of my friends have steered from using ebay because of the large amount of fraud, and problems as you suggested. It doesn't matter the value of the set if you bid on something that was described as one thing and it was something else. That is why I always pay by credit card, and now you have given me more reason to do so. They've gotten better than the mess they were in last year or so. It is more like it used to be.

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 06-24-2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

And the inverse is true also. I stay away from buyers who ask too many stupid questions and want me to jump thru too many hoops for them. There's a breed of buyer out there that you just get a "vibe" from. And if I feel a cat is not gonna be happy with something I have for sale, I simply tell them "not to bid". As a seller, you can see how many people are "watching" an auction. When I have 4 or 5 serious "potential" buyers, I have no time to waste on a "chucklehead". I even have the sentence "sorry, we won't be able to do business" pasted on my computer tower.
Yep, very true. Definately a two way street there.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I prefer someone that does not know what they have.
My preference as well. I have bought, and sold, a ton of stuff on eBay and as a buyer I feel far more comfortable buying drum related items from someone who couldn't make up a convincing "story" about a particular drum or other drum related item than those that can. I've been burned far more by sellers who have knowledge of the topic at hand than I have by those that are too ignorant to make up a story about whatever it is they are selling. Also, there are very few sellers out there that truly know what they are selling and then there are those that do but make things up, which only adds to the confusion, in general, when it comes to Vintage Drums.

I called one seller, who owns a Vintage Drum Shop and claims to be an expert, on the fact that the 1960's NOS Original Ludwig Snare Wires that he had listed couldn't have been older than the early 80's since they had the slots for the plastic straps on the ends. His response was that Ludwig did a lot of "goofy stuff" back in the day and couldn't this be one of them? I responded by saying that if by "goofy stuff" he meant predicting the future need of something by over 10 years then I guess he was right. His response wasn't fit to print and he was still stickin' to his story, not to mention his auction where he sold some poor sucker those new Snare Wires for twice the price they could have picked them up if they would have only known what they were looking at.........

LVDC
Old 06-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Nothing like a sucker who doesn't know what he has. :)

I've missed out a quite a number of great opportunities for my ignorance. I'm slowly knowing better. Browsing ebay has taught me a lot about drums over the last few years. I've learned more than I could have in a decade at a music store just because you get to see so many different types of drums and accessories, and what they sell for
Old 06-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

any action ending at 11:00 pm on a week night is an opportunity for a great deal ;-)
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

Avoid any reputable sellers!

That way, you don't get in trouble with the wife for buying gear you don't need.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Avoid any reputable sellers!

That way, you don't get in trouble with the wife for buying gear you don't need.
Good point, Mikey, good point...

I'll add another one...

The other day a nice fellow was selling a vintage snare drum with "all membranes intact".
Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

The other day a nice fellow was selling a vintage snare drum with "all membranes intact".
that is too much!!! hahaha
Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good point, Mikey, good point...

I'll add another one...

Maybe he was trying to make a point. I'm 43 and all my membranes are intact. If you reach Gruntersdad's age and all your membranes are intact, that's something to brag about!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Maybe he was trying to make a point. I'm 43 and all my membranes are intact. If you reach Gruntersdad's age and all your membranes are intact, that's something to brag about!
Ha! I believe all of mine are intact as well, I've just misplaced them somewhere.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ha! I believe all of mine are intact as well, I've just misplaced them somewhere.
I'm sure many of us can relate!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a double-threat guy, just check out his setup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-7-piece-b...QQcmdZViewItem

Add to that, his description says; "Recently appraised by a professional drummer at around $4,000 - this is a steal at this price."

Wow, I guess that makes it true! By the way, friend - how's the weather up over those toms?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

[quote=zambizzi;453300]Here's a double-threat guy, just check out his setup:

Add to that, his description says; "Recently appraised by a professional drummer at around $4,000 - this is a steal at this price."

Wow, thats great. vertical,overhead toms? I m bidding now cause $1000 for that $4000 set is indeed a "steal". and paint thinner on cymbals sounds like a great idea, really brings out that shine. Nice find !lol
Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here's a double-threat guy, just check out his setup:

Wow, I guess that makes it true! By the way, friend - how's the weather up over those toms?
Freaky setup. I guess if you were really really shy and never wanted anyone in the audience to see you, that would be a good setup.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM

Yuuuk !! Freaky setup indeed. Mercy!! How could he play this set up?!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

I'd like to add another:

Sellers who put the drums out on a bare sidewalk, lawn, a patch of dirt, or anywhere else that seems unacceptable for a drum kit to be placed - even if it's just for taking the photos for the listing.

I know, I know...that's nit-picking but I *am* picky. I want to know that what I'm getting won't be all scraped up from being moved around on the pavement or some other sort of damage. It strikes me as careless and lazy.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
complaint and tried to force a refund. eBay waited 30 days and ruled in his favor - agreeing that the value was the same.
that doesn't surprise me really. ebay is always in favor of making money, not customer support.

same value? they must be kidding or better: they simply have no clue about drums.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

It's a good idea to avoid buying gutiars with bent necks.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 08-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

http://boise.craigslist.org/msg/818599135.html

Just *awesome*....
Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Man, at times like these, I wish I lived in Idaho...
Old 08-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well since he cant spell "cymbal", maybe he d be better off just calling it a "gong". Idk...I d have trouble fitting a monster of that size on my kit, and I think I d have trouble reaching the bell too. : P
Nice! lol
Old 08-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would soooooooo buy that. If nothing else, just to hang it on the wall.

...that is, if I could find a mighty nail strong enough to behold such a weighty beast of finely crafted bronze! Bwa ha ha ha!!!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Didnt know Paiste made 28" cymbals.

oh wait im sorry, i didnt know Paste made 28" symbols.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 AM

I like those people who don't know anything about drums.
Last month I scored a 60s Ludwig Speed King, and a 60s Ludwig Shell mounted cymbal arm/mount for 50 bucks. He thought the arm and mount was apart of the pedal. Also because the chrome is coming of and it's rusting a bit he thought the pedal was just some old cheap pedal. SOOOOOOOO I love them
Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Didnt know Paiste made 28" cymbals.

oh wait im sorry, i didnt know Paste made 28" symbols.
I came across a rather nice 26" 50's A Zildjian in a shop around here a few years ago. Yes. Companies make weird sizes.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Big_Philly

Every now and then you run into ads that say "for sale: drum kit. Still works fine. ". What do they mean, "it works fine"? It makes sound when you hit it?
I'm also not into ads that sell Paiste 101's as "absolutely wonderful cymbols lol". Or anything lol for that matter.