DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Cymbals natural balance

My favorite sweet spot on my cymbal is on the far side. I've tried turning but after being played for a little while the cymbal readjusts its self so the sweet spot is back on the far side. Anyway way to keep that sweet spot on the front side without tightening thecymbal so much it doesn't play?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

sounds like your cymbals sweet spot is on the thinner part of your cymbal, cymbals arnt even in thickness all the way round, there are some parts thicker or more dense than others and if your ride is tilted towards you, it will always roll to the heaviest side.
The only suggestion i have is to maybe flatten the cymbal angle out and gravity wont have as much effect.

x
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 AM

Thanks, ill give it a try.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

Yes every cymbal i've ever owned has always wanted to sit where it wants to sit due to uneven weight distribution and slightly off center drilled holes and such. Fortunately it's never been an issue with the sweet spot{s}.for me.

As suggested your best bet is to have the cymbal sit more flat to stay where you would like it. If you crash the ride alot though it will always find it's way back to where it naturally wants to sit on the stand if free to move which it should for good cymbal health.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 06-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Hehe I have Stagg Y ride and crash and boy, did these guys at Stagg ever heard of a CENTER HOLE? The hole is a bit of the center and the bell is not even. You put the cymbal flat on a stand and it's always tilted on one side. Geeez that makes me angry. Can't wait for Paistes. I belive that's the way with all cheap cymbals
Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Hehe I have Stagg Y ride and crash and boy, did these guys at Stagg ever heard of a CENTER HOLE? The hole is a bit of the center and the bell is not even. You put the cymbal flat on a stand and it's always tilted on one side. Geeez that makes me angry. Can't wait for Paistes. I belive that's the way with all cheap cymbals

I've got some bad news for you even the high end ones all do this too based on my many years of cymbal experience. No getting away from this natural state of affairs regarding cymbal physics either by slightly off center drilled holes or uneven weight distribution on the cymbal during the hammering/shaping process. The cymbal is always going to sit where IT wants to sit on the stand regardless of price.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
I've got some bad news for you even the high end ones all do this too based on my many years of cymbal experience. No getting away from this natural state of affairs regarding cymbal physics either by slightly off center drilled holes or uneven weight distribution on the cymbal during the hammering/shaping process. The cymbal is always going to sit where IT wants to sit on the stand regardless of price.
Well, I have had some cymbals that were pretty uniform. Notice I said "had"? Yeah, it's the inconsistencies and the unevenness of cymbals that give them their complex voices and many choices of colors when you strike different parts of them. I like cymbals with options.

If a cymbal typically wants to rotate into a certain position, I just position it lower and flatter. No big whoop.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-18-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_cb View Post
My favorite sweet spot on my cymbal is on the far side. I've tried turning but after being played for a little while the cymbal readjusts its self so the sweet spot is back on the far side. Anyway way to keep that sweet spot on the front side without tightening thecymbal so much it doesn't play?
If you "stretch the hole" to favor the opposite side of the sweet spot, I'm thinking that might do it. What I mean is drilling with a smaller bit than the hole (1/4" or 3/8") and kinda pushing and working it in the opposite direction of the sweet spot...or maybe even a dremmel... Kinda like keyholeing it on purpose but not that extreme of course. Just a little bit at a time.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:04 PM

This may not be the case with your cymbal but if you whack a cymbal enough on one side without rotating it, you can warp that cymbal.

I did that back when I was a teenager, and warped a 16" Medium Zildjian A to the point that it would always rotate back to one side. Of course, I played a lot of loud rock bashing the edge of the cymbal before I knew what good technique was.

So my advice would also be to rotate your cymbals to where you don't alway crash the same spot. The thinner they are, the more you rotate them.

The weight distribution thing would show up right off the bat after you got your cymbal.