DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 PM
shaolin_cb shaolin_cb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 43
Default Cymbals natural balance

My favorite sweet spot on my cymbal is on the far side. I've tried turning but after being played for a little while the cymbal readjusts its self so the sweet spot is back on the far side. Anyway way to keep that sweet spot on the front side without tightening thecymbal so much it doesn't play?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Rockingfreakapotamus's Avatar
Rockingfreakapotamus Rockingfreakapotamus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 129
Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

sounds like your cymbals sweet spot is on the thinner part of your cymbal, cymbals arnt even in thickness all the way round, there are some parts thicker or more dense than others and if your ride is tilted towards you, it will always roll to the heaviest side.
The only suggestion i have is to maybe flatten the cymbal angle out and gravity wont have as much effect.

x
__________________
www.myspace.com/feeandtheurges
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 AM
shaolin_cb shaolin_cb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 43
Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

Thanks, ill give it a try.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

Yes every cymbal i've ever owned has always wanted to sit where it wants to sit due to uneven weight distribution and slightly off center drilled holes and such. Fortunately it's never been an issue with the sweet spot{s}.for me.

As suggested your best bet is to have the cymbal sit more flat to stay where you would like it. If you crash the ride alot though it will always find it's way back to where it naturally wants to sit on the stand if free to move which it should for good cymbal health.
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Dangerous Dave Dangerous Dave is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16
Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

Hehe I have Stagg Y ride and crash and boy, did these guys at Stagg ever heard of a CENTER HOLE? The hole is a bit of the center and the bell is not even. You put the cymbal flat on a stand and it's always tilted on one side. Geeez that makes me angry. Can't wait for Paistes. I belive that's the way with all cheap cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Hehe I have Stagg Y ride and crash and boy, did these guys at Stagg ever heard of a CENTER HOLE? The hole is a bit of the center and the bell is not even. You put the cymbal flat on a stand and it's always tilted on one side. Geeez that makes me angry. Can't wait for Paistes. I belive that's the way with all cheap cymbals

I've got some bad news for you even the high end ones all do this too based on my many years of cymbal experience. No getting away from this natural state of affairs regarding cymbal physics either by slightly off center drilled holes or uneven weight distribution on the cymbal during the hammering/shaping process. The cymbal is always going to sit where IT wants to sit on the stand regardless of price.
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,440
Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
I've got some bad news for you even the high end ones all do this too based on my many years of cymbal experience. No getting away from this natural state of affairs regarding cymbal physics either by slightly off center drilled holes or uneven weight distribution on the cymbal during the hammering/shaping process. The cymbal is always going to sit where IT wants to sit on the stand regardless of price.
Well, I have had some cymbals that were pretty uniform. Notice I said "had"? Yeah, it's the inconsistencies and the unevenness of cymbals that give them their complex voices and many choices of colors when you strike different parts of them. I like cymbals with options.

If a cymbal typically wants to rotate into a certain position, I just position it lower and flatter. No big whoop.
__________________
Larry's real name is Cheech.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2008, 11:16 PM
autonomos's Avatar
autonomos autonomos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 148
Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_cb View Post
My favorite sweet spot on my cymbal is on the far side. I've tried turning but after being played for a little while the cymbal readjusts its self so the sweet spot is back on the far side. Anyway way to keep that sweet spot on the front side without tightening thecymbal so much it doesn't play?
If you "stretch the hole" to favor the opposite side of the sweet spot, I'm thinking that might do it. What I mean is drilling with a smaller bit than the hole (1/4" or 3/8") and kinda pushing and working it in the opposite direction of the sweet spot...or maybe even a dremmel... Kinda like keyholeing it on purpose but not that extreme of course. Just a little bit at a time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2008, 10:04 PM
guidrummer's Avatar
guidrummer guidrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 192
Default Re: Cymbals natural balance

This may not be the case with your cymbal but if you whack a cymbal enough on one side without rotating it, you can warp that cymbal.

I did that back when I was a teenager, and warped a 16" Medium Zildjian A to the point that it would always rotate back to one side. Of course, I played a lot of loud rock bashing the edge of the cymbal before I knew what good technique was.

So my advice would also be to rotate your cymbals to where you don't alway crash the same spot. The thinner they are, the more you rotate them.

The weight distribution thing would show up right off the bat after you got your cymbal.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com