DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Default My L A Music on-line shopping experience!

Just wondering if anyone here has bought anything, drum hardware in particular, from L A Music, said to be Canada's largest on-line music store?

I would like to hear from you, good or bad experiences.

I ordered, and paid for at the time, some DW hardware on March 21st (this year) and haven't received anything to-date. I've been in touch - long story. I'm getting a little fed up because I was led to believe the items (four cymbal arms) were in stock at the time I placed the order.

If they would have told me it could be Three (3) months or more before I receive my order I would have made an informed decision at the time and maybe not purchased them. I just think the whole thing is very misleading.

I got in contact with a DW rep in the USA and he looked into it and said there was a problem but my stuff has been shipped from the USA but he didn't tell me what the "problem" was - that was a month or more ago.

I've emailed L A Music a number of times. They answered my first email with no explanation on why the delay and they have not emailed me or answered my four emails since. I would think that if they want to keep customers they would be up-front about whatever the problem is and try to solve it. If it's out of their control - at least let me they're trying to look into it and keep in touch with me.

I don't mind waiting for something as long as I'm told about it up-front. This is ridiculous...

And, it's not like I don't know about the freight delays at the border and the shipping costs now with the fuel prices. I've had many conversations about those issues with retailers in the past year. This is different - I don't think they were honest with me from the start.

Ya - it's only a few hundred dollars but what a way to run a business!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My L A Music on-line shopping experience!

'In stock' could be (and usually is) a grey area, as an example.... Musicians Friend will tell you if the computer lists 50 items in-stock, it could be close to or 'zero' due to lag time with pending orders and the clearence of payment (cards etc) come tomorrow when your order gets processed.

50 sounds like a high number, but for 'hot' items its where it starts getting risky. Say the sales person saw 3 DW stands, or maybe even 1 on the inventory list, that stand could have already been sold 45 min ago, just not updated in the system due to lag time.

So its not enough just to ask if the item is in stock. If they then say "Yes" next question should be "How many"? and "Can you guarentee It'll go-out tomorrow"? and so on and so forth till your completely satisfied. Don't ever hang the phone up feeling the slightest bit uneasy/unsure with your order. If your not 'totally' convinced, there's probably something going on that will cause a delay. You can't ask too many questions of the sales people, its their job to answer and its the only way you'll find anything out. You've got the money, you should be in control.

These sales people will hide info if its not a slam-dunk on their screen, even though they know from experience the order could be on a road to delay. They play the odds in favor of the house so to speak, not the customer.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
'In stock' could be (and usually is) a grey area, as an example.... Musicians Friend will tell you if the computer lists 50 items in-stock, it could be close to or 'zero' due to lag time with pending orders and the clearence of payment (cards etc) come tomorrow when your order gets processed.

50 sounds like a high number, but for 'hot' items its where it starts getting risky. Say the sales person saw 3 DW stands, or maybe even 1 on the inventory list, that stand could have already been sold 45 min ago, just not updated in the system due to lag time.

So its not enough just to ask if the item is in stock. If they then say "Yes" next question should be "How many"? and "Can you guarentee It'll go-out tomorrow"? and so on and so forth till your completely satisfied. Don't ever hang the phone up feeling the slightest bit uneasy/unsure with your order. If your not 'totally' convinced, there's probably something going on that will cause a delay. You can't ask too many questions of the sales people, its their job to answer and its the only way you'll find anything out. You've got the money, you should be in control.

These sales people will hide info if its not a slam-dunk on their screen, even though they know from experience the order could be on a road to delay. They play the odds in favor of the house so to speak, not the customer.
Fair enough - and I've been there before.

The question here is: Why haven't they answered my emails? Or better yet, why not at least look into the delay and keep in touch?

It's like they couldn't care less about my business or anyone else's business for that matter.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Customer service is a lost art. Stay on them. There is no excuse for non-communication. Call them, don't waste time on email, no one answers emails.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

The question here is: Why haven't they answered my emails? Or better yet, why not at least look into the delay and keep in touch?

They'll wait till you get the stuff, then provide an excuse, with an apology of course.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

I just got off the phone with L A Music and they told me March (that's when I ordered my cymbal arms) was very busy for them. They said we'll call you back on Tuesday they're trying to have some cymbal arms shipped to them - "they're a very popular item."

I told him to disregard my email cancelling my order and keep in touch........we'll see.
I should have my cymbal arms by Chirstmas - that would be nice!

At least I can play most of my drums for now except for my broken foot (ouch!). It's in an AirCast. Fun stuff!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has bought anything, drum hardware in particular, from L A Music, said to be Canada's largest on-line music store?

I would like to hear from you, good or bad experiences.

I ordered, and paid for at the time, some DW hardware on March 21st (this year) and haven't received anything to-date. I've been in touch - long story. I'm getting a little fed up because I was led to believe the items (four cymbal arms) were in stock at the time I placed the order.

If they would have told me it could be Three (3) months or more before I receive my order I would have made an informed decision at the time and maybe not purchased them. I just think the whole thing is very misleading.

I got in contact with a DW rep in the USA and he looked into it and said there was a problem but my stuff has been shipped from the USA but he didn't tell me what the "problem" was - that was a month or more ago.

I've emailed L A Music a number of times. They answered my first email with no explanation on why the delay and they have not emailed me or answered my four emails since. I would think that if they want to keep customers they would be up-front about whatever the problem is and try to solve it. If it's out of their control - at least let me they're trying to look into it and keep in touch with me.

I don't mind waiting for something as long as I'm told about it up-front. This is ridiculous...

And, it's not like I don't know about the freight delays at the border and the shipping costs now with the fuel prices. I've had many conversations about those issues with retailers in the past year. This is different - I don't think they were honest with me from the start.

Ya - it's only a few hundred dollars but what a way to run a business!
I did get my cymbal arms - 15 weeks after I ordered and paid for them. They were not packed with any care at all = no insulation of any kind, they were just placed into a large box and sent off to rattle around freely inside. The whole experience was disappointing. I will never order from them again. I took photos of the packaging and sent them to DW and L A Music but have not heard back from either one, and I really don't expect to, at least from L A Music. I thought DW might have at least sent a reply.

I am, however; happy with my DW cymbal arms. I'm kind of surprised there was not damage considering how they were packed.

Kona

Last edited by KONA; 08-13-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: add some text
Old 08-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

WOW Kona, you've sure had your share of bad luck in the last year, haven't you? At least it turned out well.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criz p. critter View Post
WOW Kona, you've sure had your share of bad luck in the last year, haven't you? At least it turned out well.
Considering all the drum stuff I've bought I've not done too badly. I've bought close to $11,000 in drums and drum gear this past year from many different stores and suppliers with a couple of problems for sure, but I would say it mostly has been a positive experience. It's the bad ones that tend to "stand out" though. At least I did get the DW cymbals arms in the end and unbelievable to me at the time - they were undamaged! That's what counts I guess.

My Gretsch Renown African Mahogany drums are sounding as awesome as ever and my hardware is holding up great so far. I still can't get over how beautiful all those Istanbul Agop cymbals look and sound - I'm glad I went with them. I'm using 2 of the 4 DW cymbal arms so far and I'm liking them.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM

Hey Kona,
I've dealt with LA Music before and my experience with them is mostly positive. I've only physically been to the store once myself, but my father picks things up for me sometimes because he's in that area for work every once in a while - and luckily for me he's a drummer too!

What I like about them is that they're the only store I know of in Canada that actually advertises the prices for everything they sell....and they carry a lot of stuff!! This helps when your thinking of buying something and want to get an idea of the price point for it. Steve's Music advertises the prices for some of their gear, but not all, and Axe Music advertises their prices but they have a very limited selection. With LA, I find their prices to be pretty competitive across the board and they have the best prices on quite a few items as well (I think they also price-match if you find something cheaper at another store but I'm not sure). I buy all my sticks from LA Music because they are hands down the best prices I've found. Their prices on sticks actually just went up, but even still, $8.99/pair for any Pro Mark Signature model (in hickory) is an awesome price. They used to be $7.99 and when I was there a few weeks ago, I mentioned that, so they took $1.00 off of each pair of sticks I bought - no questions asked. I wasn't trying to haggle by any means - I simpIy mentioned it as if I was thinking out loud and boom, there you go. I know sticks are inexpensive (or at least inexpensive compared to everything else in the drum world) but still, those sticks normally sell for $12 - $16 everywhere else and I try to save money wherever I can. Believe me, it all adds up. I've spent over $7000 on drums and drum gear myself so far this year so I know where you're coming from. That 7 could have easily been an 8 if I hadn't done my homework.

Along the lines of what you were saying though, I did get the impression that they are a bit disorganized in the half-hour I spent in the store. While I am surprised that your experience with them was that bad, I'm not surprised that it wasn't totally smooth.

Anyways, if you're looking to buy anything else, PM me. Hopefully I'll be able to help you save some money, or at least some leg-work in trying to find the best price.

All the best,

Mike
Old 08-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post
Hey Kona,
I've dealt with LA Music before and my experience with them is mostly positive. I've only physically been to the store once myself, but my father picks things up for me sometimes because he's in that area for work every once in a while - and luckily for me he's a drummer too!

What I like about them is that they're the only store I know of in Canada that actually advertises the prices for everything they sell....and they carry a lot of stuff!! This helps when your thinking of buying something and want to get an idea of the price point for it. Steve's Music advertises the prices for some of their gear, but not all, and Axe Music advertises their prices but they have a very limited selection. With LA, I find their prices to be pretty competitive across the board and they have the best prices on quite a few items as well (I think they also price-match if you find something cheaper at another store but I'm not sure). I buy all my sticks from LA Music because they are hands down the best prices I've found. Their prices on sticks actually just went up, but even still, $8.99/pair for any Pro Mark Signature model (in hickory) is an awesome price. They used to be $7.99 and when I was there a few weeks ago, I mentioned that, so they took $1.00 off of each pair of sticks I bought - no questions asked. I wasn't trying to haggle by any means - I simpIy mentioned it as if I was thinking out loud and boom, there you go. I know sticks are inexpensive (or at least inexpensive compared to everything else in the drum world) but still, those sticks normally sell for $12 - $16 everywhere else and I try to save money wherever I can. Believe me, it all adds up. I've spent over $7000 on drums and drum gear myself so far this year so I know where you're coming from. That 7 could have easily been an 8 if I hadn't done my homework.

Along the lines of what you were saying though, I did get the impression that they are a bit disorganized in the half-hour I spent in the store. While I am surprised that your experience with them was that bad, I'm not surprised that it wasn't totally smooth.

Anyways, if you're looking to buy anything else, PM me. Hopefully I'll be able to help you save some money, or at least some leg-work in trying to find the best price.

All the best,

Mike
Thanks for the feedback Mike.
Good to hear you have had good experiences with L A Music.

Yes - I did find they were disorganized, but to be fair, they are probably trying very hard to do things right for the customer - in most cases - and there are a lot of variables that they have no control over (Customs issues and suppliers south of the boarder are the two biggies). However, my order "fell through the cracks" so to speak I guess, because I have a hard time believing they could treat a customer (me) so badly by not contacting me, not being up-front about the delay in the order from the begining and - most of all - the horrendous job in packing and shipping.

If I lived close to their store I would maybe give them another try after hearing about your experience. But living here on the West Coast I don't think so - it's just too much hassle when things go wrong.

AND:
As much as I like DW drums, and I have thought seriously about ordering a custom DW shellpack, after this experience I am a little "gun-shy" about ordering from them. I'm not the only one in Canada that has had delivery issues with DW drums and hardware - so I've been told lately.

Thanks again for your reply Mike,
Happy drumming and
Cheers,
Kona
Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Mike.
Good to hear you have had good experiences with L A Music.

Yes - I did find they were disorganized, but to be fair, they are probably trying very hard to do things right for the customer - in most cases - and there are a lot of variables that they have no control over (Customs issues and suppliers south of the boarder are the two biggies). However, my order "fell through the cracks" so to speak I guess, because I have a hard time believing they could treat a customer (me) so badly by not contacting me, not being up-front about the delay in the order from the begining and - most of all - the horrendous job in packing and shipping.

If I lived close to their store I would maybe give them another try after hearing about your experience. But living here on the West Coast I don't think so - it's just too much hassle when things go wrong.

AND:
As much as I like DW drums, and I have thought seriously about ordering a custom DW shellpack, after this experience I am a little "gun-shy" about ordering from them. I'm not the only one in Canada that has had delivery issues with DW drums and hardware - so I've been told lately.

Thanks again for your reply Mike,
Happy drumming and
Cheers,
Kona

Hey Kona,
You're most welcome. Given your experience, I can totally understand why you wouldn't deal there again. There's really no excuse for their lack of communication and poor S&H....especially considering you had already paid them. Just out of curiousity, did you try calling them when all this was happening?? You mentioned that you emailed them numerous times (usually to no avail), but they have a toll-free tel# on their site and I'm wondering how they would have responded if you had them on the phone. It's a little more difficult to ignore someone when you're talking to them live, than it is to "miss" an email.

Anyways, I'm glad you shared this experience because now I'll make sure I don't order over the website if/when I deal with them again. In-store only is clearly the way to go here.
At the very least, you're now familiar with their site and can use it to reference prices for any future purchases. Like I said, they are pretty competitive with their pricing so you'll know if you're getting a good deal elsewhere.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
You mentioned that you emailed them numerous times (usually to no avail), but they have a toll-free tel# on their site and I'm wondering how they would have responded if you had them on the phone. It's a little more difficult to ignore someone when you're talking to them live, than it is to "miss" an email.

Mike
Yes - I phoned them a number of times. First time "Jim" said he'd look into it and get back to me. He called and said they should be shipped to me in a couple of weeks, that was two weeks after I odered them when he said that. I waited three more weeks and nothing. That's when I got DW (State-side) involved. They got back to me and said they couldn't find my order. They emailed me later and said they found it and they'd see what the problem was and they will ship my cymbal arms to LA Music right away, but they never told me what the problem was! I even emailed them back and asked them but I never heard from them again. That was about six weeks into the order. After a few phone calls and emails that wern't answered I finally received the cymbal arms fifteen (15) weeks after I placed the order, about the exact same time frame that I received my Gretsch Renown shellpack that had to come from the Gretsch factory in Taiwan (I think it's in China now).

Them's the details.......

Cheers,

Kona
Old 08-22-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Yes - I phoned them a number of times. First time "Jim" said he'd look into it and get back to me. He called and said they should be shipped to me in a couple of weeks, that was two weeks after I odered them when he said that. I waited three more weeks and nothing. That's when I got DW (State-side) involved. They got back to me and said they couldn't find my order. They emailed me later and said they found it and they'd see what the problem was and they will ship my cymbal arms to LA Music right away, but they never told me what the problem was! I even emailed them back and asked them but I never heard from them again. That was about six weeks into the order. After a few phone calls and emails that wern't answered I finally received the cymbal arms fifteen (15) weeks after I placed the order, about the exact same time frame that I received my Gretsch Renown shellpack that had to come from the Gretsch factory in Taiwan (I think it's in China now).

Them's the details.......

Cheers,

Kona

So from a customer service standpoint, you basically got jerked around by both the store and the manufacturer - the same two parties that got your money. That's brutal man. I hate hearing stories like this because it can happen to any of us and considering how expensive drum gear is, you'd think you'd get some sort of "compensation" on the customer service side of it. Maybe even a small freebie from LA Music or DW (or both) to make up for your bad experience and encourage future business. Oh well - their loss I guess.

- Mike
Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
So from a customer service standpoint, you basically got jerked around by both the store and the manufacturer - the same two parties that got your money. That's brutal man. I hate hearing stories like this because it can happen to any of us and considering how expensive drum gear is, you'd think you'd get some sort of "compensation" on the customer service side of it. Maybe even a small freebie from LA Music or DW (or both) to make up for your bad experience and encourage future business. Oh well - their loss I guess.

- Mike
Yes - I like it! Free DW stuff!

I may just send them an email and see if DW customer relations will get right on sending me a complimentary EDGE snare drum.

That would make me feel sooooooooooooooo good !

Cheers,

Kona
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2008, 05:52 AM

HAHAHAHA
Best of luck to you on that, man.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
HAHAHAHA
The email has been sent - I will now await for the arrival of that beautiful drum.

If I was them I'd send it to me.

Cheers,

Kona
Old 08-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
HAHAHAHA
I'm impressed !
I did get a response from DW but the Representative does not think I will be getting a complimentary Edge snare drum........but I'm still hoping. It would be very nice for sure.

Thought I'd keep you informed Mikey (did you get my email?).

Kona