DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 PM

Default Forced to get elec drums

It is a sad time in my life at the moment. I am having to pack up my beautiful acoustic kit with my amazingly good cymbals as I can no longer practice on them in my new apartment.

I am having to get some electric drums to practice on and I'm not happy about it at all. It's going to be life changing as all my life I've played my acoustic drums and practiced on them daily. Now I'm going to be hitting bits of rubber instead of cymbals and having not spent a great deal of time on an elec kit I am dubious as to it's long term practice and general playing use. I not only need to practice but also just groove and solo by myself for fun. I'll still be able to play my kit at gigs though.

Anyone else been through this daunting transition?

Also, I'm sure there's a lot of stuff on this topic elsewhere, but I'm thinking Roland TD-12's are the way to go for me. I wan't TD-20's but I'm not sure if they're worth the extra money just for practice. What's the advantages of TD-20 over TD-12?

(For anyone who's interested in what I'm packing away it's a Pearl Masters Studio kit, with a 14" Masters Custom snare and a 10" Mapex Maple Black Panther snare. My cymbals are Zildjian A Customs and K's. Including my wonderful hi-hats the 13" K Mastersounds. The best Hi-hats I've ever heard - There's a tear in my eye).
Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Forced to get elec drums

My sympathies bro, had the same problem!! I got the 'bottom' end Roland td3 and they've been great!! not better, not particularly worse...just different! I was playing my mapex with pads on and very frustrated; at least with the rolys you can put phones on and hear 'a kit'

plusses; you can drum as hard as you want, you can record straight onto your puter [with free software]etc

minuses; you will de-skill, I played on an acoustic kit recently and something just wasnt right, cant explain it properly but drummers who Ive spoken to have said similar things...my kit doesnt feel like a proper kit, rebound etc

conclusion; you dont sound to have much choice, go with the kit you prefer not a hugeamount of difference if its for practice at home [as opposed to recording studio/gig work] and lots of luck!
Theres loads of info and threads on here if ya get stuck, all the best Big Jon
Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Hi,

With change lies opportunity. Be creative with your electronics. Practice with a metronome or sequencer, great for your timing. I was playing all acoustic in the 70's, then the 80's came along and I was pretty much forced into a Simmons electronic kit. It's what I needed to do for the gig and to make a living. At first I was not a happy man, I also had to play along with sequencers, never realized how bad my timing was.

I have been back playing acoustics for quite a while now but feel that the electronic challenges really helped me as a drummer.

Best of luck and have fun with it.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Is this a long term thing? I can't justify spending an extra 2k on one tom, and one cymbal for the TD-20. I can see that the brains are slightly different though, not sure what the difference between them are. I imagine the TD-12 is more than what you need, I just played one recently and it was fantastic!

Find out exactly what the TD-20 can do that the TD-12 cannot, and try and justify 2k with that.

Personally I would just go with the TD-12 and maybe throw in an extra cymbal.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:24 PM

I have a TD12 because I simply can't play acoustic drums in my house. My neighbours would go crazy. I have very little experience on acoustic drums so my problem is the other way round. It is Fête de la musique this weekend in France and I am playing with my band (for the first time...) on Acoustic drums. I practice on someone else's acoustic kit when practicing and sure it's different. For me though, I am more comfortable on my TD12 than on someone else's kit, but I think that's true about everything.

The sounds are identical between the TD12 and TD20, the only difference is the extra tom and extra cymbal and a few extra outputs. The extra cash that they want for this didn't warrant it for me.

Look at the TD9 though because you can get that brain with the mesh heads and the snare sounds are far better on the TD9 brain..

The general 'simulation' is pretty good now from any of these modern high end Roland kits - I'm pretty happy with mine anyway.

Good luck!

Rich
Old 06-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

So first of all I have to say embrace them and keep practicing.

It is not one vs the other they are just a different instrument.

I practice and record on my V Drums and gig with my acoustics all the time and I love them both.

I have owned TD-8, TD-10 and now a TD-20.

The real decision is what are you going to do with the kit? If you are simply going to practice and play with recorded music or whatever the TD-12 will do that all day long. In fact any of the e kits out there will do it. I would stay with mesh heads regardless of what you decide. They feel real if you tune them right.

They both have a lot of sounds and you can create your own kits etc.

If you are going to get into recording then the TD-20 is what you want. The reason is the outputs.

The TD-12 has right / left / stereo out.

The TD-20 has:

kick-mono
snare-mono
hi-hat-mono
ride-mono
crashes-stereo
toms-stereo

This way you can record individual tracks.

I hope this helps.

Here are mine

Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 06-20-2008, 05:25 PM

I ended up in the same sit a few years back. I ended up picking up the Yamaha DTXTREME IIs. Although the sensitivity is not there with ekits yet, there is a plethora of tools that can be exploited to improve your skeeels.

1. Groove monitor that indicates how far forward, or behind the beat you are.
2. Built in metro
3. Easy recording ( 2 tracks, and bouncing [at least with the yamaha sequencer ] )
4. Recorded as MIDI where it can easily be translated to notation with very inexpensive software ( if not free ).
5. The sequencer allows for setting up pad songs, short loops, up to 9 notes played sequentially, stack up to 6 notes.
6. The sequencer allows for step recording, i.e. you can create your own loop right on the box itself.
7. Allows for MIDI songs to be played on the box directly.

I still play my acoustic kit at jam sesions and shows. However, an ekit is actually much better for practice because it is soooo rich with features that not only help you keep time more effectively, but also helps you become a better musician.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks very much for your replies thus far chaps. Very helpful indeed.

I will be using elec drums for recording, but only to get the drumming down as I can plug it straight in to my mac and Logic 8 via my sound card (I assume). Once I've put all the other things on the tracks I'll go and record my acoustic drums in a studio to replace the elec ones.

My main concern is the response. If the feel of the TD12 is as good as the TD20 then I would probably choose the TD12 as I'm not too bothered about inputs etc. I don't need loads of drums either, just two snares, two toms and the bass. Cymbals I could prob get away with hi-hats, ride, 2x crashes. Something to use as a splash and also something for a china would be good, but not necessary.

I could probably get around the whole individual track thing of the TD20 by just recording a TD12 seperately through Logic if you see what I mean.

I wish I know a lot more about electronic drums!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:30 PM

One way to get around the 1 stereo output limitation is by using the MIDI out on the edrums to control a software or hardware sampler(I use Native Instruments Battery which lets you do amazing things), you can use your kit to control whatever samples you want, and if you really want to use the samples from the drum module, simply record them individually and rebuilt the edrum kit in battery. If you were using Cubase or nuendo I could help you set this up, I don't use logic as I've always hated the interface but I know it is perfectly capable of doing this as long as you have the right VSTi.

Personally I prefer electric kits to acoustic kits for this reason amongst others.. I know I'm in the minority with that viewpoint though... but I'm more into electronic music than most people(generally I do a mix of industrial rock, DnB, breakbeat and trance)

EDIT: One additional note, whatever kit you get, make sure to spend a good amount of time learning how to set it up and configure the settings for each controller. These kits ship with basic general settings that'll get you going but you can adjust minimum velocity, gain, etc on each controller to get the feel you like. The guy I bought my kit from was semi-retarded, he didn't like the kit because rimshots weren't working on the snare(he had setup his snare pad to be the hi-hat without realizing it) and he had never gone through and setup each trigger to respond well. I spent about 4 hours tweaking settings the other day and it plays like a real kit now!

Moral of the story: Invest some time in learning your gear :)
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
It is a sad time in my life at the moment....new apartment.

...electric drums to practice on ...

Anyone else been through this daunting transition?

Look no further than your own countryman Bill Bruford http://www.billbruford.com/equipment/ for light at the end of the tunnel. 1981 to present, he's had a "very close" relationship with the Simmons drums, and from what I can see, suffered not in the least (in terms of degradation to his playing skills.)
Old 06-20-2008, 11:15 PM

I actually love my v-pros and TD20. Get a TD-12 or better yet get the TD-20 and get the vexpression kits for the module. Also, Roland just announced the new expansion card TDW-2 for the TD20. I cant wait to see what the guys at vexpressions will be able to do with the new expansion card. You can always by a cheap set of A's and convert them to E's to lessen the transition.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:41 PM

Practicing along to the sequenced music and taking advantage of the built in metronome(s) is in my mind some of the best tools for refining your skills as a drummer. I emphasis "refine".
I would never say that an electronic kit would be something where, I would throw my acoustic drums away. But, having an electronic kit, I think, is a great asset.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
It is a sad time in my life at the moment. I am having to pack up my beautiful acoustic kit with my amazingly good cymbals as I can no longer practice on them in my new apartment.
I am having to get some electric drums to practice on and I'm not happy about it at all. It's going to be life changing as all my life I've played my acoustic drums and practiced on them daily. Now I'm going to be hitting bits of rubber instead of cymbals
Same here!.... welcome in the club!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 AM

If you want to know more about the TD-12 and TD-20 and what they are capable of, hit up the discussion forum at vdrums.com. Lots and lots of banter there.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 AM

man i wouldnt even go with a roland set....there are far better electronic kits out there for that price than the TD-12 Kit and TD-20 Kits...I know everyone has their opinions...but i feel that the pintech electronics kits are by far better than the Rolands

I would recommend this Kit Instead of The Roland Kit and Cymbals
http://store.tigermix.com/pteroadprokittd12.html

This kit comes with a Roland TD-12 Module

Also the cymbals are Hand made of Acrylic...i own a set of these...its worth every penny of the money i spent on them....

You get 4 cymbals with this one as well...

13" Visu-Lite Hi-Hat System 2 1602 RYC Dual Zone Crashes With Chokes 1 1803 18" Three Zone Ride With Bell, Bow, and Edge zones

2 dual zone 10" ConcertCast Toms , 2 dual zone 12" ConcertCast Toms , and 1 dual zone 14" AX14S AcousTech steel piccolo snare, all with SilenTech mesh heads and rim triggers

This kit is about $3999....which is about a littly more than the Roland TD-12 Kit, but trust me its worth it...its still $2000 less than the TD-20 Kit....

All the drum shells are made of Cast Aluminum...and if im not mistaking a lot of rolands shells are a type of plastic....

You should also look into RET Percussion....they make really nice custom electronic kits that look almost like acoustic kits
Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Honestly I would go with Yamaham electric drums, but if you're going for the Roland kit the TD-20 should be pretty good.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your replies chaps. Some good stuff here.

I checked out a TD-12 at the weekend and was not impressed with the response and feel. It needed a LOT of fine tuning. Hopefully, when I go back to the shop they'll have sorted it so I can see what it's supposed to be like. I have to say, the hi-hats response wasn't the best. Nor were the cymbals. You can't really play them anywhere for different sounds. There was no bell sound either, but I'm guessing this can be changed. I hope so.

I'll look into Yamaha too, but I have now decied I don't want to spend more than £2000. So TD-20's are out.

Quite day at work, so I'm going to check out the vdrums forums now.

Cheers,

Spence
Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM

The 8 outputs on the TD20 in my humble opinion are worth the extra $$$$

I dont have to spend hours mic`ing my Sonor kit, I can spend more time just
playing and recording. If you dont have a multi-track studio then I am sure the
TD12 or TD9 sounds are every bit as good as the TD20
Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm in the exact same situation as you, Spence. I gave up my practice room a few months ago because I'm not jamming with anybody at the moment and it's also 45 minutes away. Whenever I did go out there, I'd get bored after 20 minutes and go back home.

Anyway, I finally decided to invest in an e-kit that I can have at the apartment and also have some music to play along with. I did the research and I've got a Yamaha DTxtreme III on order. I went back and forth between Roland and Yamaha and, although Roland has the mesh heads that feel slightly more similar to a real drum, everything else about the Yamaha blew away the Roland. The bottom line is the only thing that's going to feel and respond like a real drum is a real drum. So don't get too caught up in the mesh vs. rubber pads debate. E-kits and A-kits will always be apples to oranges.

I'm really looking forward to having an e-kit. I had such disdain for e-kits for years until I finally looked into them and was blown away by how far the technology has come on them. They're an excellent practice tool and a hell of a lot of fun to play on.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

the Roland kits are rock solid and all the components work together as designed.

This is my 3rd E kit so I do have a little experiance.

The reason I make this statement is I used to have a kit that was a Roland head and an other brand drums and cymbals. I never got it to play as well as a Roland kit does out of the box. I also got tired of calling two companies trying to get thing to work as they should.

I am sure Yamaha and any other company that builds the head and drums would work well too.

I would not worry to much about issues on an electronic kit sitting on the showroom floor at your local music store. Most of these kit shave been beaten to death. I would hope you will never put your kit through the same grueling punishment.

I have been playing my TD-20 kit for over 2 years now and I have had 0 problems.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Hi Chaps,

Once again, thanks for all your replies. I ended up going for the TD12 and bought them at the weekend. In the end the TD20 was just too expensive for what I needed them for. I got a pretty good deal IMO. Got an extra stool, double pedal and hihat stand. I now have 2 of each! I hear ebay calling.

I quickly set them up last night and upon my brief inspection it all seemed pretty easy to figure out. I'll be getting to grips with them a little more this evening. Then I'll really see how well they perform when I'm in practice mode.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:54 PM

Get Superior 2.0 for your new kit. The sounds are just incredible.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Investing in a Roland TMC-6 will add 6 trigger inputs for the TD12. Ruppsdrums.com has them for $225.

Quote:
Hi Chaps,

Once again, thanks for all your replies. I ended up going for the TD12 and bought them at the weekend. In the end the TD20 was just too expensive for what I needed them for. I got a pretty good deal IMO. Got an extra stool, double pedal and hihat stand. I now have 2 of each! I hear ebay calling.

I quickly set them up last night and upon my brief inspection it all seemed pretty easy to figure out. I'll be getting to grips with them a little more this evening. Then I'll really see how well they perform when I'm in practice mode.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

You seem to really love your acoustic kit, and if I was in the same position, I would spend the 2k, 3k etc on soundproofing your apartment so you're neighbor's can't hear it.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
You seem to really love your acoustic kit, and if I was in the same position, I would spend the 2k, 3k etc on soundproofing your apartment so you're neighbor's can't hear it.
No kidding. Why not just look into mesh heads or silencers?
Old 10-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

Well, with those, you don't get the same feel, even worse than electric kits in most cases. But you could appreciate your kit at FULL VOLUME if you got some panels, maybe even one of those studio room things, and completely soundproofed the walls.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:24 PM

I've had exactly the same problem a while ago...
I bought the roland td-12 wich i think was a good choice. Ofcourse the TD-20 is better because of the bigger/more drums, more cymbals and a drum module with a memory card slot.
But I still better like accoustic I try to play as much as possible on my accoustic set when my neighbours aren't at home.
The biggest problem I've had with the TD-12 is the positioning of the drums. Because of the wires and rack it's not possible to place your drums where ever you want. (my guess is that the TD-20 has the same problem)

You could also spend the money for the TD-12/20 on sound proofing one of the rooms in your appartment. (I don't know what your place is like but you might wan't to consider that)
Old 11-13-2008, 12:39 PM

Sound proofing is not an option for me. It would be breaching the terms of my lease. Plus, all the sound proofing in the world wouldn't completely cut out the noise and that's what I need to do.

I am getting pretty used to the TD12s now. Got everything set up quite nicely. My only problem is the ride cymbal pad is a little too small for my liking. I may get a larger one but they're pretty expensive.

Really like some of the drum sounds. Especially my custom kit which is loosely based on the 'highspeed' kit. It's super easy to record and edit using the midi etc.

I was also slightly worried about practicing on them and it's effect on my acoustic drumming, but all is fine. Still play acoustic drums at least once a week in the studio so it's all good.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Pioneer Member

As long as you get to play acoustic drums every once in a while you should be fine. Electric drums just sort of kill your 'feel' on real drums. You can't play the same way on both, it's hard to describe, but it just can't be done. I can do loads on acoustic sets that aren't even available options on e-kits yet, but I can do stuff on an electric set that I can't figure out on an acoustic set. TD-12s are fun. We have one on campus here (I hate to play on it though because the triggering is all worn out now). They sound fruity live though (for some reason we have to use the e-kit for the rock band here, because they don't want to fool with mics on acoustic drums). I really don't get to play on acoustic kit much. We have an old Maxwin set w/ Pinstripes (bleh) in the other music building I'm using for jazz band and now a musical. It's outfitted with ZBTs just to make matters worse and just cannot be tuned at all. I would much love to use my Gretsch or Mapex kit here, but there really isn't a place for it, and I wouldn't want to leave it just sitting around. So essentially, I never get to practice at all really.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 AM
trkdrmr

Tip o' the month:

Contact brian@hopedrums.com

Get a Pintech mesh kit + roland brain. For what you'd spend on a td-12, you can get a Td-20 brain, pintech kit and have plenty of cash to spare.

http://www.hopedrums.com/What's%20Inside.htm
Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

Enjoy your new E-drums!

I have a Roland TD-8 module and I actually went the DIY route in making my own E-drums.. Very easy actually, with some elbow grease, good plans (easily found on vdrums.com forum) and patience. It was very satisfying in the end. I too had them so I could practice in an apartment setting.

Nowadays, in a new home I can bash away on acoustics. But another GREAT thing is now that you have both an acoustic and electronic set, you can augment your acoustic drums with some of electronic pads and the module in live settings... kind of like Akira Jimbo! talk about versatility and creativity behind the kit!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

First of all, Why do you have to get rid of your acoustic set?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
First of all, Why do you have to get rid of your acoustic set?
Sorry, dude, the thread is over...
Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sorry, dude, the thread is over...
Im still curious.
How come you had to get an E-Kit?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
Im still curious.
How come you had to get an E-Kit?
Well, if you want to know the answer, you could, you know, READ THE THREAD...

You did the same thing on my symphonic band thread. You didn't even read my original post!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

I can no longer practice on them in my new apartment.

I see
Old 11-30-2008, 04:26 AM

Get a pintech kit i own one its the best kit you can get for the money
and the other guy is right for the money youd spend on a td-20 kit you could have a great pintech kit and a module

They have free shipping on all pintech stuff here
http://www.rickiesdiscountelectronic...essories-1923/
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Dudes, before you give up your acoustic kits try drum silencers!!! They're dirt cheap!!!!

http://www.wwbw.com/Evans-Evans_HQ_P...:referralID=NA

You can play quietly and still have your kit for playing live shows
Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumman8524 View Post
Get a pintech kit i own one its the best kit you can get for the money
and the other guy is right for the money youd spend on a td-20 kit you could have a great pintech kit and a module

They have free shipping on all pintech stuff here
http://www.rickiesdiscountelectronic...essories-1923/
Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Dudes, before you give up your acoustic kits try drum silencers!!! They're dirt cheap!!!!

http://www.wwbw.com/Evans-Evans_HQ_P...:referralID=NA

You can play quietly and still have your kit for playing live shows
Wow, you guys are pretty ignorant. You DO realize that he already bought his electric kit, right? About a couple MONTHS ago. I quote:

Hi Chaps,

Old 12-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Wow, you guys are pretty ignorant. You DO realize that he already bought his electric kit, right? About a couple MONTHS ago. I quote:

Hi Chaps,

Hey, thanks for pointing that out, i feel like a heel now. I feel like my useful comment that someone else might take into consideration was totally uncalled for. Didn't take the time to read the entire thread like i should have. I'll be sure to do that in the future as to not upset you anymore.

Have a nice day.