DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 AM

Default Cheap Mics

I need to purchase some microphones for recording, but I really don't know what i'm looking for. I don't have a lot of money to spend only about $150, with cables. I also am not sure if I want to buy drum mics, because I also play guitar and bass, and might want to record those too. I know I'm not gonna get the best sound on my budget but I want it to sound decent. Does anyone have any mic suggestions, or just buying tips (such as frequencies, how do I know if it can handle the volume of the drums, ect.) Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Cheap Mics

Buy a single pair of overheads. AKG C1000 are the ones I will always recommend on a budget, but that is stretching it slightly - look into used ones. You'll have to make sure that any desk you use has phantom power. If that really is too much, just get one overhead - i.e. one AKG C1000, but that won't provide any stereo image. That's a general purpose condenser microphone that will be perfectly happy with guitar amps if you know what you're doing with it. Basically, as far as I see it, there is an order of priority for drum microphones. It goes something like this:

i) Overheads. These will pick up everything and are used as the basis of most sounds.
ii) Bass drum. Sometimes the overheads don't have enough low-end pickup, so you'd need a bass drum microphone just for more punch.
iii) Snare top. Will provide more focus to the snare - but this is largely picked up in the overheads anyway.
iv) Snare bottom. Can add another dimension to the snare sound, making it sound 'bigger'. This is a common technique in studios but less common in home recording because of the associated phase issues, etc.
v) Tom mics. Largely just for providing a little more focus. Toms are always picked up in the overheads.
vi) Extras like room mics or hi hat mics. Room mics can be very useful if you have a good acoustic space. Usually this will be a large diaphragm, omnidirectional condenser of one description or another. Again, this is a more advanced technique.

I prefer to use as few microphones as possible anyway, I like room mics as well. Sometimes a pair of condensers is all you need; but for 'rock' drumming, the low-end of the bass is usually fairly important. Nevertheless, I would recommend looking second hand for either a single or pair of AKG C1000's or Rode NT5's (which are similar in specification). The AKG C1000 can be powered using a 9V battery, which might be important if you haven't got a desk with phantom power.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM

The AKG is $220 for 1 mic. That's way out of my price range. Also I am going into an Alesis usb mixer with phantom power. I have recorded my drums before, but I just used the mics my band had on hand, so I know sort of how to set it up, and that even with crappy mics I can still get it to sound ok. I think last time I recorded I had a snare mic, bass drum, and 2 overhead. But I want it to be as good as possible.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Like I said, look second hand. You'll get a lot more for your money.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

If you're recording try 2 overhead condenser mics and a bass drum mic if you mix it right you'll be surprised how good it sounds.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead
Old 06-19-2008, 08:50 PM

I have been happy with my results using a pair of naiant overheads ($60 a pair)
http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html

I posted some examples here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=38647

Regards,
Wayne

Last edited by wloeb; 06-19-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

I have been very happy with Behringer ECM8000 condensers for the past five years. I have two of them. They're phantom powered, omnidirectional and designed for sound engineering measurement and a very good bargain at $50 each new. They make great all-around mics for recording, live overhead miking and even vocal/PA applications. They have a very flat frequency response - they don't emphasize low or high tones and what goes into them is exactly what goes into the amp or mixer. These are excellent mics for the price point
Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM

Fixed the link
Please try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
I have been happy with my results using a pair of naiant overheads ($60 a pair)
http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html

I posted some examples here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=38647

Regards,
Wayne
Old 06-21-2008, 08:01 PM

What do people think of these options for overhead mics for some basic recording of my drumming:

C-2 BEHRINGER STUDIO CONDENSER MICROPHONES: web-link

C1 BEHRINGER MICROPHONE, STUDIO CONDENSER: web-link

C-3 BEHRINGER MICROPHONES, STUDIO CONDENSER: web-link

Thanks.