DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-17-2008, 02:23 AM

Default Suggestions for cymbal stands/mounts

I need suggestions for cymbal stands/mounts. I need something sturdy enough to hold my rather large cymbals, and not too expensive. I got a 24" ride, an 18" crash, an 18"medium crash, an 18"wild crash, and an 18" power crash. all are Paiste 2002 cymbals I also need a hi-hat stand. A Paiste 2002 15" sound edge, Bonham style.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Suggestions for cymbal stands/mounts

The Pearl 800W. This is the product of the drum industry that doesn't make any sense. This stand is the sturdiest, most reliable stand I've ever laid eyes on. Even the much more expensive DW's and Yamahas don't compare. This stand is so thick and sturdy(weighs a ton) it can hold anything!

This picture makes it look scrawny, but it's the beefiest stand I've ever seen. I won't buy anything else.

Oh....forgot to mention......only $60!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 AM

thanks btw does anyone know any like great drum stores. I know Guitar Center and mmusicians friend, sam ash, but i need like a hardcore drum store/site
Old 06-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

i would reccomend Yamaha...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-C...28-i1137969.gc

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-17-2008, 02:51 AM

go to fivestardrumshops.com and search for a store near you
Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
The . This is the product of the drum industry that doesn't make any sense. This stand is the sturdiest, most reliable stand I've ever laid eyes on. Even the much more expensive DW's and Yamahas don't compare. This stand is so thick and sturdy(weighs a ton) it can hold anything!

This picture makes it look scrawny, but it's the beefiest stand I've ever seen. I won't buy anything else.

Also good to mention on Pearl 800W, you need to use the 'memory lock' that's on the boom, or it won't hold jack without slipping.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Pearl 800W. This is the product of the drum industry that doesn't make any sense. This stand is the sturdiest, most reliable stand I've ever laid eyes on. Even the much more expensive DW's and Yamahas don't compare. This stand is so thick and sturdy(weighs a ton) it can hold anything!

I only use DW 5000 and 9000 hardware because it's top-of-the-line, but it is expensive. If that Pearl stand is just as good and only $60 (and it may well be), that's a very good deal.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

where are you seeing it at $60?

Quote:

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-23-2008, 06:36 PM

If you have the money shell out for some Pearl 1000 or 2000 hardware.

Otherwise look for some cheap Gibraltar stuff. They make great hardware, even in the less expensive lines.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

I just went lighter, and got DW 7700 series boom/straight stands (just finally got sick of hauling the heavy stuff--which was really great gear, just got sick of the weight).

I got the DW 7700's for $67 each.

It's a super sturdy stand, and will absolutely handle your crashes & ride.

I use 19, 20 and 21" crash cymbals, and this stand will handle the cymbal being played at any amount of force someone is likely to dish out.
I use them just in the straight position, and I have no fear of them failing in any way at all.

If you are using a boom for the ride, you may want to check out the 9700L lighter version double braced--it weighs just a couple pounds more--but I don't think you'd need it.

I went with a 5500TL (2 leg lighter weight) hat stand too. This stand cost $116.

I use 15" hats and play them pretty vigorously a lot (most of) the time, and I haven't had any problem at all.

I also use a 24" Med ride, and even though I have the ride on the bass drum (at this time), I have used this 24" ride on the DW FLAT BASE(!) straight stand without any problem, or feeling that the stand isn't going to hold up.

One of the great things about this 7000 series is that there are memory locks at every adjustment point, and the locks have little notches that sit inside a groove in the height adjustment point....it's not going to move on you.

The boom arm is also knurled, so even if you don't use the provided mem lock, it's not going to move either (like the Pearl stand Les mentioned, where you need to use the lock or you have an upside down cymbal.....)

Here's a couple other things I noticed on this DW stand....

The single brace legs have a bend in the (small straight) part the attaches the leg itself to the bottom of the base, and that seems to make whole the stand sturdier.

There are also 2 screws that hold the very bottom of the whole leg section to the 1" base post---most stands only have 1 screw, and the actual piece that holds the legs on is pretty substantial.

Being "into" hardware and stands and stuff like that, I was pretty impressed by this stand to be honest.

A lot of times in the past, some single braced stands have been kinda sub-par versions of the "heavy duty" stand from the same brand, but that's not the case with this single braced 7000 series stand group from DW.

If you want to go DB, I can highly recommend Gibraltar's 9600 Brake Tilter series.

Memory locks at every point, gear-less tilter, top notch quality (as good as anything out if I have to spell it out), very reasonable price....comfortable wing nuts, super smooth spin getting the cymbal top wing nut on and off, heavy duty construction...10 out of 10.

I used these stands for the few couple years (3 or 4), and it's absolutely totally road worthy, and can handle anything anyone can dish out to it.

Yamaha stands are/have always been real nice, but they do not have memory locks (only after-market, if at all), and they still have teeth in the tilter, but, if those things don't matter, or you don't need mem locks, or care about toothless tilters, they've been a quality buy.

Good luck in your hardware buy's!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 PM
peanut23s

well i use bigdog stands along with their db pedal pretty good + kl badge ;)

hold pretty well good buy if ure not having the largest pocket less than 50 for their top boom i think

i wanna be able to use the top pearl stands but cannot afford them so its bigdog for me

oh yr i use either wembleydrumcentre.com or gak.co.uk quick delivery and a wide range of stock.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

I boom a Gibraltar splash cymbal clamp off of a yamaha single-braced 600 series straight cymbal stand to hold my 24" K Light Ride (and another clamp with a 19" and an 18" on top of the stand). I have never had a problem with it slipping or tipping. Of course, I mount the cymbals over the legs, but that's just common sense.

The point is, you don't need anything super heavy, reinforced, double/triple/gazillionple-braced to mount even bigger cymbals. Just be smart about how you're doing it.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I boom a Gibraltar splash cymbal clamp off of a yamaha single-braced 600 series straight cymbal stand to hold my 24" K Light Ride (and another clamp with a 19" and an 18" on top of the stand). I have never had a problem with it slipping or tipping. Of course, I mount the cymbals over the legs, but that's just common sense.

The point is, you don't need anything super heavy, reinforced, double/triple/gazillionple-braced to mount even bigger cymbals. Just be smart about how you're doing it.
Totally agree, use a mixture of yamaha 600 and 700 series and work amazingly well. Very sturdy yet single braced so light weight when your gigging. And totally agree, just mount the cymbals over the legs.