DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 PM

Default ION iDM02 problem

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post on this forum. Love the site and information on the forums.

I've recently started taking lessons from an accomplished drum teacher and I'm devouring the 40 rudiments and basic drum set techniques. Being time to move up to a quiet option other than tapping on my kneecaps, I recently picked up the low-end ION iDM02 drum kit at a local shop. (I'm never going to be serious enough to drop $700-$1000 on this new adventure so entry level is just right for my needs)

when I turn on the electronic drum machine, it doesn't always allow the kit to make sound when hitting the pads. the buttons make noise so I know the speakers are working. The instruction booklet simply says turn on the unit and the pads will work.

If I turn off the unit then turn it back on 2 or 3 times, it will start working.
This was a new unit directly out of the box, so I'm wondering if this is normal for this model or if I have a defective unit. (I have no prior knowledge or experience of drum units to know if this is some type of user error on my part, either)

Does anyone know if this is a defect or normal with the model?

thank you.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: ION iDM02 problem

i had the rather unfortunate experience of using that module for a while at a church while my sets were still coming back, and even though it was not a stellar set, I never once had that problem. It always booted fine, and while it was strictly an entry-level module, i never experienced any malfunctions in the triggering or programming. I would suggest taking it back or sending it in for warranty service (if its offered).

One thing though- let the set completley turn on and load up before playing it. Even on my Roland and the Yamaha kits I've played on, if you start playing as its coming on, it sometimes will screw up the triggering.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the insight.

I called their technical support and they agreed the unit is defective.

I'll be returning it shortly.

thanks again. :)
Old 06-18-2008, 04:40 AM

The new module works perfectly. thanks again.

So as to aid in learning to read sheet music for drums, might there be any resource out there where the built in patterns for this machine are written down?
I find nothing per Google but it seems like it would make a decent self-study since I only have lessons once a week.

thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

hmm, can't think of anywhere you might find that.

however, as you get into your lessons, you'll start using books that have play-along cd's and everything is transcribed out in the book. These books usually start after you get through the rudiments. You can ask your drum teacher for his recommendations of where he is going to have you go, and then just pick up the book now and start practicing out of it now; but there is no need to rush.
If you have a good instructor, and you practice what he tells you to practice, you will come along fine (God how I wish I had done that!). If you start practicing to many things at once, you won't get control of the basic fundamentals that you'll need to build on later. Once you feel comfortable moving around the kit and playing a grove or rudiments with consistency, then feel free to start exploring the books, DVD's, and cd's.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 AM

Greetings, i have recently purchased the Ion Drum Kit (iDM02) and was rather excited, i have had two lessons and am looking forward to havin some fun! However, i had a ratherr aggravating time settin the Kit up, due to the annoying structure of it -wink- but passed the time easily and got everything in place.

After that i hooked everything up, let the machine boot for a few seconds and started bangin away... until i realized that the two foot pedals did not work (Hi-Hat and Kick/Base). I have tried multiple times, turning the machine off and on, unplugging and replugging the cord that leads to the foot pedal and the hi-hat... but nothing.

Now, i am no electronic expert, nor musical instructor, but i believe that the foot pedals are broken/disabled in someway, unless i am wrong.

Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated!
-Belligerent Bumble Buddy Retrix
Old 07-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I don't specifically know the Ion unit, but are you sure that the pedals are assigned in the module as MIDI input devices?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM

i just picked one of the ion idm02 kits used and it alright for what it is i mainlt want to see if there are other peddals you can use for the set for double bass playing.. any info would be great! thanks
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 AM

I have the ION iDM02 its working good so far but i have a serious issue with the bass pedal. Its not functioning right. When i hit the pedal once it sounds like i hit it twice.. I tried to fix it but seems like theres something wrong with it. and same problem with the hi-hats pedal. I live in Egypt i got it from France i have no retailers here to get back to.. Any helpful clues would be great.. Thanks