DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-15-2008, 01:33 AM

Default evans EC2 coated or Hyrdaulics

Im looking for some new heads for my M birch kit. ive been researching alot on hydraulics. they say there like hitting cardboard. i want a sound that is fat and controlled. i want very little overtones. any reviews on both would be great. thanks. my toms are 12x9 14x14 16x16
Old 06-15-2008, 01:44 AM

Default Re: evans EC2 coated or Hyrdaulics

What stlye do you play?

Because i personally would never ever put hudraulics on any drum. they are simply the most dead a drum can sound. It would be like placing duct tape across the whole head top and bottom. Then putting 20 moongels on top of that.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:52 AM

If you want sound from your drum: EC2 (which gives you a punchy, wet, controlled sound thatīs still lively)
If you want no sound: Hydraulics
Old 06-15-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
What stlye do you play?

Because i personally would never ever put hudraulics on any drum. they are simply the most dead a drum can sound. It would be like placing duct tape across the whole head top and bottom. Then putting 20 moongels on top of that.
I play alternative/technical type rock. im leaning towards ec2 coated. im thinking this will definently fit my needs. still need more opinions
Old 06-15-2008, 04:13 AM

why would you want absolutley ZERO overtones? if you placed mics over your drums with ZERO overtones, then it will definetly sound like hitting a table top. my recommendation is ec2 clears, or the famous g2/g1 pair. g2's are fat sounding, yet still have tone.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:16 AM

I tried ome hydrualics on a Bubinga kit today, sounded quiet nice. Very fat, mellow, and warm. I don't know how they would fair on your birch kit, but a safe bet would be the evans EC1's.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 AM

I just replaced all of my drums heads for our last gig (top and bottom) and I can tell you that this head combination I am using now gives my Yamaha Stage Custom a concert arena sound ! I have had numerous complements and many drummers asking me how I have achieved this huge sound.

Bass Drum : Evans Emad Clear Batter and Black Resonant with hole ,I am using the larger muffling ring of the 2 that are provided with the head pack. You will no longer have to shove a pillow or blanket in your bass drum. Incredible wet punchy sound and easy to tune (tune it just passed getting the wrinkles out,both sides) sounds unbelievable miked or not with no nasty over tones or unwanted ring coming from the drum.

Toms: Evans Clear EC2 Batter and Evans Clear Resonant on the bottoms,I use a G1 clear on the bottom of my floor tom only,it gives it a killer warm low growl with the slightly thicker head on the bottom of the floor tom. With the new Evans EC2 you wont have to use any moon gel or zero rings anymore. my sound man loves them,the drums are close miked and we don't evan have to gate the toms,plenty of projection,full attack very warm and the drum sings beautifully without those nasty overtones.

Snare: Evans HD Dry on the batter side and Evans Hazy 300 on the bottom. The HD Dry batter head has an overtone control ring underneath the head and vent holes on the batter side,this head Rocks!,you can crank it and its very durable too,again no need for zero rings tape or moon gel you can tune it low for a fatter sound or really crank it up which i do.The hazy 300 on the bottom snare side is the most versatile snare side head its really crisp and holds up very well evan cranked up real tight.My Snare Cracks through the room and projects all the way to the back of the house,sounds great live miked or not and the rim shots are incredible sounding.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

As mentioned, the hydraulics will hide any tone your drums may have.

Just as important, however, is that even if you like that sound they are really only appropriate for use miked-up. Play them unmiked and they'll never be heard.

Remember that the sound you hear on recordings bears little resemblance to the actual sound of drums, and if you muffle to get that sound from the driver's seat the drums will sound soft and dead from the audience. For drums to sound loud 'n' lively unmiked they need to ring.