DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Re: my "not so special" kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Somewhere in my cymbal bag, I have a few of those "other" brands. Paiste, Zildjian, Meinl, Ufip, but I got the handcrafted bug a few years ago. There's just a "spirituality", a "je ne sais quoi" about them. I'm very familiar with the Mandala drum. One of my co-horts has two V1's and two V2's. And two Korg wave drums. No, what you saw in my kit were old school Tama Techstar drums. Real analog synthesizer stuff. And a Roland SPD-S and a Electro Harmonics looping station. So his machines and my machines play very well together, but they don't replicate each other. I had a Yamaha Recording Custom, and that made me fall in love with their drums and their hardware. At some point in time, I'm sure I'll be driving Yamaha again.
my sentiments exactly. :) they have this "je ne sais quoi" which i couldn't find in others. i do not have any of the other brands in my cymbal bag but i have tried nearly every one of them at studios, music shops or friends' drums that i had the chance to play with. have you got the chance to check out the sample i have posted by the way? is it as "old school" as we tried it should be?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 AM

hey all,

i have prepared some samples in the drum gear forum. they are midi drums individually separated (kick, snare, hat) to different channels and compressed and eq'ed.

hope you all like it.

VST thread
Old 11-12-2009, 10:09 PM

Hi, I also have a similar set up with a low end PDP drum set. Reasonably priced drum sets are ok if they stay put in one place. The reason is the hardware will fall apart if moved often. Most of my hardware is now Pearl anyway.
Although John H. Bonham allegedly said He loved drums more than cymbals, I reasoned I needed to purchase the best cymbals I could, given my budget, and go cheap on the drums. From reading this forum I understood that the sound of drums can be changed but cymbals are what they are, unless you put tape on them and I do not want do that.
So I got the Samatya cymbal pack: 14" hi hats, 16" crash and 20" ride.
They sounded very much like much more expensive cymbals you can hear on the major cymbal makers' web sites. And really as a beginner drummer it was hard for me to decide which cymbal was better. I could hear the difference but most sounded good to me.
After months of playing I needed to know if my Mehmet were really any good. So I purchased the best cymbal I could that was reliable. I added an 18" Paiste Signature full crash worth in itself more than all the Samatya cymbals I own.
Well the Paiste sounds good, but no better then the hand hammered Samatya. I think they actually go well together and my Samatyas are a keeper.
More money doesn't mean better necessarely.
I put Evans G2 heads on my drums, moved the 13" tom to the floor next to my 16" floor tom and gave my ride cymbal some space. Because a good set up is really all about the ride cymbal location, nice and low. Subsequently I added a vintage 6.5 Slingerland cob snare and a good DW throne. I am a happy man.

Last edited by jazzkidding; 11-16-2009 at 06:10 PM.