DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Default DW 9000 heel plate

Hello all, I wanted to discuss a topic that I do not hear people discussing much that I think needs to be discussed. It is about the DW 9000 heel plate. What is with that thing? I hate that thing. And they have more heel plates that you can stack on top of one another...what for? so you can play really high in the air or something. I don't like it because I can't rest my feet on the ground comfortably and then raise when I want to play loud. I am sort of forced to play heel down which it has helped me with my heel down technique and i can play pretty much anything like that now. But as far as playing heel up it is a pain because my leg wants to go all the way to the floor to play and then rest but it is always stopped.

I am not one of those guys who leave the beater into the bass drum head and leaves their leg up in the air and calls that comfortable. No, I play jazz so I am playing heel down most of the time. I have heard about someone who converts the DW 9000s into comfortable pedals where this is practically no heel plate at all with a new footboard and everything. I am considering doing this even though it will cost me more money. I have also heard of people sawing off the heel plate of the 9000s since they do not come off conveniently! Believe me I've tried that too. Well, except the sawing part.

Let me know if you have any thoughts about this or experience removing or customizing the pedal. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: DW 9000 heel plate

I have turned a standard pedal into a longboard - probably doesn't have the same feel as an OEM longboard, but it might work for some people. See the April 20 entry at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=23501&page=4
Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

I'm just curious, if you don't like the heel, why did you buy the pedal? Were you able to try the pedal out before you bought it? I played the 5002 for ten years, then tried out the 9002 and have never looked back.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamchopsC View Post
Hello all, I wanted to discuss a topic that I do not hear people discussing much that I think needs to be discussed. It is about the DW 9000 heel plate. What is with that thing? I hate that thing. And they have more heel plates that you can stack on top of one another...what for? so you can play really high in the air or something. I don't like it because I can't rest my feet on the ground comfortably and then raise when I want to play loud. I am sort of forced to play heel down which it has helped me with my heel down technique and i can play pretty much anything like that now. But as far as playing heel up it is a pain because my leg wants to go all the way to the floor to play and then rest but it is always stopped.

I am not one of those guys who leave the beater into the bass drum head and leaves their leg up in the air and calls that comfortable. No, I play jazz so I am playing heel down most of the time. I have heard about someone who converts the DW 9000s into comfortable pedals where this is practically no heel plate at all with a new footboard and everything. I am considering doing this even though it will cost me more money. I have also heard of people sawing off the heel plate of the 9000s since they do not come off conveniently! Believe me I've tried that too. Well, except the sawing part.

Let me know if you have any thoughts about this or experience removing or customizing the pedal. Thank you.

You may want to look at DW's web site, they now have a pedal for ya, its got no heel plate.

Its all about making money, drum co's need to come up with new ideas to market as a way to increase profits. You can only sell so many 5000's. People want what they don't have, they have 5000's, but they don't have the stackable heel-plate 5000. Manufactures live and die by new products and ideas.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 PM

FlamChopsC,

You bring up great points. The DW heel plates are too high and get in the way. And I have no idea why anyone would want to use a stackable heel plate! I have developed a heel less pedal and liscenced it to DW. It is the new DW 5000 Heel Less pedal. You can check it out at www.DWdrums.com. Go to the 5000 page and scroll down to the bottom. It should be in stores this fall so be on the look out. It feels very comfortable and I think you will enjoy it. If you want to discuss further send me an e mail at mpacker49@earthlink.net.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

How about getting down to business, forget the heel plate, forget the foot board even, just a stirrup hanging down from the shaft. Who needs a foot board anyway?

What's not to love???
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 06-15-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 AM

I am thinking about trying and buy this customising kit just to see what its like and the different feel it gives to the pedal. If i do, will give you a review.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
I have heard about someone who converts the DW 9000s into comfortable pedals where this is practically no heel plate at all with a new footboard and everything. I am considering doing this even though it will cost me more money. I have also heard of people sawing off the heel plate of the 9000s since they do not come off conveniently! Believe me I've tried that too. Well, except the sawing part.

This guy actually just recently posted his "custom" DW 9000 pedal over in the Pearl Forums. He says his friend broke the original footboard, so his friend made this to replace it.
http://pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=207770
Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
How about getting down to business, forget the heel plate, forget the foot board even, just a stirrup hanging down from the shaft. Who needs a foot board anyway?
Whoa, freaky. That actually would be worth a try!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Same, would love to try that 5000 pedal. Has anyone who can review it?

There is also the 5000ADS:

Quote:
Same as 5000AD3, except with adjustable one-piece footboard
The 5000AD3 is the normal singal base pedal.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Wow, thanks for the replies, it has been a great help. I'm looking at that 5000 dw heel-less pedal and it looks great but the ultimate would be a 9000 heel-less. I'm going to see if I can either pay money to get it customized or figure out how to do it myself. that is basically the design I have seen before. Anyone have any tips on how to replace the footboard and covert to heel-less? I'm going to look into it.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the replies, it has been a great help. I'm looking at that 5000 dw heel-less pedal and it looks great but the ultimate would be a 9000 heel-less. I'm going to see if I can either pay money to get it customized or figure out how to do it myself. that is basically the design I have seen before. Anyone have any tips on how to replace the footboard and covert to heel-less? I'm going to look into it.
See page 4 of this thread:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23501
Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM

FlamChopsC,

You should call DW and see if they will do a 9000 heel less for you. It should be easy for them to do.