DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Gibraltar clampon an ICON leg?

Hello All...back for a bit of hardware knowledge-mining.

I recently purchased a used Pearl ICON 503, and I'm loving it. I've been able to configure my setup so that I clamp an upright post out of the bass drum to "hang" it. I have also been able to clamp on the hi-hat stand. with a clamp between that and my slave pedal for double bass, the only things that can change position show-to-show are my throne and the snare.

...which brings me to my question. I'm considering running a snare basket-arm for my primary snare. Given the mount points of other set components, the mount height off of a square horizontal tube wouldn't be right. Because of that limitation, I was thinking of a Gibraltar road-series clamp on the round surface, running the snare basket arm at a right-angle, straight out to me.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a mic/caliper set, and I haven't found a diameter spec on the ICON uprights. Of course, I'm trying to avoid the typical home improvement-style series of six trips to the store, buying stuff until it fits.

Does anyone know the O.D. of an ICON upright tube? Is it the same as the standard Gibraltar rack tubes? Possibly smaller, like the Yamaha racks?

Any insight would be much appreciated...thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Gibraltar clampon an ICON leg?

I also have an ICON rack, and just recently bought a Gibraltar SC-RBA clamp for it. This is the Gibraltar version of the Pearl PCL-100 clamp that secures to the top of the post to let you attach a cymbal arm. The clamp is made to fit any 1 1/2" OD post, and it fit my ICON perfectly. I'm sure the Gibraltar clamp you refer to will fit in your application as well. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Silver Member

Wow, I needed to know this too... thanks for responding with a part number!!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Glad to help. I actually prefer the Gibraltar clamp to the Pearl, since the Gibraltar part attaches to the post with two standard drum key screws, while the Pearl needs an Allen wrench. I'm sure both are equally secure, but I like the fact that, should it begin to loosen, I'm always going to have a drum key available, whereas I might not have an Allen wrench. Just don't crank down too tightly on those drum keys, or you're likely to dent those posts.