DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Cleaning black coated bass reso head

I have a Mapex set, the reso head is black with the Mapex emblem, I want to clean them but I don't want to use something that may ruin the head, or take the emblem off.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cleaning black coated bass reso head

On my Black heads I used Windex sprayed on a clean cotton cloth (not on the head), and a dry cloth to get anything left behind off.

I don't think a small bit of Windex will harm the printed emblem.

You only need a small amount, and if you're worried, just go around it.

Sometimes just a clean dry cloth will get the marks off too, but just a little window cleaner on the cloth always worked great for me.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Dust particles can and will scratch the shiny black finish, you can't buff-out mylar like a top coat on a drum finish, mylar is too soft.

Thoes tiny 'micro fine' scratches you see on a black head are from synthetic particles, dust- dirt that's been brushed on the surface like sandpaper when you wipe. Hold the head upside down and beat on it from the back, this along with gravity will release some of the heavier, potentially damaging particles. The idea behind a liquid is to suspend the particles in solution so they don't come in contact with the mylar when wiping and thus abrazing.

So, in theory, you want a heavy(ier) solution like Armor-All type stuff. Windex is mostly water and scratching can easily occur. If you use Windex (water) do the same inverted method, spray, invert and tap. Let gravity pull particles away from head, don't trisk-it by wiping/micro-sanding the particles away. Always use a 100% soft-cotton cloth, no polyester or poly-blend when wiping. Remember, rag will increasingly become loaded with particles and scratch like a piece of sandpaper.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 PM

I use a damp 100% soft cotton cloth, damp, with dish soap and water. Wipe away, then go over it with a dry 100% soft cotton cloth. Good as new.

Windex is not good on heads. Period. No matter how little or how much, it's main ingredient is ammonia. Plastics such as polyester, which drum heads are, can cloud and become brittle quicker because of ammonia.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietysSorrow View Post
I use a damp 100% soft cotton cloth, damp, with dish soap and water. Wipe away, then go over it with a dry 100% soft cotton cloth. Good as new.

Windex is not good on heads. Period. No matter how little or how much, it's main ingredient is ammonia. Plastics such as polyester, which drum heads are, can cloud and become brittle quicker because of ammonia.
Windex is like a 'half of one percent' ammonia and then not-even full-strength ammonia. Its on for such a short period its pretty inconsiquential as far as mylar destruction. Its the other 'base' ingredients in Windex (along with any other alkaline cleaning products) that can harm polyester.

Sodium hydroxide is just as harmful when used on plastics. Soaps (dish) are alkaline and will fade colour and polyester. Windex good on hardware. Armor-All type stuff good on heads.

If you use Windex in your house, cut it with equal parts water, it'll still be effective and it will last longer.