DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-10-2008, 02:43 AM

Default Need Drum Head Suggestions for New Set

Hey Guys I'm New here and have had a few questions,

I'm not very good on deceiding on drum heads for my new set which will be
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...subsearch=true

By the way i play anything from Classic Rock, To MEtal, ANd hip hop if i feel the need SO if that helps,

IN the way of Heads I thinking of this

Snare:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=442106

Bass Drum: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=449350

Rack Tom:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=440280

And for my floor toms : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=447850

Now i Had Heard things abut other evans I just would really appreciate feedback on this
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Need Drum Head Suggestions for New Set

if you are playing such diverse styles of music id suggest ambassadors or G1's top and bottom.
either clear or coated.

same with the snare.

if you wanted something a little more durable try emporers or G2s or other equivalent

ive heard good stuff about the SK2
so i think you cant go wrong there.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 AM

You can't go wrong with SK2!!! Get the regulator hole on outside too!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Pioneer Member

I have never like the SKII heads for anything. Your best bet for the diverse styles you are going to be playing is in a single ply with a muffling ring - like a Remo Powerstroke 3, with Harry Conway's method of felt strips.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 06-12-2008, 02:01 AM

I would recommend getting a genera g2 coated for the snare. Sounds good with everything including brushes. I use a moongel on mine which are like a sticky hand that you get out of a 50 cent machine to dampen over tones for a sharp sound.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Platinum Member

The EMAD2 head would work better for you. It's the perfect head for Hip Hop and Metal. Can't go wrong with G1's for the bottom, but I'm not so sure on a coated for the rack, and a clear for the floor. Try a G2 coated, or a G1 coated.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 PM

I use g2's over the Genera resonant glass on my maple Gretsch kit and the sound is incredible!!!!!

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 PM

Ok, snare and kick drum selections seem sensible.
You can't go wrong with a coated amb for snare, and i'v heard good things about the SKII.

However, evans hydraulics on the rack toms are very dead sounding, and are not for every style of music. Also, the EC2's on the floor toms would have a lot more tone, and might not fit with the dead sound from the toms.

My suggestion would be clear G2's on the rack toms, and the EC2's on floor toms, as these would compliment each other well. EC2's are like G2's but just slightly more warm sounding (good for the fat growl of a floor tom)
Old 06-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Administrator

I think all Gretsch come with Evans heads, I think maybe G1 over G1. You may want to wait until you get them, tune them well and see what you have.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:12 PM

I personally do not have anything against the SK2, I currently have one on my 24", and I enjoy it, but I am going to be switching to an Evans EQ3. It just sounds better to my ears. The more experienced I get, the less I like pre-muffled heads. Your snare head choice is a pretty good one. If you are pretty picky about the appearance of your set, there is a big chance the coating on that ambassador is going to chip off pretty quickly, although it won't change the sound.For the toms, I would suggest clear 2 ply heads for the batter, and a clear 1 ply head for the reso, whether it may be remo, evans, aquarian, etc. And i would not suggest muffling the toms, because while you are playing with a band, the overtones will blend in with the mix of the music. Otherwise, the audience will think you are playing with cardboard heads. But if you absolutely need to put some sort of muffle on your toms, buy a thing of moon-gels.

Just a couple of cents of mine.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

I wouldn't get such heavily muffled heads for the bass drum or the rack tom if you're ever going to play out unmiked. Those drums will simply never be heard.

If you want livelier heads for playing out unmiked but find they drives you crazy in your practice space, throw some studio rings on at home. Best of both worlds.

Meanwhile, I'd bet several guys may have had opinions worth hearing, but didn't want to bother clicking five times on your links. You can just mention the products, most of us know what an Evans Hydraulic or an SKII is. Just saying.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 AM

Welcome to the forum!

For Snare I'd suggest a Coated one-ply with dot underneath. Plenty versatile and useful in harder-hitting applications like rock and metal. For the snare-side, a basic snare reso (Remo Ambassador Snare or Evans Hazy 300).

Personally I'd say using the same heads on the toms will get the best results. For what you seem to be looking for, I'd say Evans EC1 coated, Remo Vintage A, or Aquarian Super 2. And either a clear 1 ply (Remo Ambassador, Aquarian Classic Clear, Evans G1) or the Evans EC Reso for the resonant side.

And on bass... I'd suggest a muffled single ply (Evans EQ3, Remo PowerStroke 3, or Aquarian SK I - probably the SK I) with beater patch on the batter and and Evans EQ3 with Port hole on the reso.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Head selection would depend on what kind of sound your looking for, the type of music your playing and if you are playing in a situation where your drums will be miked. I play in a progressive rock band and my drums are miked for all of our gigs.I just replaced all of my drums heads for our last gig (top and bottom) and I can tell you that this head combination I am using now gives my Yamaha Stage Custom a concert arena sound ! I have had numerous complements and many drummers asking me how I have achieved this huge sound.

Bass Drum : Evans Emad Clear Batter and Black Resonant with hole ,I am using the larger muffling ring of the 2 that are provided with the head pack. You will no longer have to shove a pillow or blanket in your bass drum. Incredible wet punchy sound and easy to tune (tune it just passed getting the wrinkles out,both sides) sounds unbelievable miked or not with no nasty over tones or unwanted ring coming from the drum.

Toms: Evans Clear EC2 Batter and Evans Clear Resonant on the bottoms,I use a G1 clear on the bottom of my floor tom only,it gives it a killer warm low growl with the slightly thicker head on the bottom of the floor tom. With the new Evans EC2 you wont have to use any moon gel or zero rings anymore. my sound man loves them,the drums are close miked and we don't evan have to gate the toms,plenty of projection,full attack very warm and the drum sings beautifully without those nasty overtones.

Snare: Evans HD Dry on the batter side and Evans Hazy 300 on the bottom. The HD Dry batter head has an overtone control ring underneath the head and vent holes on the batter side,this head Rocks!,you can crank it and its very durable too,again no need for zero rings tape or moon gel you can tune it low for a fatter sound or really crank it up which i do.The hazy 300 on the bottom snare side is the most versatile snare side head its really crisp and holds up very well evan cranked up real tight.My Snare Cracks through the room and projects all the way to the back of the house,sounds great live miked or not and the rim shots are incredible sounding.

Now with all this being said its very important that you learn tune your drums correctly. all of the lugs top and bottom of each drum need to be tuned to the same note, pitch or octave to achieve a clear clean tone and let the drum sing in its natural tone according to the size of the drum.you don't want to choke the drum or leave a lug to lose to were you have wrinkles in the head. Tune both heads the same top and bottom, when you hear the drum start to sing that is usually the best way to know when you have achieved the correct tone of the drum.Don't choke the bottom head and no wrinkles on the top head all evenly tuned lugs around the whole drum. If you haven't seen this yet Bob Gatzen has some great You tube videos on tuning drums here is a link check it out. http://youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1O...eature=related

I hope this post has helped yourself and any drummers out there that have questions I have benn playing drums for 25 years and would like to share any tips or info that I have accumulated over the years to my fellow drum brothers,you can always email me if you would like to elaborate further or have any other questions. Good Luck and keep Rocking!!!

stevedirocco@gmail.com

Last edited by Steve DiRocco; 06-17-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 PM

If you want to play a wide range, you want your sound to be versatile.

Might I suggest:

Toms

Batter: Evans Clear G2
Resonant: Evans Clear G1

Bass

Batter: Evans Clear EQ4
Resonant: Evans EQ3 Resonant Black

Snare

Batter: Evans Power Center Reverse Dot
Resonant: Evans Hazy 300
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemplativedrummer View Post

And on bass... I'd suggest a muffled single ply (Evans EQ3, Remo PowerStroke 3, or Aquarian SK I - probably the SK I) with beater patch on the batter and and Evans EQ3 with Port hole on the reso.
The Evans EQ3 batter is a 2 ply 6.5mil + 6.5mil head with a fixed ring and a removable ring.

The Evans EQ4 is a 10mil 1 ply head similar to the Powerstroke 3 or Aquarian SK1 in terms of the film thickness.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:12 PM

Thank You All For the Feed Back I appreciate it Deeply

Thx to you guys i was thinking this would be better (also based on reviews from the site i Found them on)

Floor Tom:

Batter-Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear
Res-Evans Clear Resonant (any other suggestions?)

Snare:

Batter-Remo Weather King Ambassador Coated Head
Res-Remo Diplomat Snare Side Head (how do i switch out a snare side head?)

Rack Tom-

Batter-Evans EC2 Coated Batter Head
Res-Evans Genera Resonant Clear Drumhead

Bass Drum:

Batter-Evans EMAD 2 Clear Batter Head(Does anyone know where to find a 26 incher?)
Res-Evans EMAD Resonant Bass Drumhead
Old 06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
lewisn27

sounds good but i have a tip for you, don't use as many links in you posts. im sure everyone will know what you mean with out a picture.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

coated ambassadors top & bottom of every drum, except for the snare side which is a regular snare side ambassador. Muffle as needed.

If you can't get the sound you want from that, go home and start learning guitar
Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastershake16 View Post
Thank You All For the Feed Back I appreciate it Deeply

Thx to you guys i was thinking this would be better (also based on reviews from the site i Found them on)

Floor Tom:

Batter-Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear
Res-Evans Clear Resonant (any other suggestions?)

Snare:

Batter-Remo Weather King Ambassador Coated Head
Res-Remo Diplomat Snare Side Head (how do i switch out a snare side head?)

Rack Tom-

Batter-Evans EC2 Coated Batter Head
Res-Evans Genera Resonant Clear Drumhead

Bass Drum:

Batter-Evans EMAD 2 Clear Batter Head(Does anyone know where to find a 26 incher?)
Res-Evans EMAD Resonant Bass Drumhead
Evans doesn't make the EMAD, EMAD2, or REMAD in 26"
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 AM

Damnit, im gonna have to try to get teh kit with a 24" then or should i just use a different ead because if i get the set with the 26" its only 350$ new but a 24" owuld be alot more
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastershake16 View Post
Damnit, im gonna have to try to get teh kit with a 24" then or should i just use a different ead because if i get the set with the 26" its only 350$ new but a 24" owuld be alot more
EMAD's are great heads, but I find the classic EQ series to offer enough in terms of custom tailored bass sounds. Personally, I like the EQ3 6.5 + 6.5mil 2 ply head with a fixed muffle ring and removable muffle ring. It is nice and controlled, great punch, and helps tame 24" and 26" drums.

EQ4's are also great. They are a 10mil 1 ply head with a fixed muffle ring. They have a nice attack, great bottom end, and have a really wide tuning range, which is key on 24" and 26" bass drums. They need to be tuned higher than other drums to get some feel and real tone out of the drum.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:50 PM

i really like a big like intestine killing punch in my bass drum which one would give me the loudest hit (and im going to be playing on this http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...subsearch=true)
Old 06-23-2008, 04:19 AM

Well for the snare I think an ST or ST Dry would work better for all the styles you say your going to be playin.

The Aquarian is a good bass drum head I have no problem with it, but I use and EMAD2 kick head.

The Hydraulics on the racks will give you the seventies punchy, wet, classic rock sound, but I think Evans G2 coated could be tuned to suit all the styles you said youd be playing.

The Evans G2 coated can work for the floor toms also