DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Silver Member

Default Any positive band stories?

I've been reading a lot of band stories and they all seem to be negative. Have any of y'all found a great group of guys/gals that all just perfectly mesh together?

Here's a positive.

About 3 years ago I started drumming in my church's youth band. My band's awesome members included:

My youth minister playing acoustic guitar and vocals
My awesome big brother playing guitar and sometimes bass
Two other guitarists that would rotate in and out but the chemistry never stopped
A keyboard player (who would drum if I couldn't be there)
About 2-3 girl singers every week.

Now the band members have changed, but the chemistry never really stopped.

I love playing with this band.

...So post your positive band stories now!!!

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Any positive band stories?

A few months ago I got together with a guitarist and bass player who I meshed with immediately and we were very positive about continuing. Unfortunately the guitarist stopped contacting me....ok so that's not a positive one really.

I had a bass player email me who sent me some MP3's of songs that him and his guitar playing brother in-law recorded. I overdubbed some drums and sent them back and even though we hadn't played together yet, I knew we were on the same page musically. The guitarist got into a bad car accident and the bass player hasn't really been writing me and has made no mention of getting together in person...ok I guess that's not a positive one either.

...Ok there is a bass player who is in a band I auditioned for, but didn't get into. He lives a few houses down from me. Him, myself, and one of the guitar players jams on a pretty weekly basis doing some cover tunes, or 20 minute jams that can go anywhere. We might not click as much as the other two scenarios, but we have a lot of fun doing it.

Ok that's a positive one :)
Old 12-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Pioneer Member

I did a jam at Matt and Phreds jazz club in Manchester, which is a real big venue in the North West (in the UK) for jazz. Anyway, in all modesty I have to say I played really well with some big cats as well, who really dug my playing and said I was very good. We did Impressions and Beautiful Love all of which sounded great. Got a gig at another club called the Cinnamon Club this weekend which is fairly big and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
I've been reading a lot of band stories and they all seem to be negative. Have any of y'all found a great group of guys/gals that all just perfectly mesh together?.....So post your positive band stories now!!!
Hey drummerchick!

I've been in many happy, healthy bands over the years.

I spent four years playing in a country band during the early 80's. The band was formed years before and all were good friends. When I joined, the band was not sure I would fit, being that I was a Rockin' Jazz/Fusion drummer. But, it worked just fine. I not only became part of the band, but part of their families.

I spend another 4 years playing in my last band, a Rocking Blues 5 piece. These guys blew me away at my audition. I knew in the first 30 minutes that I had found kindred spirits!...LOL! We played Clapton, ZZTop, Jeff Healy, the Allmans, Bo Didley, Chuck Berry, the Stones, the Kinks, etc....

What wonderful 4 years that was...I really miss those guys! *wipes tear from cheek*
Old 12-19-2007, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Well, my band mate and I have been playing together since we were in highschool... which was just over ten years ago. Him and I have fairly different styles and approaches to how we each write songs. Sometimes we butt heads, but honestly, most of the time it is really great. We've played together for so long we play off of each other really well- we know what to expect from each other. Back then we used to practice nearly every day after school. We played lots of local shows and many friend's parties. Nowadays we're lucky if we can meet up once a week. We had one gig this year... lol

We started recording some demos though, which has been teaching me a lot more about mixing. I
Old 12-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

I just started jamming with a new set of guys. They can't stop calling me amazing.

me being the modest mouse...i just nod and say "well i can do this but i can't do this as good, and i can definitely improve on this"

But they are very enthusiastic and want to play some shows. Which i like very much.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 AM
Silver Member

Ahh...now this is what I'm talking about!!! I'm feelin' the vibe, man!

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

The best musician I've ever played with was a total self- absorbed, mercenary jerk with the emotional range of a newt.

Everyone else I've ever played with has remained a friend, whos' families I have gotten to know. My current guitar player is also my younger son's guitar teacher
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Pioneer Member

My band right now....I can't ask for anyone else. Everyone is committed beyond belief, we've been playing for only 2 months now and there are so many promotion agencies that are trying to sign us to their roster. It's going great. We've wrote 10 strong quality songs and have the foundations to 4 other songs. And it's the style that I want. Rock/Blues/Funk. Mix of John Mayer, Chilis, Led Zepplin, and Incubus. We've played two BOTB. The first one, we've only been together for 1 and a half weeks and we finished 3rd. The second time we played, we were together as a band for 1 and a half months and we won. We beat out 13 other bands, one of which we together for 3 or 4 years. This band is going places, and i've never felt better.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
The best musician I've ever played with was a total self- absorbed, mercenary jerk with the emotional range of a newt.
Can we get a name? ;-)
Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM

i have been in the same band for the last three years there also my best friends we all met three years ago at a talent show we were all in differnt bands at the time but we all got on so well we left our other bands and have been playing ever since
Old 12-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

I have jammed with quite a few people in my year of experience, but just recently I hooked up with a bass player and guitarist who are both really hard working, upstanding guys with nothing but music on their minds. it's been going SO well, we're hoping to have some stuff together after Christmas break! I'm really excited!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

My 2 band mates are my 2 best friends. Known them both for over 7 years. We all have the same vision and goals for our band with the same influences. We really bounce of each other well its fantastic.

Also what I love is that we are making music that I want to listen to. I always like to think that if I wasn't in the band i'd be a massive fan. I don't really know a band that sounds like us and its our kind of music so i'm really passionate about the songs we make. Gigs are great fun I just wish we had more of them!

Oh and my guitarist keeps me company on the long train rides to Wembely Drum Center :).
Old 12-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

My life has been one big positive band story ever since I started studying music full time three and a half years ago. To cut a long story short, I've been privileged to always play with people that are way more experienced and better players than me, which has kept me motivated, challenged and very busy indeed...
Old 12-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Well, my old band.. We had too drive 12miles for a gig.. The car broke down, a tired got broken, it was a hurricane near us and our bassist had a the worst fever ever..

BUT! We played the best consert ever, and had the best time ever.. aahh, memories..
Old 12-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

I'm in a band and I totally get the chicks, on account of being awesome.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
I'm in a band and I totally get the chicks, on account of being awesome.
Can I join the band? hehe..
Old 12-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

You know somethings positive when the band asks you to do a drum solo.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:33 AM
Gold Member

Perhaps on a slightly different tangent...

My band opened for Deep Purple a few years back and the guys in Purple were very nice to us, which to be honest I wasnt expecting. I was able to film Paice's kit during setup. The band wished us luck as we went onstage to open. Ian Gillen even suggested we "Just go out there and play as long as you want" - Which was of course impossible but it really helped our performance knowing that we were opening for a cool bunch of human beings who obviously remembered what its like to be a struggling band!