DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-07-2008, 12:09 AM

Default Remo Powerstroke 3

What's the difference between the clear, smooth white and coated Powerstroke3 ?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3

Remo (and a lot of other people) would say, of most all heads (not just P3) that a "clear" head will give you the brightest sound, the "coated" head will give you a warmer, or darker tone, and the "smooth white" will fall somewhere in between.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Yes, though a coated head will have a sharper attack and smoother decay, while a clear head will have a smoother attack and sharper (= high pitched) decay. The coating removes some high overtones but needs to be tuned higher to open up. That's the reason why kicks usually have a clear batter, because you want them to be tuned as low as possible (except for jazz) and you muffle them internally anyway. Snares, being tuned high, have coated heads because a clear head under such high tension would cut too sharply (up to the point of pain).
Old 06-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Powerstroke 3s have a built in muffling strip attached to the outer circumference. Fatter tone, less touch sensitive. Hit and miss as to whether the coating will start coming off after a day.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJazz View Post
Yes, though a coated head will have a sharper attack and smoother decay, while a clear head will have a smoother attack and sharper (= high pitched) decay. The coating removes some high overtones but needs to be tuned higher to open up. That's the reason why kicks usually have a clear batter, because you want them to be tuned as low as possible (except for jazz) and you muffle them internally anyway. Snares, being tuned high, have coated heads because a clear head under such high tension would cut too sharply (up to the point of pain).
Do you think there is no need to muffle internally a powerstroke? Can't we get the same result with an Ambassador muffled (with a small pillow for exemple) as both heads are made of one 7mm ply?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem36 View Post
Do you think there is no need to muffle internally a powerstroke? Can't we get the same result with an Ambassador muffled (with a small pillow for exemple) as both heads are made of one 7mm ply?
I assume you're speaking about the kick. The more you muffle the heads (both sides!), the less you need to muffle internally, thus keeping more volume. The more stuffed your kick is, the quieter it will be.

Speaking about toms and snare, most annoying ring comes from the edges. The most efficient way to dampen those overtones is with a ring touching the edges, like a PS3. A 2ply head will not only change (for the worse) the stick feel, but it will have more high overtones present. PS3 has the advantage of cutting most high overtones but keeping the feel of a single head and still being resonant.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 PM

Thanks for your reply. I think I will go for a clear PS3 (bass drum batter head) but I will keep my Ambassador reso head (with Ludwig logo). Maybe I could put a felt stripe on the reso head to dampen it if it needs to?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

I run a clear PS3 with falam slam on my kick's batter and a standard Gretsch coated white reso. For my purposes on my 16x22 a small pillow stuffed between the pedal and the batter head is enough dampening and can be adjusted. Really I should get some internal dampening but I like being able to adjust dampening from the outside. Experiment with tunings and when you find a sound you like use dampening to keep it under control or get rid of those overtones.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I think I will go for a clear PS3 (bass drum batter head) but I will keep my Ambassador reso head (with Ludwig logo). Maybe I could put a felt stripe on the reso head to dampen it if it needs to?
Sure, you don't need to spend money on a new head. You might wanna try a self muted head when the current one wears out.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 AM

not to hijack this thread or anything...

but with all these ps3/ ps4 threads ive been wondering.

are they equivalent to Evans EC1/ EC2?

has anyone compared them?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentnoise View Post
not to hijack this thread or anything...

but with all these ps3/ ps4 threads ive been wondering.

are they equivalent to Evans EC1/ EC2?

has anyone compared them?
Yea, pretty much.. although I think the Evans heads are thinner ply.. could be wrong.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
Yea, pretty much.. although I think the Evans heads are thinner ply.. could be wrong.
P3 is an ambassador (10mil single ply) with a muffling ring, while the EC1 is thicker (14mil single ply with muffling device on it. P4 is an emperor (14mil double ply; two 7mil plies).

Also, Evans uses a different coating, I think they call it "frosting" on their EC heads.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That should do you just fine. Felt strips are very versatile, you can use a short piece across the edge of the head or a longer piece more towards the middle. I love PS3s on bass drums, and I find I don't need more muffling when playing unmiked. For miked you can add an Evans EQ pad or a rolled up towel or two. IMO it's handy to be able to easily remove muffling when desired.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
That should do you just fine. Felt strips are very versatile, you can use a short piece across the edge of the head or a longer piece more towards the middle.
Personally, I don't like to use felt strips, since they interfere with the head and the bearing edge, making tuning more difficult. A rolled towel resting against the head is pretty much all I need.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:29 AM

The felt strip is on the reso head (Ambassador with no hole) and I finally went for a clear PS3 (batter) with no muffling. Seems to be a great combo! I'll play an unmicked gig next saturday and I'll let you know how it sound with my other bandmates.