DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Chad Smith

Dani California is so friggin catchy. i'll find myself singing the chorus without even knowing it. I love the song.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:23 AM

I like their older stuff a little more also, but I still like the newer songs. And yeah, I like Dani California.

I believe they have just shifted through styles. Still though, Chad is awesome... He plays with spirit... and that's important. I mean you can play a straight rock beat, but once you're into it, it's fine to me...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:35 AM

Yeah Dani California is awesome! I listened to it about 5 times in a row, and it got stuck in my head for about a week.
For those of you for reckon Chad Smith is robotic, listen to LIVE IN HYDE PARK, expecially disk 2. It's one of my favourite albums. oooooh yeah
Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbash
Yeah Dani California is awesome! I listened to it about 5 times in a row, and it got stuck in my head for about a week.
For those of you for reckon Chad Smith is robotic, listen to LIVE IN HYDE PARK, expecially disk 2. It's one of my favourite albums. oooooh yeah

Yeah i got that i love his playing on that,iv damaged so many things by just tapping along to that album (sorry mum,i admit .....it was me).Imo he is one of the best drummers in the world,soooooooo funky and with bags of character.I have learned alot from listening to his playing.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Pioneer Member

I was so excited to see him on the cover of MD June. A great interview with him in there. MAY 7TH OR 9TH!?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I like Chad Smith. Flea and him are a perfect bass-drummer pair. He knows how to flow thru the song.

Thats pretty dam true
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 AM

For that guy who talked about john frusciante's solo stuff, see if you can get a copy of the song "Enter An Uh"....
I wanna be like that when I grow up.... :D
Old 05-01-2006, 04:55 PM

all i can say is that chad smith is a good drummer and he has got his own style. but what i think is every drummer has there own style
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Pioneer Member

thats true. they played a 30 min set on TOTP yesterday on TV. that was good, chad was playing very well, restraining himself during songs, without mimicking the records, and then going nuts on any big finishes. the way rock drummers should be.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:47 PM

I totally rate Chad's playing. His groove (as you have all said) is awesome, so laid back and funky.

I have LOVED the Chili's since I first heard Mother Milk, the earlier stuff with Jack Irons on is also awesome. Chad was such a huge early influence on my playing.

I do have one beef though...the new Chili's stuff i.e. from Californication onwards, it's pretty tame. They seem to have almost completely lost the funk. This new song 'Dani Californication' or whatever, it pains me to listen to it. Had I heard this from some other band I would think it's ok BUT to know what the Chili's can do, it seems such a shame. I know they can't keep playing the same kind of stuff over and over, but it's all a bit dull in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
I do have one beef though...the new Chili's stuff i.e. from Californication onwards, it's pretty tame. They seem to have almost completely lost the funk. This new song 'Dani Californication' or whatever, it pains me to listen to it. Had I heard this from some other band I would think it's ok BUT to know what the Chili's can do, it seems such a shame. I know they can't keep playing the same kind of stuff over and over, but it's all a bit dull in my opinion.
I'm afraid I have to agree with you... What happened to the Chili style that everybody loved? I guess the new stuff is selling 1000 times more and it's a very good job, but I can't help missing the Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic style.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Pioneer Member

Ok i heard like 5 songs on their new album....... I;m not too impressed. Their is some funky songs that can be compared to the mothers milk and BSSM, but I think they've ran out of ideas.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:05 PM

yeah i don't like that song dani californacation or wateva it is cause i think its a bit boring .it some cheesy song aswell.but i like the chili's though the old stuff is better i think anyway.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 PM

I don't really dig that Dani California song that much either except the ending is pretty sweet. other than that it's pretty basic and uninspiring. I think the Chilli peppers need to branch out a bit more with their music. Their older stuff was way better, IMO. Oh and how many songs have they made that are about california? We get it, you're from california.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
im not into his playing

there is a difference between playing what the song needs and being utterly forgetable. thats the way i feel towards him. its more like a robot playing for alot of thier songs. ive seen live solo footage and some jam footage and was like "where the hell did that come from!!", i was very impressed. so i think he showed too much restraint during songs, too much for my liking. after one hot minute i stopped listening altogether. blood sugar sex magic and mothers milk are the good releases, everything else, ill pass

on a sidenote John frusiante' older solo stuff is amazing, first 2 albums
I really don't agree with this. I agree that there's a difference between the two...but when you listen to a RHCP song (doesn't matter which one), you just get pulled into the groove by chad, even though he's not playing anything fancy.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
I'm afraid I have to agree with you... What happened to the Chili style that everybody loved? I guess the new stuff is selling 1000 times more and it's a very good job, but I can't help missing the Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic style.
They grew up :)...

Would you play and make the same music for 20 years?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
They grew up :)...

Would you play and make the same music for 20 years?
I guess I wouldn't, but you have to understand that the people that liked their first stuff don't like it anymore (at least I don't). I don't have that feeling I used to have anymore...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
I guess I wouldn't, but you have to understand that the people that liked their first stuff don't like it anymore (at least I don't). I don't have that feeling I used to have anymore...
Sure, i understand that completely.

You're right, their music has changed a lot over the years.

Me, i like pretty much all of their music.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubotic
I don't really dig that Dani California song that much either except the ending is pretty sweet. other than that it's pretty basic and uninspiring. I think the Chilli peppers need to branch out a bit more with their music. Their older stuff was way better, IMO. Oh and how many songs have they made that are about california? We get it, you're from california.
yea they are OBSESSED with california, it cracks me up every time i hear one of their songs with a california refrence in it--i just say to myself "are they seriously still singing about that damn state"
Old 05-10-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
yea they are OBSESSED with california, it cracks me up every time i hear one of their songs with a california refrence in it--i just say to myself "are they seriously still singing about that damn state"
lol yeah thats true, california this that ...

Even so .. Chad is a great grooves performance. I really like the way he plays. RHCP with out Chad would'nt sound the same.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindEveryNotes
lol yeah thats true, california this that ...

Even so .. Chad is a great grooves performance. I really like the way he plays. RHCP with out Chad would'nt sound the same.
yea definitly, chad has a great sound, groove master
Old 05-11-2006, 01:01 AM

this is kinda off topic but has anyone noticed the resemblance between Chad smith and Will Ferrel they look like they could be brothers. and i cant wait till rhcp go on tour in september, they are the greatest band alive
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Pioneer Member

i think that was mentioned earlier with pics and everything. i must say, dani california seems like one of their heaviest songs yet.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
i think that was mentioned earlier with pics and everything. i must say, dani california seems like one of their heaviest songs yet.
Nahh, not one of their heaviest.

They have made heavier songs on previous cd's.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

no, not their heaviest in the least. very poppy. very good too, but check out their older

stuff and you'll see how heavy they can get.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:20 PM

When I first heard Dani California, I was dissapointed, because my jaw didn't really drop like I wanted it to... However, it grew on me, and now I love it. I was watching this concert of theirs. Live in Paris I think, and they played quite a few of their new songs.... I gotta say I love them... I like it more than Californication, and maybe more than By the Way too. And the energy when they were playing was just so amazing... I mean, they were all connecting so well with each other, and it showed so much in the way they played. It was so energetic, and real.

Don't get me wrong by the way, I love their older stuff, but this is just a difference in style, and I love the change.

Hata off to Anthony, Flea, John, and Chad.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:23 PM

He's the perfect guy for a band like RHCP.....excellent groove and sense of humor / stage presence. It's a pleasure to see him perform live.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
get his DVD it is hilarious. he is such a skater dude. but then he sits down and the power is all there.

j
yeah that video is entertaining I loved it for the fun and also for one or two grooves he spits out whcih are pretty interesting.

for people who say he doesn't have technique or is not that fast (of course if you don't compare him with drummers like Weckl, Gadd etc for technique and Sandoval etc for speed), but when he gives a shot on his warm-up in his video through flams, doubles etc I think there's some perfromance, we shouldn't underestimate his technical/speed abilities
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dry_water
When I first heard Dani California, I was dissapointed, because my jaw didn't really drop like I wanted it to... However, it grew on me, and now I love it. I was watching this concert of theirs. Live in Paris I think, and they played quite a few of their new songs.... I gotta say I love them... I like it more than Californication, and maybe more than By the Way too. And the energy when they were playing was just so amazing... I mean, they were all connecting so well with each other, and it showed so much in the way they played. It was so energetic, and real.

Don't get me wrong by the way, I love their older stuff, but this is just a difference in style, and I love the change.

Hata off to Anthony, Flea, John, and Chad.
Yeah, in their live shows, they always have huge chemistry between them.

Gotta love the solo's between john and flea...
Old 05-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter
no, not their heaviest in the least. very poppy. very good too, but check out their older

stuff and you'll see how heavy they can get.
i have some of their older stuff, but i'm not a huge chillis expert if i'm honest. the chorus certainly seems like the heaviest i've heard from a chillis single. even "give it away" seems sparse in comparison.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
i have some of their older stuff, but i'm not a huge chillis expert if i'm honest. the chorus certainly seems like the heaviest i've heard from a chillis single. even "give it away" seems sparse in comparison.
Give it away isn't really a 'heavy' song, it's extremely funky though.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 PM

Stone Cold Bush and Subway to Venus are awesome tunes. Lots more funky grooves on Mother's Milk. A younger, more punky Chad. Not too punky though really.

After Mother's Milk Chad just kept getting funkier and more laid back with his grooves. I'm thinking Mellowship Slinky in B Major, My Lovely Man, The Righteous and the Wicked etc, then stuff like Suck my Kiss and Walkabout. Now that's what I call Chadtastic. You gotta love him. I think the rest of the band have just gone a bit too poppy now. Chad's still the funk, but he is being restrained by the poorer songs.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 PM

So...now that Stadium Arcadium is out.... What is everyone's opinion of it?

Personally I loved it from 1st listen. I'm a big chilis fan - my whole band loves em. They write kick arse songs, and some of my favourite to play. I was dissapointed by By The Way but Stadium Arcadium has a much better feel to it. Yeah they are bringin some funk back, but thier soft stuff i reckon has much more feeling than By The Way.....Anyway I'm really liken it atm. Everyone else?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:49 AM

Chad is a great drummer!

And...

After reading the posts in this thread I noticed something I find bit strange...

People compare Chad' technique with Vinnie's and Dave's...

Don't forget that it is the SOUND that defines the technique. NOT the speed! And one have to admit that Chad's sound is HUUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEEEE!!!! And that Dave's sound is SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 AM

Everyone has the right to an opinon and thats what makes us individuals. Its all about perspective and thats what makes life. Chad smith has a brilliant perspective on the way drumming should be in his genera of music( even though there is very few bands who fit into this) i love playing to the chili peppers because it puts me in a good mood, but i will say that he isnt too technical but after all it might mess up the great music the others have put together if he were to make his drumming alot more bad ass.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:53 AM

After Modern Drummer 05 I thought he was way over-rated. I mean everything he does isn't that impressive.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:18 PM

chad smith is one of my favorite groove masters. i love Stadium Arcadium. some of the great drum tracks, and great tracks in general, on it are "Readymade" "Charlie" "Warlocks" and "Hard to Concentrate"
Old 06-10-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrazy
After Modern Drummer 05 I thought he was way over-rated. I mean everything he does isn't that impressive.
I'm sorry, but that post is idiotic. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but that's my opinion. Drums were never created as a way to impress people. They're a musical istrument. If there's anything Chad does extremely well, it's making a song feel good. Every Chili Peppers song I've heard has a DYNAMITE feel to it. No wonder he's working with artists like Glenn Hughes and the Dixie Chicks. Chad is starting to become a pretty in-demand studio musician.

How could you base your judgement on Chad by what he did at the MD Fest? He went out there, to entertain people and have a good time, and I'll tell you, Ian and him were the most entertaining act of them all.

Chad is a musician. not a drummer. He plays for the song. Sure, there's guys out there that can play rings around Chad, but saying that he's not impressive is almost laughable. Have you ever seen him in clinic? Have you ever gone to a Chili Pepper's show? Obviously not, because your opinion would be different.

I find it ironic that people worship Bonham, but seem to overlook Chad's talent. No disrespect to Bonham, he was a key figure in drum history, but I believe Chad is too.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrazy

pinky=yes he is impressive and anyway he wears cool hats AND plays AWESOME drums!!!!!

pinky xx
Old 06-10-2006, 08:02 PM

I'm not sure wearing cool hats has anything to do with anything, but i agree with you. he plays AWESOME drums.

i found Stadium Arcadium to be a little disappointing. in some of the ballady stuff, chad's restrained to keep an ordinary beat throughout, and it's dull and unimaginative (She Looks To Me). but i have to say, some of the songs are REALLY funky and great. anyone who doesn't love Readymade should reconsider being a Chilis fan at all. Turn It Up Again's also great I think. I don't like Hard To Concentrate, it just sounds like any other pop song.

Chilis jamming at concert is brilliant. they can communicate by just playing their instruments.
i read the recent interview on Modern Drummer Magazine, and he sounds like a real humble guy compared to his status.

Who else likes Soul Mover?