DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Braas
Dislike... very much dislike....
why? he's a very powerfull funk drummer. he can play fast. he can play slow (a skill lost on many drummers today), loud soft. above all, he is one of the most tasteful drummers of all time. "soul to squeeze" is my favourite chillis song, cos all the instruments play the perfect part, drums included. (also, the singer is amazing in that song).
Old 12-31-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Chad Smith

Chad is a killer drummer but besides that, is it just me or does this guy look like Will Farrell?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
why? he's a very powerfull funk drummer. he can play fast. he can play slow (a skill lost on many drummers today), loud soft. above all, he is one of the most tasteful drummers of all time. "soul to squeeze" is my favourite chillis song, cos all the instruments play the perfect part, drums included. (also, the singer is amazing in that song).
Yeah.

Lots of new drummers are obsessed with getting as fast as possible.

I was once like that...And then i started focusing on grooving, and playing slower stuff...
Old 01-03-2006, 06:49 AM

Chad Smith is awesome. Mixes funk and rock perfectly. One of my favorites.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Stu_Strib

With nothing other than RHCP cd's to judge him, I'd say he's interesting and unique.

But I can't help feeling he was totally outclassed on the Modern Drummer Festival 2005 dvd (which isn't a bad thing, if you look at the huge amount of monster drummers on there).

My wife says he looks like Will Ferrel and Dennis Miller had a baby, LOL!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:29 PM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

For something different with Chad, check out :

Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover
Paul Finazzo - Tango's Blueberry Jam (available from www.cdbaby.com)

I don't like RHCP and am no fan of Chad as such. But I like his playing on both of the above albums.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent
For something different with Chad, check out :

Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover
Paul Finazzo - Tango's Blueberry Jam (available from www.cdbaby.com)

I don't like RHCP and am no fan of Chad as such. But I like his playing on both of the above albums.
Soul mover is a great cd... i love both glenns and chads playing.. and dave naveretto i think plays guitar..
Old 01-03-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
With nothing other than RHCP cd's to judge him, I'd say he's interesting and unique.

But I can't help feeling he was totally outclassed on the Modern Drummer Festival 2005 dvd (which isn't a bad thing, if you look at the huge amount of monster drummers on there).

My wife says he looks like Will Ferrel and Dennis Miller had a baby, LOL!
Yeah.

I especially love the older tracks by the Peppers, for instance BSSM...

He does some serious grooving on that album.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:21 AM

I love Chad Smith!!

This guy was my favourite drummer (and is now second, being usurped by the gaddmeister).
The man knows how to PLAY! his playing is so groovy and funky, and he's even better live. Ever heard live in hyde park? That is one sweet concert, although a bit more rocky than funky, because it's a concert, and that's how it should be.

I learnt how to GROOVE by listening to chad smith, he is my number one influence. Unfortunately i still haven't listened to the earlier albums.

One question, was Chad a pioneer? I mean did anyone else play funk rock before him?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbash
I love Chad Smith!!

This guy was my favourite drummer (and is now second, being usurped by the gaddmeister).
The man knows how to PLAY! his playing is so groovy and funky, and he's even better live. Ever heard live in hyde park? That is one sweet concert, although a bit more rocky than funky, because it's a concert, and that's how it should be.

I learnt how to GROOVE by listening to chad smith, he is my number one influence. Unfortunately i still haven't listened to the earlier albums.

One question, was Chad a pioneer? I mean did anyone else play funk rock before him?
You should definitely give BSSM a try, to me, it's their best album.

And i would find it strange if Chad was the first funk rock drummer :)
Old 01-06-2006, 06:30 AM

it says on the internet that chad holds the record for the largest kit at 308 pieces! i can't a picture of it though, so if anyone finds one, can i see it?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
da cheese walks

Chad Smith is an amazing drummer!!All you have to do is listen to early RHCP stuff an youll just be blown away.....one song that you have to hear its so insane and has some brilliant ghost notes and triplets throughout it is "Instrumental #1"...not hard drumming but the way it fits the bass line is incredible!so cool....hes one of the Funkiest drummers out there......class!but i do agree that the new RHCPs stuff is just losing its touch....they used to do stuff with such raw energy,but now theyve become pretty respectable mature guys...its just lost that insanity!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:16 PM

He has some killing grooves no doubt about that...
but the thing i like most about him is his feet work, just a great in-your-face base drum sounds.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:23 PM

I agree his druming fits with his great personality,he plays really well with flees crazy bass riffs and sets a good structure for the song,breaking the girl is a good example of this.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks
Chad Smith is an amazing drummer!!All you have to do is listen to early RHCP stuff an youll just be blown away.....one song that you have to hear its so insane and has some brilliant ghost notes and triplets throughout it is "Instrumental #1"...not hard drumming but the way it fits the bass line is incredible!so cool....hes one of the Funkiest drummers out there......class!but i do agree that the new RHCPs stuff is just losing its touch....they used to do stuff with such raw energy,but now theyve become pretty respectable mature guys...its just lost that insanity!!!
Well they have grown up too :)

It's normal that as they get older, they would want to try out a different approach to music. And i really like the Chili's nowadays, they still have great songs.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:00 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
Well they have grown up too :)

It's normal that as they get older, they would want to try out a different approach to music. And i really like the Chili's nowadays, they still have great songs.
Yeah your totally right....but i just cant help but find their new stuff a bit sterile,and without that amount of feeling they used have?Its still class music but not with that "Oomph" they used to give!!But thats just my opinion!

yeah i also agree that his bass work is class!!hes got a great sound out of his kit overall...!I mean i love his snare sound!!its tuned nice and tight but still has a brilliant sound....!
Old 01-11-2006, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

i think chad is awesome. it seems on their earlier stuff he would lay more down and have harder beats and stuff while on by the way and their later stuff he kinda matured i guess and leaves things open for craziness live.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks
Yeah your totally right....but i just cant help but find their new stuff a bit sterile,and without that amount of feeling they used have?Its still class music but not with that "Oomph" they used to give!!But thats just my opinion!

yeah i also agree that his bass work is class!!hes got a great sound out of his kit overall...!I mean i love his snare sound!!its tuned nice and tight but still has a brilliant sound....!
Yeah, i know what you mean...

They don't have the same funkiness in their music as they used to. But in some songs they still do, like Can't Stop, or Purple Stain,...
Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
NaturalRaz

As mentioned previously.....he and Flea are a fantastic team. Smith has some really great grooves that get your head bobbing. He's great to listen to live.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:47 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
Yeah, i know what you mean...

They don't have the same funkiness in their music as they used to. But in some songs they still do, like Can't Stop, or Purple Stain,...
yeah yeah i dig it....cant stop is a brilliant song....really nice drumming an i have to say the guitar solo is as tasteful as anything john frusciante ever does!!!I just find their songs have become more mainstream an sorts....i mean especially if you consider how "out there" they were!!!hahaha!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 PM

he's the only reason i listen to RHCP
Old 01-20-2006, 02:59 AM
da cheese walks

why he the only reason???

anthony keidis has a wonderful voice!!Flea is a bass master....John Frusciante an Hillel Slovak(RIP) are/were absolutley brilliant guitarists.....

the RHCP have a lot going for tehm!!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:59 AM

I love Chad Smith. He is my favorite drummer of all time. I've never heard him overplay a song. He sits right in the pocket every time, without fail. He doesn't show off during albums. I respect that, it takes a lot to control the overwhelming desire to just stick in whatever you feel would make the song cooler from your end. Its a very mature quality. He plays to the song and not to show off. His sense of time is unwavering and his foot work is fantastic. If you've ever seen him live you can see how locked in to the songs he is. Chili Peppers do some distracting things on stage. They have flaming helmets, light bulb heads, and sometimes play in the nude. All the while Chad plays as if nothing strange is happening. I think he's better than a lot of people give him credit for. I played to Californication and Blood Sugar and it improved my sense of timing tenfold. He does some crazy stuff with his beats. I highly recommend his instructional DVD. He doesn't sit down and instruct but you get to see him play some of the best RHCP songs and he plays the beats slower for you too. Chad Smith is a rock/funk/punk powerhouse.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

Fantastic performer and a top notch groover. Does what enjoys, and does it well. I saw him play with rhcp a few times, and more recently saw a drum clinic at the MusicLive event in the UK, he was very down-to-earth, but had certainly not lost his 'rock star' edge. I beleive there was reference to naked midgets as part of his pre-show warm up. =)
Old 01-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Pioneer Member

and he knows how to smile. few performers do nowadays.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:33 PM

chads a great drummer..not because he is technically gifted like vinnie and weckl etc..but he does his job,drives the band along and even better,looks like he is really enjoying it.....for sheer power and feel for funk/rock...he da man!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Senior Administrator

okay, i think chad rocks...don't get me wrong. he is the king of hard line funk and one of my huge influences...but he is nowhere near to weckl or vinnie. even he would say that.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Awwww god, Chad Smith is amazing. I've been a huge fan of his even before I started drumming. I play his signature Vater FunkBlasters right now, and I am definately investing in 10 more pairs. If there's any drummer's style I'd love to master, Chad would be on top of my list.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
he is nowhere near to weckl or vinnie. even he would say that.j
You cant really compare Chad to those two drummers. Totaly different genres of playing. I agree, he probably isnt close to weckl or vinnie, but he doesnt need to be. He is perfect for what he does. Throw down amazing fitting grooves where need be. I acutally think he has more "feel" than Weckl.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:01 PM

I've really dig Chad's playing. His technique is great and his feel is amazing. I think his best work is on Blood,Sugar, Sex Magic. He plays some very tasteful syncopated funky grooves that are SO funky that the stinch comes right out of the speakers.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Personally, I think Chad it great! Never overplays and always steady. Awesome groover along with Flea.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
okay, i think chad rocks...don't get me wrong. he is the king of hard line funk and one of my huge influences...but he is nowhere near to weckl or vinnie. even he would say that.

j
HA! This is too true. He's an awesome drummer and i love his style.....BUT..... nobody can say that he's as technical or skillful as Weckl......thats just insane.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:11 PM

Chad Smith is one drummer that I would love to emulate the most. His style and feel surpasses so many modern drummers. He's amazing.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:21 PM

Location: Scotland, in a kinda crappy town called Cowdenbeath (which is mentioned in salad fingers 7. lol)

Chad has always been among my faves, i have to say. He can be the funkiest guy on the planet, and he's just a cool person anyway. I kind of find it hard to define my opinion on his style now, dont get me wrong, as he said himself "not everything calls for fancy fills or sticking your chop in there 'cos it sounds good", but you sometimes wanna see him do something a little more elaborate, or try and be a little more creative.

He is a great time keeper and one funky guy, but i'd love it if he played to his funkiness a bit more.

Oh yeah and another thing. Dont you think its funny, having watched chad alot, that you'll like never hear him play a song exactly as the track is, he always improvises, do you think thats just him getting in the moment or that he's a bit lazy and doesnt learn his own parts? lol
Old 02-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Say what you will about Chad's technique, but the fact is that he is a great drummer. His FEEL is excellant, and most important, his time is outstanding. He does not use a click on their records! And he PLAYS FOR THE SONG! I would take his style of drumming with less chops ANY DAY over a guy who can't play a song and is only interested in being the fastest drummer in the world.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
HA! This is too true. He's an awesome drummer and i love his style.....BUT..... nobody can say that he's as technical or skillful as Weckl......thats just insane.
How many top 40 albums has Weckl played on? Thank you!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingenfelter Twin Turbo
I've said it a million times: there is no correlation between popularity and playing skill. Well, actually there is, but it's usually an inverse correlation ;-)

Last edited by Stu_Strib; 02-04-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Pioneer Member

the sad sad truth.
listening to some chilli peppers today, and i think chad is just a great drummer. he's so easy to like.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingenfelter Twin Turbo
No, thank you. What a good laugh that gave me.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I've said it a million times: there is no correlation between popularity and playing skill. Well, actually there is, but it's usually and inverse correlation ;-)
well, for session drummers, it's just a different thing altogether. how many top 40 albums has abe laboriel jr been on? vinnie? matt chamberlain? gadd? etc. etc.

chad smith is a solid drummer, does a great job for the chili peppers, and brings a lot to the group. don't get me wrong, i love the chili peppers, they've been one of my favorite bands for a long time and chad's a great drummer.

i don't believe chad is up to par with the likes of weckl as a technical innovator. weckl has pushed himself in so many ways to become the metronome that he is.

weckl also can't play pop and rock music. that's why he's not on any of those albums. so chad has a one-up on him there.

but - how many top 40 albums has meg white been on?

so my point: umm i forgot.