DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: My favorite sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by obama5493 View Post
The first sticks i bought were Dave Weckl Signatures got the brown lacquered one until i found out my hands sweat like a beast when i play.
Those were my first ones too! I loved them, but my hands sweated easily. Then I got CMN's (Big mistake....) then 5B's. Zildjian ofcourse ;)
Old 04-29-2011, 11:31 PM

I usually tend to use what works well for the gig. For the longest time, I was a huge fan of the Vic Firth Jojo Mayer signature sticks. With time, however, my playing style changed, and with that change, I found that the sticks were too short. Since then, I had switched to the Vic Firth AJ5 sticks, and I absolutely love them! Of course, most of what I am doing tends to be studying jazz, so I don't need big sticks.

For my rock music, I use anything that is close to or similar to the 3As.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Gold Member

I'm very partial to Regal 5B Maple. Considering Regal's troubles, does anyone know where I can pick some up?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 PM

I use the Christoph Schneider signature sticks by Vic Firth. I need a long thick stick that has mass, but not a lot of weight. I reccomend them to anyone with large hands or long fingers, which is somethin' I'm cursed with due to heredity.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 AM

I use the Vater Chad Smith Funk Blaster for the drumset, 2 minutes of holding these in the store made me switch from Vic Firth 5B. However when it comes to lessons I am sticking with Vic Firth and am using SD1 generals
Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM

I use a couple diffrent pairs based on the genre of music Im playing. I like the Zildjain Trilok Gurtu signature stick. It has a nice grip but breaks easily. I bought a 6 pair pack and now am dow to three individual sticks. I love the Pro-Mark 747 Neil Peart signature series, they feel great, and are made out of tough wood. They feel great while there in your hands. In addition, when practicing or when I need to play a softer beat, I use the Pro-Mark Lighting Rods. They are the middle weight of the Hot Rod series and are great.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Years ago, my stick choice was Pro-Mark 5B. I used them for many years until ProMark decided to totally change the size of some of their sticks.

When I talked to a Pro-Mark employee a few years ago, I asked why the 5B had suddenly grown a larger neck and bead. His response was that the younger players were breaking 5B sticks too easily, so they made them a little stouter. He did say that there is a 5C Charlie Adams model that is closer to the old 5B.

OK, maybe you see this one coming. I asked why Pro-Mark could not keep the old dimensions and designation of the 5B, and simply make a 5C that is thicker. This would make sense - the lettering system with A,B, & C would then fall into the correct succession with "A" being the lightest, "B" in the middle, and "C" being the heaviest. But alas no !!! This makes too much sense !! The Pro-Mark employee then told me that although they changed the thickness of the 5B, they wanted to keep the "B" designation because it is easy to remember. HUH !! DUH !!

Needless to say, Pro-Mark lost my business over this conversation.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
I'm very partial to Regal 5B Maple. Considering Regal's troubles, does anyone know where I can pick some up?
Just ordered and got 9 pair. That ought to last me through the week end. :-)
Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 AM

I've always been a Vic Firth player, but it wasn't until about November of '10 I switched from 5B to 2B. The only VF sticks I've played are the 5A's, Steve Gadd Signatures, 55A's, and 2B's. I also use their 606 Rutes, Live Wire Brushes, and the Stick Caddy.

At first I played 5B's and they felt great, it was pretty easy to do just about anything with them. But I looked at what most of my fave drummers were using, and it was the 2B. I thought why they did, analyzed why they did, and found that their reasons lined up very similarly to how I play. So I got a pair of 2B's. IMMEDIATELY fell in love with them and judged them to be the perfect feeling stick for my hands.

I don't think I'll ever use any other brand. I say this because many times I've had friends try to trick me into saying that I like another brand more by me closing my eyes, and switching out sticks at random, seeing if they could get me to say I like a Pro-Mark or something, and I've just always chosen VF. They were my first stick and will most def be my last if they keep it up.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM

When starting out playing I always used to use Vic Firth 5B sticks. Didn't know much better at that point so just played with what I was told to play with. As I started to advance I made the move over to Pro Mark 5A sticks. 5A just feels like the correct size for me after trying out most different sizes in my local drum shop and from experience Pro Mark seem the most durable brand. Playing live though you cannot beat Ahead. Still the same size. Gives you more control and safety in my opinion whilst on stage.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 AM

I actually started using 5A Shira Kashi Pro Marks and loved their durability but one day I walked into the local music store and picked up a pair of Vic Firth Steve Jordan's and I've never gone to any other stick. They really give you great reach around the kit, and they're light enough to really get technical on cymbals. The best part has to be the tactile response you get from them though, I cant't say too much for the durability though!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Pro Mark Millennium 2 7A's. As soon as I put these in my hands, they were perfect. I have totally fallen in love with these sticks.

Last edited by conza111; 07-12-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM

My favourite is my 7A Ahead sticks
Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM

Vic Firth 5A for heavier playing or Vic Firth 8DN for jazz.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

I have used different brands of the 5B since the 1970's and currently like the Vader offering in hickory. However, I recently bought a couple of Spizzichino ride cymbals and bought some Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride Cymbal sticks. I am really happy with these and they have become my favorities.

GJS
Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 PM

I think I'm sticking with Vic Firth from now on, but you never know. I buy from two local shops; I'm telling you, there are more warped Pro Marks than straight ones at either shop. I don't know what to make of it. And, I've gotten tired of Vater's weight variations (I have a pair of Vater 5A's that my wife bought mt that are heavier than a pair of Vic Firth 2B's I have). Where I shop, the Vics are consistenly straighter and close in weight. Sign me up. Currently using the standard VF 5A most of the time; what a great feeling/playing stick.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Though I haven't shopped for any brand in a gazillion years, Vic Firth sticks to me are of great quality.

Vic Firth SD4's are my main stick. I have smaller hands and the weight distribution feels so good to me. I play mostly light amplified trio sort of stuff and these seem so versatile.

I also use Peter Erskine Ride Stick and occasionally the Dave Weckl Evolution.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

I'm searching for the perfect stick. I prefer the 7A size, but I'd like it long. Fairly light, but not too light. I don't want that mellow sound from cymbals when playing with jazzier sticks, but somewhere in between. I want the best sound out of my cymbals. Can you help me?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 AM

My main sticks are Vic Firth extreme 5a's, but i'll also use Zildjian Taylor Hawkins sig as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 AM

VF-Peter Erskine Ride sticks FTW! Best all around stick.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Aquarian Power-Sleeve 2B (held backwards)
Old 07-30-2011, 08:54 PM

A couple of very used Vic Firths from my brother that aren't even the same size as each other. One's a 5A and I think the other's 7A (the ink's worn off so I can't tell). The only reason they've lasted so long is that they haven't been used on an acoustic kit
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 PM

I started with Vic Firth 2B and Promark 2BN straight off. And I've stuck with them.

But as my drumming has gone on I've changed my repertoire and added in a pair of Vic Firth Timp beaters, Aux Percussion beaters (again Vic), vic Lighting Rods (they didn't last long), Promark steel wire brushes, Vic Firth AJ5Z's. All for the lighter, playing, or to ease into a longer set.

And for standard planning I guess you could call it I've got Promark Joey Jordison (TX515W) (nice round tips!), Vic Firth Steve Gad (SSG), Vic Firth Buddy Rich (SBR) as well as a pair of Vic Firth 2B's.

One lesson I did learn though. NEVER buy cheap sticks off Ebay. I guess I learnt that the hard way, but money is hard for me to come by so I gambled.

I ordered 15 pairs of Hickory 2B's for 1.99 a pair. Got them and they weigh about the same as a 7A/7B their size is about that of the SBR and I snapped three pairs in one half hour set. the whole group of 15 has lasted me about the same time as one pair of nice and easy 8.99 VC2B's. I shant name the people who made them on here, but if you wanna know message me.

Although it was a costly lesson in the end, thanks to their size and weight I think I did play the best I have in a while, it made me determined not to snap a pair so quickly and try to play lighter. Got back onto my "tree trunks" with all their heaviness and barely made a sound, had to relearn my heavy style playing almost.

Ah well, we all learn the hard way eh?
Vic Firth 2B, 2BN, SBR, ProMark 2B, 515TW
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
I'm searching for the perfect stick. I prefer the 7A size, but I'd like it long. Fairly light, but not too light. I don't want that mellow sound from cymbals when playing with jazzier sticks, but somewhere in between. I want the best sound out of my cymbals. Can you help me?
Read my previous post, the bad experience sticks I was saying about? I'd suggest them, message me and I'll tell you about them.

You could also try Vic Firth's range of jazz sticks. They've got 5 sizes of American Jazz's with Nylon tips if you want them, without of course if you don't fairly light, good to get around the kit quickly on and also quite long.

If not them, then possibly the Promark TX515W's. Nice 5A weight, about an inbetween a 5 and 7 length.

A stick I did have once a while ago, were Zildjian Travis Barker signitures. Nice weight, good marching stick size, good cymbal sounds.
Vic Firth 2B, 2BN, SBR, ProMark 2B, 515TW
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Vic Firth Peter Erskine Big Band sticks all day
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Wincent 5a or Vater Los Angeles 5a
Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 AM

Innovative Percussion IP3A
Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM

In Slovenija a few 100 of drummers play with custom drum sticks from DynaVox company.
Here are some examples:

Info and brochures on :
E mail : studio.dynavox@siol.net
We can deliver sticks in Euro Union.
Attached Images

Last edited by DynaVox; 09-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 AM

I love my Ahead 7A's! straight and balanced, they are nice!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

I have been using Vic Firth American Classic Rock but it was time for a new pair so I went into the local Music shop and they had some Vic Firth Danny Carey signature. They taper in where you grip it and taper out toward the end, Really a great feeling stick and easier on my hands, they stay right where they are supposed to. I think I have a new favorite stick.

Name:  DV016_Jpg_Large_447600.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  8.7 KB
Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Vic Firth Rock Vic Grip (Wood Tip)
Pro-Mark 5B Shira Kashi Oak (Wood Tip)

Amazing sticks. Find it hard to find them sometimes..
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Personal faves:
Vic Firth Hickory 85A - Perfect for my hands, inbetween 7A and 5A
Pro-Mark Oak 7A - Light and thin
Vic Firth Hickory 2B - Working on hand technique

Keep on drumming
DG

PIC KIT For The World!

DG
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 AM

My Jojo Mayers just came in a few hours ago.

They are white with little acorn shaped wooden tips.

The tips aren't white just the wood of the stick.

Cool McCool.

Feel really nicely balanced and weighted.

The left stick just naturally bounces with trad grip.

I will not be trying push/pull or one handed with them like Mayer.

He's just out there.

A lab scientist of fulcrums and grips.

Haven't gave them a thrashing yet .

Been doing stamina singles and doubles.

Holding 200 bpm for 3mins each hand, singles and doubles.

Really helping to strengthen my hands again.

As long as I try to sit straight and breathe easy and stay loose.

P.S. I remember tryin a pair of sticks with round nearly ball shaped tips at a cover gig.

PItted the head all over lol.

Never bought those again but I'm sure it was my hard hitting technique back then LMAO.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator

My favourite sticks for months now: Vic Firth Thomas Lang Signatures.

10 years ago I bought VF Terry Bozzio Signatures to have sticks just in case, I wasn't into drumming yet. 14 months ago I took up drumming and the guy at the music store recommended me the VF Thomas Lang sigs and Zildjian Travis Barker sigs - I told him I'd use them for practicing on the pad (=a bit more weight for workout, and good 'compatibility' with pad rebounds.) They did work great but gradually I preferred the Thomas Lang - they are quite thick and more to the heavy side but I started digging them more and more. The Travis Barker felt too bouncy, they translated every hit onto my hands way stronger than any other stick I've played. I still have them but just to have alternative or reserve sticks. I discontinued using the Bozzio sigs because they felt slippery and too light - the VF coating is a feature I really like, it prevents the sticks to slide (at least in my hands - I'm not sweating a lot when pacticing drums).

I also have the VF JoJo Mayer sigs for some months now. I feel they are too light for me but still great to have to switch between the Thomas Lang and a pair of marching sticks I also have, just for variation to make the hands adjust to various sticks. The JoJo sigs are definitely good for speed though. Recently I thought of replacing the Thomas Lang by slightly lighter sticks because I still hadn't fully got used to their weight but now they start feeling alright. I guess that's also because I'm using the marching sticks (VF Scott Johnson) sometimes and switching to the TL makes them appear light.

The next time I'll be at the music store I'll have a thorough look at other drum sticks. Now, with growing hand sensitivity, I can select sticks on my own but the starting recommendations I got at the beginning were really great.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 PM

I recently ordered from the USA, Cappella aluminium sticks for warming up with on my old faithful yellow Vater chopbuilder pad.

Going pretty cheap on ebay so I thought I'd give them a try.

After using these,my normal sticks feel like balsa wood.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 AM

Silverfox 5A's

Most durable stick I've ever used. Here's what I've got to say about them (just didn't want to type it all). And no, I don't work for them...I'm just blown away by their product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NhbdFJiwU
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Gold Member

Ive tried a bunch of 5bn from the other brand name companies and I have found them to be equal or lesser in quality in terms of how long they last depending on the make and model, plus vic firth is about the only one that100% guarantees the tips on their american classic not to come off or they will replace them and at $7.25 a pair at music 123 they are definately my favorite and do not see myself changing sticks anytime soon.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

When I started playing around 2 years ago, I used Vic Firth 7A because I liked the lightness of them. I did get a few other sticks as time went on but my main sticks were always the VF 7A.

About a year ago I picked up a set of the Vater Stewart Copeland Standard on a whim. I didn't really play with them at all until about 2 months ago. I just went through my stick bag trying out all the styles that I had just to mess around with when I reached the Copelands.

As soon as I started using them, I knew that these were the sticks for me. Same thickness as the 7A but with the length of a 5A, they had the weight and speed I was comfortable with, but they had a sense of throw that was lacking in the 7A. They just seemed to launch themselves wherever I would flick my wrist. Best sticks I've ever used.
Attached Images

It's pronounced "Dee-Scrape-Ruh".

Proud owner of a Ludwig Acrolite
Old 12-10-2011, 07:49 AM

Vater or Easton Ahead aluminum sticks for sure, when I first started i got a pair of Vic Firth 2B sticks and they broke about a month later, then i got a pair of VF 5A sticks, and they broke in about two months. Then i got the vaters and they lasted ALOT longer. then i got the joey jordison Easton Ahead sticks and i love them
Old 12-10-2011, 05:57 PM

For me its VIC FIRTH 100%

I use 5Bs Both Nylon & wood tips