DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What sticks do you use & why?

Lately I'm really liking the Vater Fusion stick...I have big hands and the weight, balance, and diameter of these feel great to me. I get nice dynamic control out of these and the tip is fantastic.

Prior to that, I had been using the Vic Firth Jack DeJohnette and Akira Jimbo models on-and-off for about a year.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

I use Pro-Mark's Millenium II 5A Hand Finished Japanese Oak Drumsticks. Not to heavy, not too light and they have a great feel while playing with them. Great Taper to the shoulder that gives a great rebound while still giving powerful hits without trying too hard.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Gold Member

Just your regulare Vic Firth 5a, they are priced down once a year, and then I buy a pack. I also use my T1 Timpani sticks for cymbal work during worship and just bought jazz rakes.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
A while ago I also have had what i think was the Vic Firth Jack DeJohnette stick which is like a 5A but a little shorter than the X5A. I really liked this stick because it seemed just right for me. But more recently I checked this same stick at the music store and it seemed almost a little heavier than what I had remembered in the ones I had. If anyone knows of a similar stick to the Dejohnette - (16 5/16", Dia. = .565") please tell me.

ok next...whats your stick and why?

The JD sticks are great, balanced and versatile. I've also found that lots of them are heavy, possibly because of the coat of paint. You have to go to a music store and try out several pairs to find the lighter ones. The last time I was in the US, I came away from a music store with about a dozen pairs that were just right. The weight range is wide for these.

ddd
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM

The regular Vic Firth 5B's. Just the right thickness weight and length. I did use to play 7a's, god they're awful when I go back to them it's like I'm holding a twig! Alright for very light playing.

I did use Chris Adlers for quite a while and like those, a little longer than a 5B. I prefer them with the acorn wood type tip, not too keen of the plastic tip ones.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Regal Tip 5A wood tip. After years of 'going from flower to flower' I found my flavour. This stick feels right with balance, taper and the true gummy feel when warm in hands adds to the security of it in your hand. Great cymbal sound and bounce. If a stick could have soul its this one for sure. My desert island stick.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Big_Philly

Pretty much any stick that enables me to hit a drum. I happen to buy VF 5A or X5A most often because they are always in stock, at any random music store.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 PM

I've used 5a's of various brands (Ludwig, ProMark, Tama, L.A. Special, etc.) forever. I felt they had the right balance of power and control. But since last year, all my gigs were in small clubs, so I've been using plastic tipped 7a's.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingdrummerdean View Post
The JD sticks are great, balanced and versatile. I've also found that lots of them are heavy, possibly because of the coat of paint. You have to go to a music store and try out several pairs to find the lighter ones.
This is what drove me NUTS about these sticks...and why I won't bother using them anymore. It's frustrating to order some if you can't find them in the store...only to get half or more that are heavy as lead. This is a problem w/ Vic Firth sticks in general...wildly inconsistent weights.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM
mutant

The JD sticks I have are from several years ago (maybe late 1990's) and were in fact white in color. The ones they have in the store now I think have a plain wood stain and just seem heavier to me? Unless I got a special version with different type of wood maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
This is what drove me NUTS about these sticks...and why I won't bother using them anymore. It's frustrating to order some if you can't find them in the store...only to get half or more that are heavy as lead. This is a problem w/ Vic Firth sticks in general...wildly inconsistent weights.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM

I use various (mainly hickory ProMark Millenium II) 7a's, plastic tip and wood tips, for the speed I get over bigger, heavier, longer sticks. In my old age I guess I don't have the strength and stamina I used to have, lol. I love the weight of Japanese Oak 7a's but the darn things break. Years ago I seem to remember the plastic tips would cleanly fly off. I think glue is better nowadays because now the nylon tipped ones split and break in two, but the tip stays on the broken off piece, lol. I'm pretty sure it's from me "rockin' out" and riding the ride too hard.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

Pro Mark TX5AN and more recently have been trying the TRX5AN, the natural feels nice sometimes...

Years back I started on 2B's, over time I felt as though they were a touch heavy and moved to the 5A's, I've been playing them for 10+ years and really feel comfortable with going with what I know.

I prefer to use Pro Mark after spending time with some other brands who I felt would fail prematurely, either I'd loose the nylon tips or I'd have the shafts crack after a song or 2, I've found the quality to be more consistant with the Pro Mark's.

Not saying they are perfect, I do reject more than I select when buying, but a carefully selected PM outlasts anything else I've felt comfortable playing.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 PM
TheArchitect

Depends

VF Garibaldi model
VF 5A Extremes
VF Erskine ride Stick
ProMark Elvin Jones model
Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 PM
BigSteve

Vic Firth SD10 Swingers.....I have big hands and the SD10's are fit well, made of maple and have a nice tip. Great sound on the cymbals, nice for control.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Pro-Mark 808 nylon, both hickory [lighter, for gigs, when I'm playing for longer stretches] & oak [heavier & more durable, for rehearsals].
Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 PM

Pro mark 808 Paul Wertico sticks or the 707 Ed Shaughnessy both Oak sticks. I like the strength of the oak sticks and the weight distribution of both of these sticks gives me a nice rebound.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 PM

So what are people with small hands using? I like the VF Dave Weckl sticks with wood tips, on the job, but they're really too big for me for technical stuff.

I've been buying different sticks from MF and the only ones I like are the VF jazz AJ6 for its cymbal sound. Others like the SD combo sound terrible to me.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
So what are people with small hands using? I like the VF Dave Weckl sticks with wood tips, on the job, but they're really too big for me for technical stuff.

I've been buying different sticks from MF and the only ones I like are the VF jazz AJ6 for its cymbal sound. Others like the SD combo sound terrible to me.
You might try the Akira Jimbo model then...they're great...but way too small for my sausage fingers. Vater Manhattan might be to your liking as well.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 PM

For now just good old Vic Firth American Hickory 5A. Like the way they feel in my hands light but not 7A (twig) light
Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephead19 View Post
For now just good old Vic Firth American Hickory 5A. Like the way they feel in my hands light but not 7A (twig) light
I like them now that they're offering the painted model. They're a little easier to hang onto.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

VF 5B's right now like how they feel and fit my hand well...have not played long either so I have not experimented much either. I started off with these sticks and liked them right off.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I like them now that they're offering the painted model. They're a little easier to hang onto.
I havent seen that model, i will have to check into it because the stick occasionally slipping and the tips breaking (i dont know if that is the right word) are my only complaints
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 AM

I tried a pair of Regal Tip Rocks years ago, loved them, but they were expensive.
Tried lots of others, including Vic Firth, but hankered after the memory of those old Regals - - -
When I tried them again, I just thought, yes, these are the ones. Only, the Jazz ones were too light, the Rock ones too heavy - after looking up the website I ordered the "JC" model - Perfect!!
Trouble is, I have to order them, nobody stocks them, and the only music shop left in town has shut down - I might have to try to get used to the Rock ones cos they're easier to get. My technique is better now, so maybe I can handle them !!!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 AM

I like to use Vic Firth 2B's. Pro Mark 2B's just don't feel right plus 2B's add some power when I 'm playing. I use a pair of Sabian 5B's to practice in my room because they're light and don't hurt that much when I'm playing on my leg.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:41 AM

Overall - VF Weckl Sigs (Evolution I think?) - these are really my favorites, great balance and feel.

Playing with my band - I tend to play with VF American Classic Rock just because I need a heavier stick with a little more punch.

on the pad - I like switch between the Weckl Sigs and SD1's.

oh yeah - wood tips all around.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

I alternate here and there, depending on the style of music.

Vic Firth Dave Weckl Signature (maroon color)
Vic Firth Jeff Davis Signature

Regal Tip 5B-X wood tip are my newest love

I also practice on the pad with Vic Firth Steve Domoylan Signature
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 AM

hmm i found by coincidence two VF 5A from two different pairs (since their paired sticks probably broke) and i use them practicing at home and rehearsals with my band. for live i use Pro Mark 737 (slightly shorter and thinner than a 5 with a modified barrel shaped tip). these pro marks are quite good compared to the stinger model and the regular 5A but i trying to find a stick that has the same thickness with a 5A but a longer one. any suggestion?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Vic Firth 7A for me. They feel good in my hands, they do anything I need them to do and most importantly they work! And you can get them anywhere. If I need to go heavier I pull out a pair of Vic Firth 5A.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Pro-Mark 5A wood tips...because they are versatile and you can find them anywhere.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat in the middle View Post
Regal Tip 5A wood tip. After years of 'going from flower to flower' I found my flavour. This stick feels right with balance, taper and the true gummy feel when warm in hands adds to the security of it in your hand. Great cymbal sound and bounce. If a stick could have soul its this one for sure. My desert island stick.
That "gummy" feeling is why I use Regal's almost exclusively. I LIKE tons of other sticks, but they either use NO coating, or it's a different type of coating and I can't play 'em without them flying across the room!!!

I use everything from a Regal Tip Combo, to a 5A. I like a small, light stick, as I'm always being told I'm too loud, the smaller sticks help with that.

There have been gig's where I've taken the tips off a set of Combos and used the stick like that. They actually sound REALLY great on a ride like that.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 05-29-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
That "gummy" feeling is why I use Regal's almost exclusively. I LIKE tons of other sticks, but they either use NO coating, or it's a different type of coating and I can't play 'em without them flying across the room!!!
Hmmm...I'll have to give those a try.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

For the longest time I have been using Vic Firth 5A's and also the 55A's (in between a 5A & 5B I will also use 5B's for any rehearsing I might get in to) but have been unhappy with the way the tips chip so frequently, at $ 12 bucks a pop I figured it was time for a change and have tried a Canadian brand called Los Cabos.
They feel very good, have a great bounce and the sound is very clear especially on the cymbals, the model is called 5A Intense which is slightly longer than the regular 5A. I have also been using the Vater Acoustic, both types. they are quite pricey at $30 and $40 a pair but I love the way they sound and are great for when I need to cut back a bit on the volume plus they record very well. They consist of bamboo rods that are surrounded by equal lengths of flat plastic, one problem is that the bamboo rods are not glued very well to the bottom of the stick and they start to extrude and eventually fly out. I am very happy so far with the Los Cabos and would recommend that you give them a try. If any one else has used the Vater Acoustic I would like to hear from you as I do really enjoy playing with them but wish they wouldn't fall apart so easily and perhaps you have some tips to pass on.
http://www.loscabosdrumsticks.com/

http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=58
Old 05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
I am very happy so far with the Los Cabos and would recommend that you give them a try.
I definitely would if I could order them in the states or find them locally. I befriended them on Facebook and they're very cool people with a fun sense of humor. They offered to sell to me directly but I'd have wait and pay for shipping from CA, seems like more of a hassle than it's worth.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 PM

5B is pretty much what I use.

Brand? I've played them all, I see no discernable difference. I've had sticks from all brands suck and I've had sticks from all brands 'go forever'.

I buy whatever the music store has. I would NEVER align myself with one stick company unless they actually paid me.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 PM

Steve Gadd Signature Series by Vic Firth. For me, there is no better stick, period.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 PM

"Vater - The Stewart Copeland Standard". I use them because they feel best to me and seem to last a while longer then other sticks I've used.16" length, .555" diameter with a round bead.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Are there any really light wood sticks anyone would recommend for light jazz and blues?

I love the sound of light wood stick taps on the snare. I have a pair of Eagle 5As which are close to what I want, but not quite there. Bead durability is not much of an issue for me because I mostly use brushes these days.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Are there any really light wood sticks anyone would recommend for light jazz and blues?

I love the sound of light wood stick taps on the snare. I have a pair of Eagle 5As which are close to what I want, but not quite there. Bead durability is not much of an issue for me because I mostly use brushes these days.

Maybe look into the American Jazz series from Vic Firth? I've used the AJ3, 5, and 6 for jazz and blues.

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/americanjazz.html

Or check out a 7A stick from just about any manufacturer.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
For the longest time I have been using Vic Firth 5A's and also the 55A's (in between a 5A & 5B I will also use 5B's for any rehearsing I might get in to) but have been unhappy with the way the tips chip so frequently, at $ 12 bucks a pop I figured it was time for a change and have tried a Canadian brand called Los Cabos.
They feel very good, have a great bounce and the sound is very clear especially on the cymbals, the model is called 5A Intense which is slightly longer than the regular 5A.
This is exactly the same experience I've had. Los Cabos sticks are pretty impressive - Cheap, matched, and surprisingly durable, especially the tip.

Los Cabos 5B
Pro Mark 5B
Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM

I'm just a beginner (classical guitarist natively, but the wife is teaching me drums..don't hurt me) -- so I have a preference, but it's largely unqualified

I'm using 7As.

I tried a number of weights/sizes and liked the way 7A feel (though that could change at any time)
I'm not going for a lot of power or volume (amplified rock, etc) so maybe that's part of it

I kind of had the same thing with double bass, I had to choose between French and German and French felt more natural, but I had some cello training, so that might have effected - but it worked out