DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 AM

Default When do you give up on sticks

I try to use my sticks in pairs, and eventually one of them will wear out and break, and the other is usually close behind.
Here's a typical set near EOL.
So what do I do with the one that didn't break? Should I just chuck it too? It doesn't really work to pair it with a new stick. I suppose I could save it for when I get another orphan near EOL.
What do you folks do? Just curious.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 AM

Default Re: When do you give up on sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I try to use my sticks in pairs, and eventually one of them will wear out and break, and the other is usually close behind.
Here's a typical set near EOL.
So what do I do with the one that didn't break? Should I just chuck it too? It doesn't really work to pair it with a new stick. I suppose I could save it for when I get another orphan near EOL.
What do you folks do? Just curious.
I'm pretty superstitious with sticks. I don't like throwing them out unless they are broken, especially if I have had some good gigs with a given pair.

However, for sticks that are technically still intact sometimes I have no choice but to chuck them, especially for wooden tips that have chipped and I am worried about cymbal sound in a small acoustic environment.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:37 AM
Silver Member

I typically try to rotate the pair so they wear fairly evenly. When the first one goes, the second isn't very far behind.

My problem is that I put the broken/worn out pair on the table behind my kit and they just sit there.

Maybe I should use them for kindling.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should use them for kindling.
I like that idea. :)
I try to rotate the two in the pair also (R to L, L to R) so I'm getting an even wear pattern for the two, but even then, one seems to be getting the worst of it and splits. The other one is usually close behind, so I usually chuck it too, but I feel a little guilty chucking an unbroken stick (and I wouldn't pair it with an unworn one).
Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: When do you give up on sticks

I give up when my sticks look like yours.
I have a large dog. At least once a day I wlak it in a nice, natural wooded area, with benches. I leave my old tattered pairs of sticks there on the bench. Within a day or two, they are always gone. Over the years I have left over 6 pairs this way, hoping some kid picks them up, maybe tries them out, and turns on to drums....
Old 01-13-2015, 07:44 AM

When I break one of a pair of sticks, I save the intact one. I usually use sound percussion 5As and sometimes vics, so eventually I will go through another fresh pair until one breaks, and then I'll have a matching pair of worn sticks. I don't like mixing fresh and old sticks, either.

I got a little brick of sound percussion funks for christmas. So it's like getting 6 fresh pairs of sticks, and then ending up with a bonus 3 pair of ratty ones that get mixed and matched until they're all dead. I think I might be good till christmas...
Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM

When one breaks I put the good one aside and used a new pair. When one of those break I take the old one set aside and use it with the newer one. When deciding if a non broken stick needs to be retired, I look if it is so worn or shredded that it affects the weight of the stick and therefore would have an effect on my play. Yours are to the point where I'd probably toss them. As far as broken ones or non broken ones that are super worn out; I save them and use them as paint stirrers.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 PM

As one stick goes and the remaining stick is still serviceable, I'll put it aside in my stick back and I'll usually keep 3-4 of these 'orphans' handy to reach for if I drop a stick for instance -- a few orphans can last a good long time doing fill-in duties for a drop etc...

as more break, I'll keep the best orphans in my 'grab for spot' in the bag and rotate out the worst ones etc... They're also great for the occasional "Can you sign a stick for me??" hand-outs!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

When he gets to be just too much, & that's pretty soon.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboyeee View Post
As one stick goes and the remaining stick is still serviceable, I'll put it aside in my stick back and I'll usually keep 3-4 of these 'orphans' handy to reach for if I drop a stick for instance -- a few orphans can last a good long time doing fill-in duties for a drop etc...

as more break, I'll keep the best orphans in my 'grab for spot' in the bag and rotate out the worst ones etc... They're also great for the occasional "Can you sign a stick for me??" hand-outs!
Great idea! ...although, no one wants ME to sign sticks for them. :)
Old 01-13-2015, 05:07 PM

I give up on them when they break, although I have a pair that I have used for so long that they haven't broken but the tips have worn down to a much flatter version of themselves, and the cymbal sound is different to a new pair! I might throw them out soon.

But I don't really treat them as pairs. I only use one type of stick.
so when I buy sticks, I buy at least 4 pairs, which is 8 sticks.

When playing they wear evenly as I naturally pick them up the other way round from one day to the next
When one breaks, I just pick up another one and carry on. Or if it's very worn I start another pair and soon you have 3 or more that are worn and I pick 2 from the 3 worn ones. And so on.

So I don't treat them strictly as pairs, just as individual sticks. I had some lessons from Trevor Thornton for a while and he had a big stick bag with about 50 5B's in it. I couldn't make out any 'matched pairs' in his bag. That's what started me doing it like that.

I also like Opentune's idea of leaving sticks in random places!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 PM

I have a big pile of knackered sticks at my lockup, they're great for practicing so you keep your good pairs for gigs.

Also have an old pair stashed down the side of my sofa so I can practice at home on my mesh head snare. It's great for warming up if you have a gig later that day, plus you don't have to turn the TV off!

Not as heavier hitter as I used to be so sticks last ages. My old drum teachers at uni always used to have a pair of sticks that was probably older than I was for lessons, think I'm subconsciously doing the same!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 PM

I'll try to snap the tip when my 5A nylons get too worn out, if I can't snap the tip off with medium pressure I'll play with it. Nothing bugs me more when mid playing my stick loses all it's bounce.

When I do break a stick out of a pair, I'll set the good one aside untill I have about 3 sets of worn out sticks. At which point I'll stop buying new sticks and play with the worn sets till they're toast. Afterwards the cycle starts again and I get a few sets of new sticks.

If a stick is frayed, or too chewed up it gets tossed too.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
When he gets to be just too much, & that's pretty soon.
Hehehehehe!

Haha, everyone seems reluctant to throw out worn sticks, and I'm the same way.
Heads too for some reason. I have a small stack that I KNOW I won't use again, but, I don't trash them (when the stack got stupid, I did throw some out). Maybe it's the old "in an emergency" thing, but, in 30+ years of playing gigs, there hasn't been "an emergency".

Sticks don't usually ever break on me. I've used the until the rim shot area has been beavered out, and until the area that hits the cymbal has been chewed up so much it's ridiculous. If it still feels fine, I'll use it.
On a gig, it's a new pair, or a slightly used pair.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

I cannot stand when the tips of my sticks get all chewed up. I throw them out then, or if they still "kinda work" I'll leave them at open-mic jams for other people to break.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I give up when my sticks look like yours.
I have a large dog. At least once a day I wlak it in a nice, natural wooded area, with benches. I leave my old tattered pairs of sticks there on the bench. Within a day or two, they are always gone. Over the years I have left over 6 pairs this way, hoping some kid picks them up, maybe tries them out, and turns on to drums....
Old 01-14-2015, 01:57 AM
Gold Member

When they are so splintered from rimshots that they snag on the hoop.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:44 AM

Splintered Tips + Boring Practice = Reason To Go To Drum Shop and Re-energize With New Sticks!!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:53 AM
Gold Member

I keep a couple pairs of new sticks around for lessons, recording, and for when company comes over. I play the rest of the sticks until they're borked to the point where they are no longer viable for practice.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

After about a fifth of whiskey I can't feel anything anymore. I give up the sticks and just start playing with my hands.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Renegade

I'm seeing how long my bamboo sticks will last. I've had them in fairly low volume environments for years.

The tips are worn and a bit soft and normally I'd get new sticks at that point for the crystalline "ting" on the ride and cleaner attack on the hats and toms. This time I'm keeping them and actually enjoying the softer attack with worn tips for now. The neighbours probably don't mind it either.

Go Bon! :)

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
When they are so splintered from rimshots that they snag on the hoop.
Oh yeah. That too. Good point!
When I start getting splinters from them, it's time to throw them...
Old 01-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Once the tip gets soft and no longer sounds pingy on the ride cymbal, I throw them out, usually one at a time . I have used a lot of sticks since 1969, so it is no big deal for me to throw them away. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 01-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Once the tip gets soft and no longer sounds pingy on the ride cymbal, I throw them out, usually one at a time
Same here.

Lately I've been playing a bit harder, so they get a fair lot of rim-shot damage.
They get a bit "soft" in the process and I then chuck them away.
I normally buy three pairs of sticks at a time and re-pair them until I run out.

Various stages of damage: http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram...0a9e08df_7.jpg
Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM

Depends on how much of a stockpile I have. Unless they crack or outright snap, I rarely throw away a stick, but put it in the discarded pile. If desperate, I can always go back to that. But the older I get the less money is of an issue with regards to sticks (not that I'm loaded or rich, but I don't seem to be trying to make a stick last because I haven't money for more sticks). When I was in an apartment I played an e-kit and sticks seemed to last forever then! I used to break them where you seem to be wearing them the most, from playing the cymbals differently than I do now. Nowadays I'm breaking them from rimshots, although much less from my younger, gorilla swinging days ;)

Cheers!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 PM

With my acoustics, the sticks would usually break over time and I would swap them out. With electrics I tend to have sticks that don't break but instead get really hard and abrasive feeling in my hands. Each hit sends a shock to my hands and wears you out. At that point I grab a new pair. Also, if one of the sticks warps, out it goes. Its very annoying to play with a warped stick.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 PM

Really kind of hard to put in words. There's just a certain "feel" that I get and it's time to grab a new pair. I don't throw away the sticks however. I cut them into thirds and use them in my BBQ pit for hickory or oak smoked flavor. This Christmas I used a couple dozen to line my front yard walkway and twisted light strings around each one to prevent the strings from getting kicked out of place. Now thinking of notching them in a way that grandkids can use them the way I did Lincoln Logs. YEAH, I go through a lot of sticks.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

I don't keep mine in pairs but I do try to pull them out of the pile in rotation so they all have roughly the same amount of wear. It's also important that the two I'm using at any given time are in as similar condition as possible. I don't like the feel of one new stick and the other having a lot of mileage on it.

I don't break sticks so much as chew them up. They often get to a point where they are structurally sound but have splinters. As soon as there's anything that looks like it might pinch or stick my hand, I toss it out.