DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-11-2014, 01:22 AM

Default remo silentstroke ....

remo silentstroke, someone has some experience????

Want to make my first drum silent so i can use it to play at home, now that i have a new drum :)

thx.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: remo silentstroke ....

I have not tried them but now I am very curious to get one and try it out. I'd imagine they feel and sound just like an E drum with mesh heads.

I wonder if they're any different than the Rhythm Traveler heads, they're priced a little higher.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 AM

i have heard that they resonate more then mesh heads :) ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I have not tried them but now I am very curious to get one and try it out. I'd imagine they feel and sound just like an E drum with mesh heads.

I wonder if they're any different than the Rhythm Traveler heads, they're priced a little higher.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

They are mesh, I own two- one for my snare, and one for my 10" mini timbale. They are indeed very quiet! They aren't the most realistic feeling but it's pretty good in my opinion (having played a Roland TD-20 as well). I could play in a dorm room with them.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:29 AM

sweet ;), and what would i use for cymbals? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
They are mesh, I own two- one for my snare, and one for my 10" mini timbale. They are indeed very quiet! They aren't the most realistic feeling but it's pretty good in my opinion (having played a Roland TD-20 as well). I could play in a dorm room with them.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 AM

They are okay. I wouldn't call them durable though. Nothing like a double ply mesh head from Roland. The Roland heads will live through the Apocalypse with the cockroaches long after we humans are gone.

But, the Remo's are okay. They do have a strange scratchy sound when you hit them. Something about the mesh compound makes them sound like a windbreaker sleeve sliding around. Remo makes the Roland heads, but they don't have the scratchy sound.

In any case, if you are a soft to moderate hitter, the Remo head will be fine. Heavy hitting will cause premature wear and eventually they will rip. If you are a heavy hitter, try to find a Roland head and you can beat it with a baseball bat.. If the size you are looking for doesn't come in Roland sizes, Pintech has mesh heads that are pretty durable I hear.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:08 AM

At home, I have the Remo Silentstroke heads on my Sonor Safari floor tom, snare and bass drum; and the Pearl Mesh Head on my small tom. Have had these on for around 3 months now with no signs of wear. I put a bass drum patch on the batter head for longevity, which gives a nicer defined click sound from the beater- without this, I wouldn't hear the beater hit loud enough.

The sound generated is just enough to hear the sticking while playing normally, so you don't feel like you're in a void. I usually turn off the snares to generate a more precise sound- otherwise the snare drum when hit has a little snare delay quality.

I haven't noticed any difference between the Pearl and Remo heads bounce or durability wise, but many posts I've read said the Pintechs wore out fast. The bounce I get is fairly realistic, not a high speed rebound at all.
Not being a particularly hard hitter, I wouldn't expect to wear out any of the heads soon but I do bash away once in a while.

They are a life saver for me as I had received a homeowner's notice to "soundproof" my drumming. With the mesh heads, I can safely hit away any time the urge suits me.

For my cymbals, I use a combo of Sound Percussion Crash/Ride Cymbal Mutes and HQ Percussion Mutes (one for my hi-hats and one for my ride). The pie shaped SP mutes allow a tiny bit of the crash quality to come through if I want, and slip onto the cymbal stand sleeves, while the HQ Mutes stretch across the cymbals, generating a hard rubber striking sound (like that of a hard surfaced practice pad). I use them both but lately found the SP Mutes to generate a comfortable feeling bounce, along with a controllable sound.

I intend to further convert this to an E-kit with triggers and a Yamaha module in the near future, but for now am pretty content with the set up now.
I think you'd like the mesh head solution as well and either Silentstroke or MeshHeads would work.

• Thanks to a couple of "Bo posts" I realized how the mesh heads could solve the noise issue and start the E-kit conversion whenever desired. His Safari kit review a few years ago got me into this great little set for a cheap price.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 AM

Thx for the info :)........