DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Reusing heads

Sorry, daft question from a newbie to heads and tuning (but enjoying it!).

Can I loosen all lugs, remove a head and refit it? Or once it is seated and tightened is that it?

Cheers

Dave
Old 06-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Reusing heads

Yes, you can re-use drum heads. They do wear out (apart from wearing a hole in them) however.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Yes, you can re-use drum heads. They do wear out (apart from wearing a hole in them) however.
Agreed. I think they wear out faster than most people think too. I've literally seen drums maybe 10 years old with original reso heads on em.
Also I've heard it suggested that you put the head back on in the same position that it was taken off. I don't know if I buy it, but I think the theory is that the head adjusts to the bearing edge and any imperfections it may have. Has anyone else heard of this?

Billy
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 AM

I find once you take a head off a drum, brand new, or old it never quite sounds the same when you put it back on. Especially 2 ply heads. I find once they are put back on, even in the exact same spot they lose sustain, can get distorted sounding, strange harmonics that weren't there before, etc...
Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

If your head naturally sits to one side, it might be best to rotate it 180 degrees to reverse the imperfection that would have been formed into the head. That's if you understand what I'm saying.

(Read that sentence over again, but picture a human head instead of a drum head.)

Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomos View Post
Agreed. I think they wear out faster than most people think too. I've literally seen drums maybe 10 years old with original reso heads on em.
Also I've heard it suggested that you put the head back on in the same position that it was taken off. I don't know if I buy it, but I think the theory is that the head adjusts to the bearing edge and any imperfections it may have. Has anyone else heard of this?

Billy
I've seen thin snare side heads adjust to the snare bed... But thick batter heads, i'm not sure. Depends on the size of the imperfections on your bearing edge too, and with good drums they're pretty consistent.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
I've seen thin snare side heads adjust to the snare bed... But thick batter heads, i'm not sure. Depends on the size of the imperfections on your bearing edge too, and with good drums they're pretty consistent.
Yea, that snare side thing makes a lot of sense. Maybe even a snare batter. Don't think I'm really buying it on toms and BD though, mainly because they're not tensioned as tight.

Billy
Old 06-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietysSorrow View Post
I find once you take a head off a drum, brand new, or old it never quite sounds the same when you put it back on. Especially 2 ply heads. I find once they are put back on, even in the exact same spot they lose sustain, can get distorted sounding, strange harmonics that weren't there before, etc...
This sounds to me like a tuning issue, it's not something that I have ever really noticed myself.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
This sounds to me like a tuning issue, it's not something that I have ever really noticed myself.
LOL hardly a tuning issue! I pride myself on my abilities to tune. I've been playing for 15 years and I have had to tune tympani, drum sets, marching snares, marching tenors, marching basses, shave down bars on vibraphones/xylophones/marimbas.

One cannot deny that a head will not sit on the drum the exact same way as it was before. This causes the head to not sit on the bearing edge properly creating a less than pleasing result.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 AM

When refitting a used head, does it ned to be reaseated (push down hard and retune) or is that something that only needs to happen once when cracking the glue? (sorry I'm new to this).

Cheers