DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 AM
pxf446

Default does rock band help you on drumming

i bought rock band 2 days ago and once you do anything other then easy its like real drumming, does anyone else think so or am i just crazy. its probley the coolest thing have ever played, but it better be for $174, but i really think its helping my basic rock drumming skills, and i hear you can hook it up to your pc and use it as a drum machiene. and think about it ya there is only 4 pads but all you need is a cymbal, snare and bass drum. i wondere if there is any drumming lessons out there for this. like thik about it in rock band u can listen and see the drumming. on regular drumming sure you can read music and listen to it but this gives you the exact timing and everything. i know this has probably been talked about already cuz this game has been out forever but i was stuck on call of duty 4 for like 6 months. my gamer tag is jtt446 if anyone wants to play. also if you play online with some 1 they could show you new drum beats and stuff right?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Default Re: does rock band help you on drumming

rockband is to drumming as kfc is to chicken. beats are only half of drumming, you can't really play with anykind of real technique cause there's no rebound on the rockband pads. It's fun, which is what it's meant to be, but it's more like simon says then drumming...
Old 06-05-2008, 01:23 AM

unless your playing expert and your game has no lag time it is just another thing that tries to convince the world that drumming is the easiest instrument on earth.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

It's like saying if you can beat dragonforce on guitar hero, you can own Hendrix.

Do you know for a fact that it can be connected to to computer? details?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Only thing i could see rock band doing is possibly helping with endurance and time keeping.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-ddrumer View Post
unless your playing expert and your game has no lag time it is just another thing that tries to convince the world that drumming is the easiest instrument on earth.
word! my friend plays rockband constantly and sais that he knows how to play drums really well now..

BOLOGNA!!!

i admit rockband on expert is a sinch for me and probably all of us because we have the coordination and skill to do so

just because you can beat tom sawyer on expert doesnt mean you can actually play it better than peart himself

GOD THAT DRIVES ME NUTS!!

thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 PM

I realllly wonna try this game!!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Pioneer Member

Guitar Hero 4 will have drums. Supposedly a much more realistic feel than rock band's drums. Im happy they did this because i played rock band and the drums were fun, but the guitar part was waaaaaaay too easy. (but then again i have no life and play gh alot.)

Fun.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

the only thing i can see it helping ppl on would be tempo. its nothing like the drums, so it really couldnt help you out there....

just like Guitar Hero. i play guitar(rather good if i can say myself) and i thought that i could play a song on GH3 on hard since i can play it on real guitar...well let me tell you.....NO!!!..soooo much difference...not even close..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

yea rock band's really easy, all the songs on drums are quite simple, aside from a couple, that pose a challenge. And isnt guitar hero 4 supposed have like cymbals and stuff?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:52 AM

I remember watching a youtube video talking about guitar hero with drums.... i think this is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYns9...eature=related

Never tried rock band, so i have no idea if it would help or not.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Is it fun? yes loads of fun! Is it challenging? yea it can get pretty hard. But is it "Good" for drummers? (in the aspect of getting better at playing drums) NO!

First and MAJOR grievence: LAG time. I have played this game on 3 other friends TV's and not one of them could I get the game to sync up perfectly with the music. It was always slightly on top of the beat or slightly behind the beat. Playing songs on Rock Band and hitting the pad(s) when the game says you are right but at the same time you are just slightly ahead or slightly behind the music is horrible to practice over and over and over. It would throw your timing off when you are playing with a band w/ real instruments, and w/ a sound system.

I can sum it up with that old saying: Practicing the correct way will get you good results, practicing the wrong way will get you bad results.

Other grievences: you can't learn good stick control, or the feel of "the sticks striking the drums". Not to mention the joke they try pass off as a bassdrum pedal, honestly that couldn't been done A LOT better.

However I digress...

And now the hardcore gamer has a chance to talk:
It's an AWESOME game it brings people together to interact in ways that they might not be able to in the past. Not everyone can be a good musician, good enough to play in a band with their friends. This game brings it down to the "gamer level" in which the intruments have been "simplified" into a few buttons. And with that you now have a game: a sequence of visual and audio cues coming from the TV/Monitor, that you can manipulate with a few controls that fit in your hand.

I really like this game and enjoy playing it with my bandmates as well as my friends who are not so musically inclined. I enjoy it for what it is: a game.

LOL it's kind of like the Matrix, you have to think of it as code, just like all games, and like all games there are ways to "cheat", to do things in the game (with the devices Rack Band provides) that you couldn't do in real life.

I think EVERYONE should look at this with the right perspective, this is not a device to teach, or practice an instrument. It's a GAME that emulates playing those instruments, the developers never intended this to be a way to teach people how to play guitars or drums, nor for a way to practice said instruments. The objective is to bring friends together to play a game in a new and intuitive way. When you get it down to basics this isn't much different than what Halo did to the gaming community, Halo's advancements were purely game software and multiplayer interaction. Well Rock Band's advancements are the peripherals and their intigration into the software.

It's all about perspective really, there's no reason for Gamers nor for Musician's to get all bent out of shape about it.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
just like Guitar Hero. i play guitar(rather good if i can say myself) and i thought that i could play a song on GH3 on hard since i can play it on real guitar...well let me tell you.....NO!!!..soooo much difference...not even close..

Alex
This is a perfect example of how this is a game and has little to do with real life. I play drums in a band and have been messing around with guitars for a few years now, I wouldn't say I'm very good but I'm better than a 6-month novice. There are songs on Guitar Hero and Rock Band that I can not do on expert (guitar parts). But my brother who has NEVER played an instrument in his life can play the same songs and get perfect scores on expert.

ha! jus thought of this... would you expect a soldier in the military to be good at Halo, or Call of Duty? They might have a little advantage with their previous knowledge, but that doesn't mean they will automatically be awesome at the game.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:02 PM

A new thought:

I'm surprised that it is now when there are "music" games coming out do people start to criticize the musical talent of people who play these games. No one said anything about those people who were great at playing SOCOM Navy Seals. Is it not the same argument? "Does playing Socom make you a good "special ops soldier"? Or what about all the football games and baseball games. If you had a bat to use with MLB 2008 would you then think you were a great baseball player? No you wouldn't (if you were a sane person) You would go about your business just as gamers have for years and boast that you were great at "such and such" game, not that a game made you a great "this or that".

This is where the arguement turns...

When people who are gamers and have never played an instrument in their life begin to boast they are great guitar players just because they can play though Rock Band / Guitar Hero on expert and flawlessly, you have problems. Because clearly playing guitar/bass/drums/whatever in a game environment is not even close to playing the real instrument. And these people who do this are obviously ignorant of the amount of focus and skill that is required (not to mention hours of practice), to be great at real instruments.

Just thoughts, have a good day.

-Doug
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

On the plus side, at least RB, along with GH, are helping to bring rock music and instrument playing back. I don't know about other places, but here in the big city, white people have almost become the minority and rock music is starting to get lost(I try to say this without being "politically incorrect"). These games have made a few of my friends pick up real drums and guitar and actually start learning.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post
Is it fun? yes loads of fun! Is it challenging? yea it can get pretty hard. But is it "Good" for drummers? (in the aspect of getting better at playing drums) NO!

First and MAJOR grievence: LAG time. I have played this game on 3 other friends TV's and not one of them could I get the game to sync up perfectly with the music. It was always slightly on top of the beat or slightly behind the beat. Playing songs on Rock Band and hitting the pad(s) when the game says you are right but at the same time you are just slightly ahead or slightly behind the music is horrible to practice over and over and over. It would throw your timing off when you are playing with a band w/ real instruments, and w/ a sound system.

I can sum it up with that old saying: Practicing the correct way will get you good results, practicing the wrong way will get you bad results.

Other grievences: you can't learn good stick control, or the feel of "the sticks striking the drums". Not to mention the joke they try pass off as a bassdrum pedal, honestly that couldn't been done A LOT better.

However I digress...

It's an AWESOME game it brings people together to interact in ways that they might not be able to in the past. Not everyone can be a good musician, good enough to play in a band with their friends. This game brings it down to the "gamer level" in which the intruments have been "simplified" into a few buttons. And with that you now have a game: a sequence of visual and audio cues coming from the TV/Monitor, that you can manipulate with a few controls that fit in your hand.

I really like this game and enjoy playing it with my bandmates as well as my friends who are not so musically inclined. I enjoy it for what it is: a game.

LOL it's kind of like the Matrix, you have to think of it as code, just like all games, and like all games there are ways to "cheat", to do things in the game (with the devices Rack Band provides) that you couldn't do in real life.

I think EVERYONE should look at this with the right perspective, this is not a device to teach, or practice an instrument. It's a GAME that emulates playing those instruments, the developers never intended this to be a way to teach people how to play guitars or drums, nor for a way to practice said instruments. The objective is to bring friends together to play a game in a new and intuitive way. When you get it down to basics this isn't much different than what Halo did to the gaming community, Halo's advancements were purely game software and multiplayer interaction. Well Rock Band's advancements are the peripherals and their intigration into the software.

It's all about perspective really, there's no reason for Gamers nor for Musician's to get all bent out of shape about it.
couldn't have said it better myself.

but one thing you left out, or what i might ad myself;
it may or may not get or influence more people to either listen to music they normaly wouldn't, it can also convince someone to go to a pawn shop or somewhere and pick up a real guitar, drum set, bass, or whatever. it may get them started and music and one day making someone's favoret song. so it does and can show some other porposes for being usefull.

EDIT: i played guitar hero and it made me worse at guitar!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
It's like saying if you can beat dragonforce on guitar hero, you can own Hendrix.

Do you know for a fact that it can be connected to to computer? details?
http://digg.com/pc_games/Free_Drum_M..._Band_Drum_Set
Old 06-21-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post

However I digress...

Thank you for taking your time to bring thoughtful perspective to this topic.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Mystic

Yea I was at a friends party and it bugged me that people who never play instruments could play the drums on it better than me, I was quite depressed. Keep in mind these are people that admire my drum skill.