DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-31-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Remo heads for Rogers toms

I have a Rogers 360 kit. It is not the best set, but it sound pretty good for recording. The toms however don't sound very warm. I am now using Remo Pinstripes on the batter side and clear Ambassadors for the resonate side. I am look for a warmer tone with less over tones. Searching the posts it seems that the coated Ambassators or the Empores would be the best chose. I want stay with Remos. Thoughts would be deeply appreciated.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Remo heads for Rogers toms

I'm no pro, but pinstripes do not equal warm. The stripes were my first heads that I used on a Ludwig rock set; great for a fat, low rock sound.

If you want to stick with Remo, then I would keep the Ambo's on the resonant side and go with coated Emperors on the batter. The ambassadors are single ply and the emperors are double, so the extra ply on the batter side should help with some of the overtones.

Coated heads are also typically warmer which is why I suggest them. There are probably a slew of others on here with more knowledge on the subject, but that's what I would do!
[philippians 4:13]
Old 05-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Seems like search well you have, and LD has recommended a good choice. Coated heads give you a "warmer" sound. Clear heads a "brighter". Smooth white fall in between. Emperor over Ambassador is a very popular combo. After you try LD's mix, if you still want a "warmer" sound, switch the reso. to a smooth white, or an ebony head.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the help. I will take the advice and run!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:28 PM

I recently put some Remo Coated Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors on my 80's Ludwig kit, and I thought you might want to hear what I think about them.

I usually use Evans, but thought that I would try out some Remo's. I like the sound that they produce. Warm, resonant, but still controlled. ( I went with Ambassadors because I am playing gigs outside with no mics, so I want them to resonate a bit more ) Now I'm sure youve heard that the coating doesn't last, and its true in my case as well. Played a 3 hour gig, the first time with these heads, and in the middle it was already chipped away, and I don't murder my drums. But it doesn't change the sound at all. Just thought I would share my review on the Remo's.

Ps.. clear PS3 on batter side of bass drum = happiness
Old 06-10-2008, 06:41 PM

I ended up going with the coated Emperors on the top and really like how it sounds. I left the clear Ambassadors on the bottom. Being that my kit is not that warm by itself, the coating helps. We'll see how well the coating holds up.