DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-29-2008, 02:33 AM

Default TD-9 owners

What do you guys think about the Roland TD-9? I'm planning on buying it in a few weeks and was wondering what those who own it think about it. Pros? Cons?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Default Re: TD-9 OWNERS

Probably won't be too many owners just yet as they've just recently hit the market.

I was able to tinker just a bit with them back in January at NAMM. Based on my limited experience there, I don't think you could go wrong.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Re: TD-9 owners

I noticed your thread last week but decided to wait until this week to reply simply because my new TD-9 was to arrive on Friday last week and I think after 5 days of tinkering and learning the kit I'm able to give you somewhat of an overview of it. My intentions was to buy the TD-12 but after playing around on the TD-9 at G.C. I found out real quick that the TD-9 was no slouch and compared tremendously to the TD-12. Keep in mind that the 12 uses an upgraded HH ( VH11) as compared to the Cy5 for the TD-9. It also included an upgraded kick pad and a few other things in the brain that I had no use for. especially not for an additional $1800.00!!
First of all the brain of the Td-9 is amazing for a mid line V kit. The sound and tone from this kit is right up there with the TD-20. I dont think i've even scratched the surface of all the things that can be done with this kit. From tuning the drums with a push of a button, recording your own playing to the numerous built in songs that are on the kit. BTW... These songs have drum parts already included in the music but with a press of the 'Mute" button, your able to take their drums out and add your own to the song. Very creative. I would have to say that this brain is one of the best 'Teaching' brains i've played on. From time keeping with a click to using the "scope" mode and keeping in time by watching the measures that your playing. This brain is very well thought out. The menu is a breeze to operate and also has 2 extra plug ins if you decide to add another tom and cymbal later on.
The kit I bought was the TD-9SF which has the rubber tom pads as opposed to the mesh. I purchased the kit with the rubber pads not only because of the tremendous price difference ($1595.00 for rubber... $2095.00 for mesh) but also because the rubber pads give off the same stunning tone as the mesh. The only difference is the feel of the pads. That option is up to you. The cymbals are very aticulate and can be changed to any type of cymbal size imaginable. The HH pedal works better than I thought. Theres no delay or missed notes at all. The ONLY downfall to the entire kit is the Kick pad. Its Ok for single pedals but does not accomodate a double very well. It seems a little unsable while doing double kick work. The "sweet spot" on the kick pad is directly in the middle and if you do use a douple pedal, you'll need to adjust the sensitivity in the brain. this will braden the sweet spot somewhat so that you can use double pedals. Also, If I could figure out how to route the wires and cables through the stand like on the TD-20, I'd do it. It doesn't affect your play but having wires and cables Tie Strapped to the rack running back to the brain looks somewhat unprofessional and unclean... but what the heck, This thing stays here at home so no big deal for me.
I hope this helps in giving you somewhat of an idea about the TD-9. I could have spent more for a bigger more elaborate V kit but unless your doing alot of professional recording blah blah blah stuff, you rally don't need it.
As an addition, I also purchased Rolands KC 350 Drum/Keyboard amp to go along with the kit. Although I didn't buy it to annoy my neighbors but with 4 channels and at 120 watts it has no problem bringing pictures down off the wall with one thump of the kick pedal. Hope this helps in your decision and happy drumming! .... Jay
Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
I noticed your thread last week but decided to wait until this week to reply simply because my new TD-9 was to arrive on Friday last week and I think after 5 days of tinkering and learning the kit I'm able to give you somewhat of an overview of it. My intentions was to buy the TD-12 but after playing around on the TD-9 at G.C. I found out real quick that the TD-9 was no slouch and compared tremendously to the TD-12. Keep in mind that the 12 uses an upgraded HH ( VH11) as compared to the Cy5 for the TD-9. It also included an upgraded kick pad and a few other things in the brain that I had no use for. especially not for an additional $1800.00!!
First of all the brain of the Td-9 is amazing for a mid line V kit. The sound and tone from this kit is right up there with the TD-20. I dont think i've even scratched the surface of all the things that can be done with this kit. From tuning the drums with a push of a button, recording your own playing to the numerous built in songs that are on the kit. BTW... These songs have drum parts already included in the music but with a press of the 'Mute" button, your able to take their drums out and add your own to the song. Very creative. I would have to say that this brain is one of the best 'Teaching' brains i've played on. From time keeping with a click to using the "scope" mode and keeping in time by watching the measures that your playing. This brain is very well thought out. The menu is a breeze to operate and also has 2 extra plug ins if you decide to add another tom and cymbal later on.
The kit I bought was the TD-9SF which has the rubber tom pads as opposed to the mesh. I purchased the kit with the rubber pads not only because of the tremendous price difference ($1595.00 for rubber... $2095.00 for mesh) but also because the rubber pads give off the same stunning tone as the mesh. The only difference is the feel of the pads. That option is up to you. The cymbals are very aticulate and can be changed to any type of cymbal size imaginable. The HH pedal works better than I thought. Theres no delay or missed notes at all. The ONLY downfall to the entire kit is the Kick pad. Its Ok for single pedals but does not accomodate a double very well. It seems a little unsable while doing double kick work. The "sweet spot" on the kick pad is directly in the middle and if you do use a douple pedal, you'll need to adjust the sensitivity in the brain. this will braden the sweet spot somewhat so that you can use double pedals. Also, If I could figure out how to route the wires and cables through the stand like on the TD-20, I'd do it. It doesn't affect your play but having wires and cables Tie Strapped to the rack running back to the brain looks somewhat unprofessional and unclean... but what the heck, This thing stays here at home so no big deal for me.
I hope this helps in giving you somewhat of an idea about the TD-9. I could have spent more for a bigger more elaborate V kit but unless your doing alot of professional recording blah blah blah stuff, you rally don't need it.
As an addition, I also purchased Rolands KC 350 Drum/Keyboard amp to go along with the kit. Although I didn't buy it to annoy my neighbors but with 4 channels and at 120 watts it has no problem bringing pictures down off the wall with one thump of the kick pedal. Hope this helps in your decision and happy drumming! .... Jay

Thanks for that review....
I was very close to getting a TD12 but I think the TD9 has too much value thou the V-11 hat upgrade is needed IMO....

Have you used the USB stick to import wave files? I heard you can slow them down but I've also heard conflicting reports that you can't....you can only slow down the preset songs....

Do you know anything about this?

How cool would it be to play-along with a Buddy Rich tune and slow it down to a workable speed!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 PM

No I haven't used the USB yet. In fact, I haven't even gotten that far with this kit. It seems to me though that if you have incorporated the music from your USB into the drum brain, you should be able to slow the speed down as with the preloaded songs. Will have to try it out soon.