DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Evans Hydraulic Blue Tom Batter

Im looking to get some new heads for my Premier Genista kit and I was wondering if the Evans Hydraulic blue heads would be a good choice. Currently I have 2 ply Evans, but I was reading reviews online and found some people having complaints about tuning with the hydraulic blues. I was just wondering if any one has any experience with these and if they are just gimmicky and cool looking or actually decent heads.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans Hydraulic Blue Tom Batter

They're good heads, by which I mean they are a good quality product. Would I ever use them on my drums? No.
They'll cut the resonance of your toms in a similar way to taping cigarette packs (ala ringo style) to the heads.
I think they look cheesy too; stick with plain jane coatd or clear heads.
What's wrong with your current heads (G2s I'm assuming)? What sound are you after?
Personally, I'd stick with unmuffled single or double ply batters and single ply reso; coated or clear your choice.
Preferably coated single ply heads on both sides of every drum (excluding snare side head), but that's just me. I like drums to sound like drums, not necessarily the over-produced, uber-edited, close-mic'd sounds you hear on modern recordings.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 PM

Ick I didn't know they would sound like modern recordings (I have a little vendetta against the basic blah that CDs sound like now). I play in an alt metal band, so I suppose thats the sound Im going for but I like my drums to sound big, deep and tribal. I believe the heads I have now are infact G2s. Any suggestions for another kind of head?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:33 PM

I heard that the Hydraulics were like, the easiest heads to tune ever...

I played a Pro M kit with Hydraulics and it sounded good.

Lloyd.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM

i have them on my kit and church and thats where im going to keep them.

in the right situation i guess theyd work.
like if youll be mic'd or if you need to keep the sustain down.

if youll be playing unmic'd or have to play over a loud band id go with something unmuffled.
something like others suggested G2s or Emporers.

good luck.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

They're the deadest-sounding heads on the market. If you want that sound, they're for you.

It does seem ironic that drummers go to the trouble and expense of obtaining the most resonant drums they can, with modern mounting systems that let their drums sing, then slap on muffled heads to kill what they just paid for.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
They're the deadest-sounding heads on the market. If you want that sound, they're for you.

It does seem ironic that drummers go to the trouble and expense of obtaining the most resonant drums they can, with modern mounting systems that let their drums sing, then slap on muffled heads to kill what they just paid for.

Just sayin'.
It's funny, isn't it. I saw a picture of a keller DW with the combination of RIMS mounts, pinstripes and about 5+ moogel per tom.

I think I'm over it all now; I'm scanning eBay and the trading post for some 3 ply drums...
Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Pioneer Member

I wonder why they cant make say blue G1s? or any color really....
All you need are G1 coated heads top and bottoms. The drums will be warm sounding without that plastic overtones of clear heads
Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

the drum kit in my band's practice space has hydraulic heads on the toms. it belongs to the drummer in the other band that shares our space and he lets me use it for our practices. i think they sound ok if you like that kind of thing. they are very "thuddy" sounding and don't ring at all. they have no high pitched overtones whatsoever. they work fine in the practice space, but i would'nt want to use them live. they're just too dead.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:32 AM

I have been using them as resos under g1's.

Sounds awful on paper- but it's a really interesting sound. Really.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
It's funny, isn't it. I saw a picture of a keller DW with the combination of RIMS mounts, pinstripes and about 5+ moogel per tom.
what they said!!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

that's like drummers that say they prefer "virgin" kick drums because having mounted toms on the drum interferes with the sound of the kick and then they stuff pillows, blankets, foam, R-19 insulation, etc., into them!!!!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 06-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I wonder why they cant make say blue G1s? or any color really....
All you need are G1 coated heads top and bottoms. The drums will be warm sounding without that plastic overtones of clear heads
Coated single ply heads, top and bottom of all drums except for snare side head. Can't go past it. Ambassadors, G1s, Texture Coated... your choice.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Explore the Smooth White side

I'm running smooth white heads top & bottom, emps over ambs. The smooth white mylar has a lower fundamental than clear with fewer overtones. I did just resos first & there was still a noticeable darkening of the drums' tone under a variety of clear & coated batters.
My 3003s sound surprisingly muffled / dark with the smooth combo. I get lots of compliments on them but would probably go ambs over ambs if I were doing it again, to regain some openness.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 PM

i had bought some drums with them on it before and to me they have kind of a slap sound i personally use aquarian studio x on my toms cause no matter if you like high pitched or tuned low you can get a good sound from them
Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 PM

For awhile, I used one on my bass drum and was cool with the sound of that. I tried some on the toms, and, for me, they were too much. They led to a very dull, thudding sound with no overtones whatsoever. For a better tom sound, you'd be better with a two-ply coated head, such as a G2 or Emperor. An EC2 or Pinstripe will also take out some of the overtones without knocking the tone out completely.

Sonor S-Classix
Paiste Signature Dark Energy
Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 PM

I played once on a friend's kit back in the 80s when they were more popular than they are now. The sound is a fat thud - pretty good from behind the kit if you're into that deep, focused hard rock sound. But they project little/no tone. You're basically counting on the shell of the drum and the reso head alone to provide any tone or depth, because the thin film of oil between the plies arrests almost all resonance on the batter side. Stick response is minimal, too.

I haven't seen anyone using them in a long time...
Old 08-08-2008, 02:49 AM
lofus123

i tried them and i thought they were like playin on concrete! to each his own,though!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

Just sayin'.
I think that these were the heads which Steve Gadd had on the drums during the recording of Aja and, if so, would give you a good representation of what those heads will sound like. And like drumtecdad, I also find irony in the most resonant drum having the deadest heads on them. However, there are just some people who don't know how to run modern sound gear and demand to have the drums as dead as possible.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 08-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Just sayin'.
well its much better to do that than to try and squeeze resonance out of a dead shell. its much easier to get your desired tone when you start with the cleanest sound you can get. for example, my brother paid $1800 for a mesa guitar amp with amazing cleans on it, only to slap on a $90 distortion pedal...
Old 08-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

I remember first hearing these heads on a live drummer's set in the '70's (I was in junior high). I thought they were very cool - in the '70's.

The guy I'm talking about was miked and the popular sound had moved to dead sounding drums. I never ever completely warmed to that sound with the exception of Steve Gadd later in the decade.

There are so many more head choices today then there were back in the 70's. You also don't have the studio mindset today (for the most part) that was prevalent back then which was to deaden all resonance.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I would say, like others, use a more lively sound (tuned well) and maybe dampen a bit to taste. I would encourage all players considering Hydraulics to not base your sound goals on gated, compressed and EQ'd studio recordings (metal for example) or even live drum sounds. These drum timbres sound very different than the drums sound right on top of them.

There are a few applications where the Hydraulics might work.

The first would be if you plan on triggering samples across the board. Very ringy drums can cause false and double triggers so if you are going for total electronically sampled sound, these heads would work well.

The second would be if you are truly going for a retro, '70's sound in the studio. You want the sound of '70's studio drum kit - Evans Hydraulics are very effective (err....pay no attention to that 70's Bonham behind the curtain). But also keep in mind that many of these sounds were achieved by using coated Ambassadors or Emperors with blankets in single headed bass drums and feminine products taped to tom and snare heads. Even more than Evans Hydraulics being used.

Lastly, if you just love the sound of these heads and only plan on playing at home, then slap 'em on and enjoy. We play the funnest instrument in the world so if this is something that puts a smile on your face when you play, then go for it. Just be eyes open that any live gig, especially unmiked will be very different than at home.

Good luck and have fun with all the cool head choices and sounds we drummers have!

Jim
Old 08-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Depending on the music I am playing at the time and the set I am using them on I change head. I have one set that I use the clear Hydraulic as batter and G2 as reso. This gives me a fat wet sound with very little sustain I find this setup great for metal and punk live and studio work but they sure make you work if the band you are with likes busy drummers as the lack of sustain while playing faster music gets confused with less playing by a lot of people. But when you got a mic on them and want that deep fat wet sound they work well.