DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 AM

Default Drum Microphones

Can anyone recommend a budget to mid priced range of drum microphones say 5 or 7 piece set?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Microphones

Are you going to use them live or in the studio? Here's my suggestions...

You can't go wrong with Shure SM-57s on snare and toms, AKG D112 on kick, and a matched pair of small-diaphragm condensers for overheads.

For a good sound while still relatively cheap, Shure SM-57 on snare, Audix D-2 on rack toms, Audix D-4 on floor toms, Audix D-6 on kick, AKG C1000 as overheads.

Welcome to Drummerworld!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

SM-57's will sound good on everything (assuming the drums themselves sound good :) )

Even for overheads and the hat if you are on a budget.

You can get them usually under $100 each.

D-112 is a great bass drum mic in the studio and live.
It usually runs around $200.
The Shure Beta 52 is a popular kick mic, but I much prefer the D-112 over it.

The D-112 gives a more clear, & more natural sound IMO, but a lot of people like the 52.

Audix are also great mic's.
Micro-D and D-6 especially, but I don't know the prices of them.

Shure is a "standard" so you really can't "go wrong", and Audix mics are becoming one of the big dogs in mics because they perform so well, and get great sounds.

Both have mic packs, so check around shops and the net to get the best deal.

I would suggest getting them from a local shop if possible in case of any unexpected problems---doubtful of anything happening, but, you never know.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

I don't recommend the C1000, personally, they have a very spiky sound that's difficult to contend with in the mix. I've heard good things about the Rode M3, which costs about the same.

If you're really on a budget, look for vintage mics no-one else wants!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

I just recorded an album with (an increasing number) of Sterling Audio mics. they are new to the market, and therefore the cost is down and i can't comment on long term durability, but those things are freaking hot!!! I've fallen in love with them. I still kept an SM-57 on the snare and and a D-112 on the kick because sterling is only making condensers right now, but what they make are amazing, and for the price (and even for 10x the price) i've never heard a mic that can beat them.
And i have no affiliation with the company, I just love their sounds. When I mic'd a snare with them, the sound imo blew the 57 far out of the water, and with a bit of mic placement work I was able to gate enough of the ambient drums to get a great snare sound out of it. And the toms sounded so huge that we didn't even bother micing them.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Here's my suggestions...

For a good sound while still relatively cheap, Shure SM-57 on snare, Audix D-2 on rack toms, Audix D-4 on floor toms, Audix D-6 on kick, AKG C1000 as overheads.

Welcome to Drummerworld!
Yes..... I use the following Audix mic's:
i5 on snare, D2 on rack toms, D4 on floor toms, D6 on kick, AKG Perception 150 on hats, and adx51 as overheads. Reasonably priced with good sound live or recorded.

Last edited by golions; 05-31-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:32 PM

I have just recorded this past 2 weeks and the studio was trying some CAD stuff. They use earthworks ( not cheap at all ). I use all shures live. Well let me tell you the CAD mic sound awesome and they are cheap. Keep in mind that any Condenser mic will require phantom power some of newer beta mic's also require phantom power as they are condenser mics. Also keep in mind that a condenser mic doesn't mic the same as an other mic.

I think for a cheap mic the CAD's are the way to go. Don't get the cheaper set they get allot of bleed through but the better TSM411 and KBM412 sounded really good. I still wouldn't use them to record but a very good sound for a cheap mic kit. The ICM417 condenser have to be placed parallel to the floor to get a good sound.

STX, what are you looking for? Live sound or recording? and what is your price range? Some of the mic's that others listed are not cheap a SM 57 will run you about $100 for one. I'm not a big SM57 fan, for the price there are better mic's for a little more money. Like the Shure Beta 56A.

I use Shure Beta 98DS,Audio-Technica AE2500 and Shure Beta 98/S. This setup is not cheap.
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks for all your replies. First I'm not really sure what I want but you have given me some good pointers. I really should go for giging mics as the studio normally have these at the bands disposal. How much do I want to spend? Well I was tyhinking around 200-250 ($400-$500) for a set. Let me know if this is unrealistic.

And thanks again.

STX