DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Default Only one roommic

Hello,

I would like to record my drums in a decent quality (to give online lessons) but I don't want to buy a whole set of mics. What kind of mic could you recommend with a price range of 150 - 300 dollar. I guess I'll also need a pre-amp? Any suggestions about that are also welcome...

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Only one roommic

I'm guessing when ever i've had to mic up a drum kit without the proper mics when i did my sound stuff that decent vocal mics overhead (one each side) seem to get pretty good overall sound as long as they arnt too near to one cymbal.

But be interesting to see others replys.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Only one roommic

Buy yourself a basic interface with a preamp (around $150) and a decent quality mic. Something like a pair of AKG C3000's or C1000's or I suppose a single C3000 might be an option if you're not concerned about stereo imaging. One C3000 has a decent sized diaphragm that'll pick up a decent range. Vocals mics are a no-no and a typical beginner mistake. You want a condenser and an interface with phantom power. If you're using one microphone, a decent sounding room is vital and you'll probably need to treat the walls.