DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-02-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Phil Collins

Hello,

I'm pretty new here, I've only posted a few times.
One of my favorite drummers is Phil Collins...I love his work (drumming) with Genesis, as well as his solo stuff. Even the simple songs seem to have that "not as simple as it sounds" thing going on.
I haven't really seen much discussion about him here, and was just curious as to what others thought of his drumming.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Phil Collins

Great great drummer, also in Band X. He later brought always a drum conversation with Chester Thompson for all the pop fans, which is awesome I think. Nowadays I guess most pop acts don't do 20 minute instrumental jazz tunes with an extended drum solo - but Phil did!
He also was the drummer for Eric Clapton. Great groove and a great musical drummer - genius!
Old 02-07-2006, 03:53 PM

I am surprised not to see more comments on Phil Collins' work in this thread. So many pages on some other great drummers, and only two comments on Collins ?

I think we tend to forget how good a drummer he is, after all the success he had as a singer...

He is for sure one of my favorite drummers, and probably to me the ultimate "play for the song" player... He was great when the songs called for astonishing technique, subtle cymbals playing (the lamb lies down is such a great cymbal album...) , tasty fills, and his playing is still allways very impressive in the more "self-contained" format of his pop song days (which I don't care much about though...).

"A trick of the tail" alos has great drum parts... Robbery assault and battery - Dance on a volcano. There is so much energy in his playing...

A great player, and a great composer as well - allthough each sides of his carreer is aimed at a very very different public....
Old 02-07-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovehigh
Great great drummer, also in Band X. He later brought always a drum conversation with Chester Thompson for all the pop fans, which is awesome I think. Nowadays I guess most pop acts don't do 20 minute instrumental jazz tunes with an extended drum solo - but Phil did!
He also was the drummer for Eric Clapton. Great groove and a great musical drummer - genius!
i didnt know that he drummed for clapton but il also a huge fan of phil collions, have you heard any of his big band stuff?? they played at i think it was like the grammys or something last year, maybe it was the AMA's, but that is so sweet...i am completely stoked that he could do that...hes so cool...hes amazing!!!
tj
Old 02-07-2006, 04:32 PM

He can do big band , he can do jazz-fusion, odd-timed prog-rock, solid 4/4 pop...

His playing can be very light, as in the old Genesis days, or rock-solid as in "In the air tonight"

Allways just right for the song...

Oooohhh boy.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 PM

I love his Genesis work... Selling England By The Pound is one of my favorite records
Old 02-07-2006, 05:08 PM

Phil Collins' drumming on Eric Clapton's August album is excellent. His work with Genesis was great until that band lost their soul (Abacab forward until their I Can't Dance spiral of death.) As for his solo work...um, yeah, uh...never mind.

TOMANO
Old 02-07-2006, 05:27 PM

On his own stuff he is wonderful I love Genesis, however he did go through a somewhat large ego phase.

During Live Aid he was playing with Led Zep and he totally missed the whole style of the songs, Robert Plant was ******* annoyed, and claimed the whole thing was a Phil Collins pr stunt.

Again when he played with Queen at the Party at the palace a few years ago he played in his own style and changed how the song felt, and that was Radio Ga Ga!!!! pretty difficult to screw up wouldn't you say!

Don't get me wrong I love him in his own world but when it comes to playing with others he seems to miss the point and play what he wants.

Led Zep never forgave him for it, it wrecked Live Aid for them, and there were lots of heated comments after the show, or so the story goes.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togg
During Live Aid he was playing with Led Zep and he totally missed the whole style of the songs, Robert Plant was ******* annoyed, and claimed the whole thing was a Phil Collins pr stunt.
Wasn't aware of those incidents.... But I can imagine he does have some ego...hard for me to imagine him out of style on a song though.

I found that the work he did on Robert Plant's solo album "Principle of moments" was pretty good, though not among his best....
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Phil Collins, what an awesome career. Check out the Genesis Live album from 1973 And Phil driving a round badge Gretch 4 piece kit. And his Brand X stuff is just awesome. Perfect example of a guy who can do a balancing act. re-invent himself a few times. Be a pop star in one arena and do a whole prog-rock thing somewhere else. And when I saw him in 1994 he was still using concert toms, long after those have fallen out of fashion. Bravo. As far as the Page/Plant thang, just another case of ego's butting. Page did the Puff Daddy/Godzilla soundtrack song. Page/Plant did the Un-Ledded middle-eastern meets orchestra thing. And Phil gets called the "bad guy" for changing the vibe. It's only music people, no one gets hurt.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás
I love his Genesis work... Selling England By The Pound is one of my favorite records
Great record! Used to love to play along to that last cut, "Aisle of Plenty". So many great licks and it's amazing how the song builds so beautifully to it's climax. A masterpiece with some of P. Gabriel's best work also.

Ditto for "Moroccan Roll" by Brand X.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:45 PM

Selling England by the pound ?

One could also note the snare work on "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight"... Great dynamics !
Old 02-20-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle
Wasn't aware of those incidents.... But I can imagine he does have some ego...hard for me to imagine him out of style on a song though.

I found that the work he did on Robert Plant's solo album "Principle of moments" was pretty good, though not among his best....
That was a good album, but I thought Phil sounding much better on Robert Plant's debut solo album. Is was heavier and not far from Plant's Zep style. Phil did a great job on that album!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I thought Phil sounding much better on Robert Plant's debut solo album.
I like this one also. Cozy Powell also plays some songs on it.

Worse than Detroit has great drumming.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:51 PM

I have a huge amount of respect for Phil Collins. Anyone that can sing lead vocals and play drums and still pull off some great fills at the same time is highly skilled. You have to also respect the man that wrote "In The Air Tonight". What a great tune, it has still held it's popularity even today. When that famous tom fill kicks in the hair on the back of my neck stands up! Brilliant!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:52 AM

My Mom was at the first Genesis concert that Phil sang at. If anyone can tell me were it was I'll give them 1 000 000 cyberdollars.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:00 AM

'Firt of Fifth' in it's studio (Selling England By The Pound), and various live versions has some of my fave drumming, which is unmistakeably Phil's.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Pioneer Member

I'm more familiar with his drumming with Genesis, and I don't really think I need to touch on the huge success of his solo career. My mom worshipped that man in the 80's...moving on! SEBTP is one my fav albums, Dance on a Volcano is a good example of his ability and technique. Very powerful yet subtle.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:30 PM

I never knew how much Phil can swing a big band until I got the Salute to Buddy Rich Video
Old 03-03-2006, 06:47 AM

I think Phil Collins is a more good singer than a drummer, but a great drummer too.

Last edited by DogBreath; 04-21-2006 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Edited to correct spelling
Old 03-03-2006, 07:08 AM

For many - before there was the prog-drumming god Neil Peart, there was Phil Collins.

During the 70's Phil would regularly top out (or come close) on 'best drummer' polls by both drummers and regular folk. It was only later in Genesis' post Peter Gabriel career that it became obvious that Phil was more interested in being a singer (at least live), and his drumming star began to wane . . . . . . .
Old 03-12-2006, 02:12 AM

Hi, Genesis & PC fans. I want to know if there is any official concert DVD(s) out there that actually have Phil Collins playing on the drums throughout the entire show?

PS- Can any of you play any Genesis/PC stuff on drums?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:26 AM

I saw Phil with Quincy Jones on a TV Show a few years back and he was outstanding
Great Drummer and singer
Old 04-03-2006, 06:54 PM

Phil Collins is one of drumming's best kept secrets. He's way under-rated as a drummer in my opinion. Most people know him for his singing. I remember an article RS did on him a ways back and he was asked what part of his music he enjoyed the most. Without hesitation, he said "drumming".

He toured with his own jazz band until recently. He was diagnosed with "Sudden Deafness Syndrome" in one of his ears. It sidelined him for a little while but he released a DVD a little while ago entitled "The First Farewell Tour" with Chester Thompson backing him up. They, along with Luis Conte, were brilliant in the opening track .

Last edited by doublestrokeroll; 04-03-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
On his own stuff he is wonderful I love Genesis, however he did go through a somewhat large ego phase.

Again when he played with Queen at the Party at the palace a few years ago he played in his own style and changed how the song felt, and that was Radio Ga Ga!!!! pretty difficult to screw up wouldn't you say!

Don't get me wrong I love him in his own world but when it comes to playing with others he seems to miss the point and play what he wants.

Led Zep never forgave him for it, it wrecked Live Aid for them, and there were lots of heated comments after the show, or so the story goes.
i wasnt really satisfied with the live aid at all...it kind of made me depressed to see my favorite band in that condition. Page's dexterity dropped dramatically and his riffs were really messy. Plant messed up on stairway.,...he came into the last verse too early which messed the band up. Then they had 2 drummers, one of which being phil collins which i agree...he messed up the whole set trying to add in his own stuff. Its a shame he did this. Plant should have invited jason bonham to fill in for his dad because it would have been much more fitting. Im watching stairway now from live aid and im wondering what is he doing....hes putting fills in, in the guitar solo which ruins it making its a big jumbled mess. And on the last verse it just pisses me off with those stupid fills.....and has anyone ever heard the When the levee breaks performance with neil young....the way the whole band arranged that song killed it too.....but im still hoping for a zeppelin reunion with jason bonham and not phil collins...lol
Old 04-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Because Phil Collins has done some fairly uninteresting and banal solo projects it has become too easy to discount his drumming prowess. There are still few drummers that are instantly identifiable by their sound and their technique. Phil Collins is clearly one of them; you can tell it is him from the first four bars. Not only did he develop his own sound (something incredibly hard to do) but he developed a technique which is the envy of many who listen closely.

I confess I listen to him less now than when I was young but he was one of the reasons I learned to play. After taking lessons for several years I became a Genesis fan. I would practise to Seconds Out every day (we are talking back in about 1978 ish) until I could play my way through the whole album (pausing in the middle to put the second LP on - I know what a strange concept that is to many who post here!). Several years later I went back and actually learned some of the songs rather than just playing along - and they are complicated, inventive and tight!

In the middle 1980's I was lucky to meet him after a show at the Manchester Apollo. Setting aside the awkwardness of meeting someone after a show, when they are in their own element - he was gracious and supportive and seemed genuinely interested in taking drums.

On Drummerworld we don't knock Ringo and we don't knock Charlie - for the same reasons (and for some different ones) we shouldn't knock Phil!

Paul
Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Quin

On Drummerworld we don't knock Ringo and we don't knock Charlie - for the same reasons (and for some different ones) we shouldn't knock Phil!

Paul

well when he ruined probably the greatest live rock song by the biggest rock group of the 70's and in front of one of the biggest concert crouds ever by putting mindless fills in and ruining the feel of zep songs by doing what he wanted instead of how bonham wrote it then hes not gonna be unspoken of
Old 05-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
well when he ruined probably the greatest live rock song by the biggest rock group of the 70's and in front of one of the biggest concert crouds ever by putting mindless fills in and ruining the feel of zep songs by doing what he wanted instead of how bonham wrote it then hes not gonna be unspoken of
Playing drums isn't about playing something perfect its about having fun and making things your own i haven't seen it but i bet he made a great job of it but shouldnt be slated for not playing it the way Bonham played it!

Too many people over-rate Bonham as rocks best drummer he isnt!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1
Playing drums isn't about playing something perfect its about having fun and making things your own i haven't seen it but i bet he made a great job of it but shouldnt be slated for not playing it the way Bonham played it!

Too many people over-rate Bonham as rocks best drummer he isnt!
That's true to an extent, however on this occasion he was there to do a job, and as far as the crowd and the band were concerned that job was to bring Led Zep back out firing on all 4 cylinders as we remember them. Sadly Phil Collins didn't understand that and decided to make it 'he's own' Not what ANY Led Zep fan wanted!

And certainly not what Plant and Page wanted by all accounts!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:47 PM

Ok my comment won't solve the "Led Zepp" playing issue, but Collins is a great artist and even though not being a great fan of genesis, his drumming was awekwardly interesting during the P. Gabriel years.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Totally, I'm not knocking his playing on his own stuff, in fact Genesis has always been very high on my play list, I just don't like him doing the 'standin drummer' bit because I always find the man takes over from the drumming.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Totally, I'm not knocking his playing on his own stuff, in fact Genesis has always been very high on my play list, I just don't like him doing the 'standin drummer' bit because I always find the man takes over from the drumming.
....I get what you mean he always likes people to talk about his drumming and the fact that he plays drums etc etc he also stated that a good band can be recognised by his drummer or something like that...any ways he's apparently very proud about drums and drumming and him being able to play drums so the point is, whenever he's behind his kit the guy want's to show that he's a drummer héhé....ok this didn't bring us anywhere but I just had to put it down
Old 05-09-2006, 05:14 PM

what live aid dvd is that? i cant seem to find it on cdon.com.. well i can find it but led zeppelin is not on play list..

ps.. phil collins great drummer.. just purchased the live dvd with him and eric clapton..
Old 05-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

I think not only does he want to show that he is a drummer but hes been playin drums since he was 5 in fact his first kit was home made by his dad and i think although i havent read much about him, that he likes to show what he can do because he likes to think his dad would be proud of him especially what he has achieved over these many years from where he first started.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:00 PM

From a 1986 interview :

PLAYBOY: But your first love

COLLINS: Is drumming, right.

He just likes to play drums. After all he's done behind a kit, at the various stage of his carreer, he doesn't need to "show" he can plays drums.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal drummer
what live aid dvd is that? i cant seem to find it on cdon.com.. well i can find it but led zeppelin is not on play list..

ps.. phil collins great drummer.. just purchased the live dvd with him and eric clapton..
It was the original Live Aid. You'd be very lucky to find footage of Phil playing with Zeppelin, Zeppelin prohibited the release of the footage.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
It was the original Live Aid. You'd be very lucky to find footage of Phil playing with Zeppelin, Zeppelin prohibited the release of the footage.

just go to youtube.com or download it on limewire.......i downloaded the whole zeppelin footage with rock and roll, whole lotta love, and stairway to heaven....definatly not zeppelins best performance at all
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 PM

okay got it :)

but in this version phil and a another drummer plays?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal drummer
okay got it :)

but in this version phil and a another drummer plays?
If my memory serves me right it was the late great Tony Thompson, who also played at Live Aid with The Power Station (with Michael Des Barres rather than the also late and great Robert Palmer).

Paul
Old 05-12-2006, 02:09 AM

okay but i think he also does some of fillings.. at one point phil just looks and laugh towards him