DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default My Peavey 500 drum-set

Hello, Colleagues.

See below pictures of my Peavey 500 drum-set.

Features:
12 x 10 in. Tom with 12 lugs
13 x 11 in. Tom with 12 lugs
16 x 16 in. Floor Tom with 12 lugs
22 x 14 in. Bass Drum with 16 lugs
14 x 6.5 in. Deep Metal Snare drum with 6 lugs (chrome finish)

14 in. Hi-Hat Cymbals
16 in. Crash/Ride Cymbal

Shell material: 9-Ply Basswood

Note: My drum-set is an intermediate level, nevertheless, I am really proud of it.

All the Best!
Attached Images
    
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.

Last edited by Ian Williams; 12-30-2009 at 05:39 AM. Reason: managing pictures
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-27-2008, 03:33 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Nice little set there. What do you play?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Hello, Deathmetalconga.

I appreciate your comments.
I play a diversity of rock music and drummers such as: William Ward/Black Sabbath, Ian Paice/Deep Purple, Cozy Powell, John Tempesta, Keith Moon/The Who, Roger Taylor/Queen. My drumming is plain and simple, try to keep a clean sound with some combinations and further.

Thanks & Regards!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 AM
bojangleman's Avatar
bojangleman bojangleman is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

nice set man! i play a set like that at gigs i play friday nights..

a lil advice, try pulling the rack toms in a little closer and together...makes it a whole lot easier to play...especially with the music you play!

Alex
__________________
Band:
http://www.myspace.com/springloadedcomeback
Add Us!
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Good day, bojangleman.

Thanks a lot, for sharing your knowledge.

All the Best,

Ian

Last edited by Ian Williams; 05-27-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
stasz's Avatar
stasz stasz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois, US
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Needless to say I don't think anyone will be asking for more specs on the kit! You have some pretty great inspirations for your playing. Cozy lives!
__________________
"If you think you're more important than the drums, you've got another thing coming." -Tony Williams
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Hi, youenjoy00myself.

Thanks a lot, fellow.

Ian
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 AM
-Nirvana- -Nirvana- is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: little town in Canada
Posts: 177
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

hey your kit is like the same kit i have but i have mine is in silver! i only us one rack tom on a pearl clamp!! How u like the sound?
__________________
Hardcore,Metalcore,Hardcore/punk,punk,death metal are my fav. genres.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Hello, Nirvana.

The sound is clean and clear. I adjusted it in a way that I can hear the difference between the bass drum, snare and toms.

Regards,

Ian
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Muffled Tom's Avatar
Muffled Tom Muffled Tom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 321
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

I first read My Peave 500-piece drum-set and i was like WHOA.
__________________
My favorite bands: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Red Hot Chili Peppers
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
nice set man! i play a set like that at gigs i play friday nights..

a lil advice, try pulling the rack toms in a little closer and together...makes it a whole lot easier to play...especially with the music you play!

Alex
Why is it so often considered undesirable to have a big gap between the rack toms, but OK to have a big gap between the rack and floor toms? Buddy Rich and John Bonham, for example, had big gaps between their rack and floor toms, but likely no one recommended they make them closer together. If you take a step back from it, a large gap or sharp drop-off between ANY toms is undesirable, but only between certain drums do people consider it something to be avoided.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Mr. Pasquini's Avatar
Mr. Pasquini Mr. Pasquini is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: High Point, NC (USA)
Posts: 1,222
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Why is it so often considered undesirable to have a big gap between the rack toms, but OK to have a big gap between the rack and floor toms? Buddy Rich and John Bonham, for example, had big gaps between their rack and floor toms, but likely no one recommended they make them closer together. If you take a step back from it, a large gap or sharp drop-off between ANY toms is undesirable, but only between certain drums do people consider it something to be avoided.
It's far easier to avoid a gap between rack toms, thus it's considered wrong to leave them apart. It's really just not feasable on most setups to have the floors right with the racks.
__________________
-Ian
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 PM
trysthedrummer's Avatar
trysthedrummer trysthedrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whistler, Canada
Posts: 309
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

I had the Peavey Internation II kit before my starclassics and there was no way, especially with those arms that you could possibly move them in closer, even so, they'd be too high!
__________________
www.myspace.com/trystanberwick
"Perfect practice makes perfect"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Hi, fellows.

I appreciate your comments, perhaps they are all welcome, this is all about sharing our knowledge to improve our drumming and styles.

All the Best!
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM
bojangleman's Avatar
bojangleman bojangleman is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

because people choose to have their toms far apart like that. (ex: John Bonham or Buddy Rich) but the reason i told him that(only as advice...didnt have to do it..) it cause it makes playing alot easier, and keeps your heads alot nicer.

another reason, i thought he might be new at drumming, and setting up his drums might be new to him...so i was giving him tips...he might not be new, and if he wants his toms like that...that is great!

and its possible to mount them closer together...i play the same kit and that is how i have it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Why is it so often considered undesirable to have a big gap between the rack toms, but OK to have a big gap between the rack and floor toms? Buddy Rich and John Bonham, for example, had big gaps between their rack and floor toms, but likely no one recommended they make them closer together. If you take a step back from it, a large gap or sharp drop-off between ANY toms is undesirable, but only between certain drums do people consider it something to be avoided.
Alex
__________________
Band:
http://www.myspace.com/springloadedcomeback
Add Us!
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
It's far easier to avoid a gap between rack toms, thus it's considered wrong to leave them apart. It's really just not feasable on most setups to have the floors right with the racks.
I see plenty of setups where the racks and floors are all close together. I have to admit, it does look kind of screwy to see a big gap in the rack toms, while floor toms are usually lower and the gap is harder to see.

Objectively, though, a large gap between the floor and rack is no better or worse than a large gap between the racks. I just find it odd that many great sets have a large gap between toms and no one points it out unless that gap is between the rack toms. There are some sets where the floors are at the same level as the racks, or make a graceful arc with the racks, and there is no clear distinction between floors and racks in these sets.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 PM
stasz's Avatar
stasz stasz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois, US
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I see plenty of setups where the racks and floors are all close together. I have to admit, it does look kind of screwy to see a big gap in the rack toms, while floor toms are usually lower and the gap is harder to see.

Objectively, though, a large gap between the floor and rack is no better or worse than a large gap between the racks. I just find it odd that many great sets have a large gap between toms and no one points it out unless that gap is between the rack toms. There are some sets where the floors are at the same level as the racks, or make a graceful arc with the racks, and there is no clear distinction between floors and racks in these sets.
In my opinion, setting up with all toms at the same playing height doesn't seem to be so popular because it is not as practical and or compact as setting up with a distinction between rack toms and floor toms. Ultimately I don't worry about these types of things because it's not difficult to overcome any problems in a conventional setup. I can practice playing patterns between the toms that are over the bass drum and the toms that are at my snare drum's height with no problem. Of course, setting up a drum set is totally subjective to what is most comfortable to you and your playing style-- after all, DMC, your ride cymbal position is evidence of that-- and I personally don't have a problem with a gap between toms.
__________________
"If you think you're more important than the drums, you've got another thing coming." -Tony Williams
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Hello, colleagues.

An interesting healthy debate among us.
I think we must adapt our drum-sets to our skills/strengths and viceversa.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 PM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

if you don't like getting slated a lot, i advise you not to post a video on youtube showcasing this kit you will get ripped to hell.
Enough of that, your kit, for me, wouldn't be a very good set up because i prefer to have my toms pretty close together and not so, all..... diagonal like.
but if it is comfortable for you, it is great.
what are your actual cymbal specs?
EDIT: i realised that they are the peavey stocks??
you need to replace them IMO
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Cboy21593 Cboy21593 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: I live in Lilongwe, Malawi, in Africa.
Posts: 3
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Hey Lewisn27

I'm an experienced drummer and I've played on a tama kit for years with sabian cymbals, but then i bought a peavey 500 set and I've continued to use the stock crash/ride, it has a pronounced bell and a crisp tone, so it acts well as a ride, but it also delivers a deep dark crash sound... so you don't neccessarily have to dump the cymbals cause they're stock, they're actually more versatile than most cymbals... Great kit Ian... I have one, i just put some remo pinstripe batter heads on, i kept the peavey resonant heads cause they're nice and thin and give me some crisp overtones....
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 AM
ibernalq's Avatar
ibernalq ibernalq is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I live in Lima
Posts: 232
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Why dont you try some pinstripes on your toms??? an opinion... enjoy it...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

I fully agree on your comment.
I still use the stock (14" hi-hat, 16" crash/ride) cymbals, nothing wrong with it at all and they do the job very well, love the dark sound close as the Paiste Giant Beat. I don't seek for expensive brands, makes on cymbals due to I can't afford to buy them. Slowly but surely, I am upgrading my kit.....Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy21593 View Post
Hey Lewisn27

I'm an experienced drummer and I've played on a tama kit for years with sabian cymbals, but then i bought a peavey 500 set and I've continued to use the stock crash/ride, it has a pronounced bell and a crisp tone, so it acts well as a ride, but it also delivers a deep dark crash sound... so you don't neccessarily have to dump the cymbals cause they're stock, they're actually more versatile than most cymbals... Great kit Ian... I have one, i just put some remo pinstripe batter heads on, i kept the peavey resonant heads cause they're nice and thin and give me some crisp overtones....
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

I have that in mind. Either Remo, Evans, Aquarian batter heads and as Cboy21593 stated, Peavey resonant heads are nice to be kept.
By the way, I have MoonGel damper pads on my batter heads, they work perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibernalq View Post
Why dont you try some pinstripes on your toms??? an opinion... enjoy it...
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

I have modified the original 5-piece to 4-piece configuration (1 tom up / 1 tom down).
I really feel comfortable with the actual space and freedom to move around the kit and to crash/ride the 18" cymbal....Any comments are welcome?
Attached Images
   
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
pearlygates's Avatar
pearlygates pearlygates is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Rock on brother! Your love of playing drums is shining through IMO
__________________
DRUMLESSWORSHIP DRUMMERS UNION
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:09 PM
jdrummys jdrummys is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 88
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

congratulations on your first kit young man...it's a SPIFFY one...nice and shiny, and you even have a couple cymbals with it I see.. Now dont hurt yourself on that!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,200
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
I have modified the original 5-piece to 4-piece configuration (1 tom up / 1 tom down).
I really feel comfortable with the actual space and freedom to move around the kit and to crash/ride the 18" cymbal....Any comments are welcome?
Ian it's crazy but I played a standard 5-piece for years from 10 yrs. of age until about 25 yrs & then I went strictly 4-piece like yourself & never looked back having the ride closer just felt more comfortable less stuff too haul around plus everybody can see me better I don't. if that's a good or bad thing LOL

and always remember Ian "It's. not what drums you have it's how you play what drums you have" a good drummer can make a tin can sound good.

all the best,
Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Thank you - brother, your encouragement fills me up to continue playing.
That's one of the strongest reasons I really like (love maybe) - John Henry Bonham, as much as you do. You know something, with the 4-piece set - I have that nice and smooth control on the drums without overcoming them! Keep it like that, it's real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Ian it's crazy but I played a standard 5-piece for years from 10 yrs. of age until about 25 yrs & then I went strictly 4-piece like yourself & never looked back having the ride closer just felt more comfortable less stuff too haul around plus everybody can see me better I don't. if that's a good or bad thing LOL

and always remember Ian "It's. not what drums you have it's how you play what drums you have" a good drummer can make a tin can sound good.

all the best,
Bonzolead
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

I really appreciate your support, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygates View Post
Rock on brother! Your love of playing drums is shining through IMO
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Thanks, mate!
It's a Peavey 500, I love its bright and powerful clean sound...I will take care crashing the cymbals - thanks for reminded me - I was fixing myself to crash them with my hands just as John Bonham!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrummys View Post
congratulations on your first kit young man...it's a SPIFFY one...nice and shiny, and you even have a couple cymbals with it I see.. Now dont hurt yourself on that!
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com