DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Rebel

Default My Peavey 500 drum-set

Hello, Colleagues.

See below pictures of my Peavey 500 drum-set.

Features:
12 x 10 in. Tom with 12 lugs
13 x 11 in. Tom with 12 lugs
16 x 16 in. Floor Tom with 12 lugs
22 x 14 in. Bass Drum with 16 lugs
14 x 6.5 in. Deep Metal Snare drum with 6 lugs (chrome finish)

14 in. Hi-Hat Cymbals
16 in. Crash/Ride Cymbal

Shell material: 9-Ply Basswood

Note: My drum-set is an intermediate level, nevertheless, I am really proud of it.

All the Best!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian Williams; 12-30-2009 at 05:39 AM. Reason: managing pictures
Old 05-27-2008, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My Peavey 500 drum-set

Nice little set there. What do you play?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Rebel

Hello, Deathmetalconga.

I appreciate your comments.
I play a diversity of rock music and drummers such as: William Ward/Black Sabbath, Ian Paice/Deep Purple, Cozy Powell, John Tempesta, Keith Moon/The Who, Roger Taylor/Queen. My drumming is plain and simple, try to keep a clean sound with some combinations and further.

Thanks & Regards!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

nice set man! i play a set like that at gigs i play friday nights..

a lil advice, try pulling the rack toms in a little closer and together...makes it a whole lot easier to play...especially with the music you play!

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 05-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Rebel

Good day, bojangleman.

Thanks a lot, for sharing your knowledge.

All the Best,

Ian

Last edited by Ian Williams; 05-27-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Needless to say I don't think anyone will be asking for more specs on the kit! You have some pretty great inspirations for your playing. Cozy lives!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Rebel

Hi, youenjoy00myself.

Thanks a lot, fellow.

Ian
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 AM

hey your kit is like the same kit i have but i have mine is in silver! i only us one rack tom on a pearl clamp!! How u like the sound?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Rebel

Hello, Nirvana.

The sound is clean and clear. I adjusted it in a way that I can hear the difference between the bass drum, snare and toms.

Regards,

Ian
Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 AM

I first read My Peave 500-piece drum-set and i was like WHOA.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
nice set man! i play a set like that at gigs i play friday nights..

a lil advice, try pulling the rack toms in a little closer and together...makes it a whole lot easier to play...especially with the music you play!

Alex
Why is it so often considered undesirable to have a big gap between the rack toms, but OK to have a big gap between the rack and floor toms? Buddy Rich and John Bonham, for example, had big gaps between their rack and floor toms, but likely no one recommended they make them closer together. If you take a step back from it, a large gap or sharp drop-off between ANY toms is undesirable, but only between certain drums do people consider it something to be avoided.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Why is it so often considered undesirable to have a big gap between the rack toms, but OK to have a big gap between the rack and floor toms? Buddy Rich and John Bonham, for example, had big gaps between their rack and floor toms, but likely no one recommended they make them closer together. If you take a step back from it, a large gap or sharp drop-off between ANY toms is undesirable, but only between certain drums do people consider it something to be avoided.
It's far easier to avoid a gap between rack toms, thus it's considered wrong to leave them apart. It's really just not feasable on most setups to have the floors right with the racks.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 PM

I had the Peavey Internation II kit before my starclassics and there was no way, especially with those arms that you could possibly move them in closer, even so, they'd be too high!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Rebel

Hi, fellows.

I appreciate your comments, perhaps they are all welcome, this is all about sharing our knowledge to improve our drumming and styles.

All the Best!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

because people choose to have their toms far apart like that. (ex: John Bonham or Buddy Rich) but the reason i told him that(only as advice...didnt have to do it..) it cause it makes playing alot easier, and keeps your heads alot nicer.

another reason, i thought he might be new at drumming, and setting up his drums might be new to him...so i was giving him tips...he might not be new, and if he wants his toms like that...that is great!

and its possible to mount them closer together...i play the same kit and that is how i have it...

Quote:
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
It's far easier to avoid a gap between rack toms, thus it's considered wrong to leave them apart. It's really just not feasable on most setups to have the floors right with the racks.
I see plenty of setups where the racks and floors are all close together. I have to admit, it does look kind of screwy to see a big gap in the rack toms, while floor toms are usually lower and the gap is harder to see.

Objectively, though, a large gap between the floor and rack is no better or worse than a large gap between the racks. I just find it odd that many great sets have a large gap between toms and no one points it out unless that gap is between the rack toms. There are some sets where the floors are at the same level as the racks, or make a graceful arc with the racks, and there is no clear distinction between floors and racks in these sets.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I see plenty of setups where the racks and floors are all close together. I have to admit, it does look kind of screwy to see a big gap in the rack toms, while floor toms are usually lower and the gap is harder to see.

Objectively, though, a large gap between the floor and rack is no better or worse than a large gap between the racks. I just find it odd that many great sets have a large gap between toms and no one points it out unless that gap is between the rack toms. There are some sets where the floors are at the same level as the racks, or make a graceful arc with the racks, and there is no clear distinction between floors and racks in these sets.
In my opinion, setting up with all toms at the same playing height doesn't seem to be so popular because it is not as practical and or compact as setting up with a distinction between rack toms and floor toms. Ultimately I don't worry about these types of things because it's not difficult to overcome any problems in a conventional setup. I can practice playing patterns between the toms that are over the bass drum and the toms that are at my snare drum's height with no problem. Of course, setting up a drum set is totally subjective to what is most comfortable to you and your playing style-- after all, DMC, your ride cymbal position is evidence of that-- and I personally don't have a problem with a gap between toms.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Rebel

Hello, colleagues.

An interesting healthy debate among us.
I think we must adapt our drum-sets to our skills/strengths and viceversa.

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 PM
lewisn27

if you don't like getting slated a lot, i advise you not to post a video on youtube showcasing this kit you will get ripped to hell.
Enough of that, your kit, for me, wouldn't be a very good set up because i prefer to have my toms pretty close together and not so, all..... diagonal like.
but if it is comfortable for you, it is great.
what are your actual cymbal specs?
EDIT: i realised that they are the peavey stocks??
you need to replace them IMO
Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 AM

Hey Lewisn27

I'm an experienced drummer and I've played on a tama kit for years with sabian cymbals, but then i bought a peavey 500 set and I've continued to use the stock crash/ride, it has a pronounced bell and a crisp tone, so it acts well as a ride, but it also delivers a deep dark crash sound... so you don't neccessarily have to dump the cymbals cause they're stock, they're actually more versatile than most cymbals... Great kit Ian... I have one, i just put some remo pinstripe batter heads on, i kept the peavey resonant heads cause they're nice and thin and give me some crisp overtones....
Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 AM

Why dont you try some pinstripes on your toms??? an opinion... enjoy it...
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Rebel

I fully agree on your comment.
I still use the stock (14" hi-hat, 16" crash/ride) cymbals, nothing wrong with it at all and they do the job very well, love the dark sound close as the Paiste Giant Beat. I don't seek for expensive brands, makes on cymbals due to I can't afford to buy them. Slowly but surely, I am upgrading my kit.....Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy21593 View Post
Hey Lewisn27

I'm an experienced drummer and I've played on a tama kit for years with sabian cymbals, but then i bought a peavey 500 set and I've continued to use the stock crash/ride, it has a pronounced bell and a crisp tone, so it acts well as a ride, but it also delivers a deep dark crash sound... so you don't neccessarily have to dump the cymbals cause they're stock, they're actually more versatile than most cymbals... Great kit Ian... I have one, i just put some remo pinstripe batter heads on, i kept the peavey resonant heads cause they're nice and thin and give me some crisp overtones....
Old 12-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Rebel

I have that in mind. Either Remo, Evans, Aquarian batter heads and as Cboy21593 stated, Peavey resonant heads are nice to be kept.
By the way, I have MoonGel damper pads on my batter heads, they work perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibernalq View Post
Why dont you try some pinstripes on your toms??? an opinion... enjoy it...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Rebel

I have modified the original 5-piece to 4-piece configuration (1 tom up / 1 tom down).
I really feel comfortable with the actual space and freedom to move around the kit and to crash/ride the 18" cymbal....Any comments are welcome?
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Gold Member

Rock on brother! Your love of playing drums is shining through IMO
Old 12-30-2009, 05:09 PM

congratulations on your first kit young man...it's a SPIFFY one...nice and shiny, and you even have a couple cymbals with it I see.. Now dont hurt yourself on that!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
I have modified the original 5-piece to 4-piece configuration (1 tom up / 1 tom down).
I really feel comfortable with the actual space and freedom to move around the kit and to crash/ride the 18" cymbal....Any comments are welcome?
Ian it's crazy but I played a standard 5-piece for years from 10 yrs. of age until about 25 yrs & then I went strictly 4-piece like yourself & never looked back having the ride closer just felt more comfortable less stuff too haul around plus everybody can see me better I don't. if that's a good or bad thing LOL

and always remember Ian "It's. not what drums you have it's how you play what drums you have" a good drummer can make a tin can sound good.

all the best,
Bonzolead
Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Rebel

Thank you - brother, your encouragement fills me up to continue playing.
That's one of the strongest reasons I really like (love maybe) - John Henry Bonham, as much as you do. You know something, with the 4-piece set - I have that nice and smooth control on the drums without overcoming them! Keep it like that, it's real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Ian it's crazy but I played a standard 5-piece for years from 10 yrs. of age until about 25 yrs & then I went strictly 4-piece like yourself & never looked back having the ride closer just felt more comfortable less stuff too haul around plus everybody can see me better I don't. if that's a good or bad thing LOL

and always remember Ian "It's. not what drums you have it's how you play what drums you have" a good drummer can make a tin can sound good.

all the best,
Bonzolead
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Rebel

I really appreciate your support, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygates View Post
Rock on brother! Your love of playing drums is shining through IMO
Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Rebel

Thanks, mate!
It's a Peavey 500, I love its bright and powerful clean sound...I will take care crashing the cymbals - thanks for reminded me - I was fixing myself to crash them with my hands just as John Bonham!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrummys View Post
congratulations on your first kit young man...it's a SPIFFY one...nice and shiny, and you even have a couple cymbals with it I see.. Now dont hurt yourself on that!