DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Default NEW Axis.....

New Axis Sonic Hammer stainless steel shafts are out, in and....... on.

In responce to broken and bent stockers (I've bent acouple, but never broken) Axis releases stainless steel SH-beater shafts. They feel more balanced/precise (IMO). Same length and diameter as hardened steel stockers. Axis claims their (standard) hardened steel shafts are just as strong as the new ss, go figure. SS won't get rusty after awhile like the black steel stockers, a plus there.

The ss' are pretty, would look sweet on the black Axis pedals. Below New SS, stock h-steel and old(er) rusty stock.
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 05-25-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: NEW Axis.....

are they as heavy as the regular SH's?

My biggest draw back on them was getting dinged on the top of the foot by the dart-like tail of the hammer coming back on the return swing. After only a couple of those painful bruises, I went to regular beaters...
Old 05-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
are they as heavy as the regular SH's?

My biggest draw back on them was getting dinged on the top of the foot by the dart-like tail of the hammer coming back on the return swing. After only a couple of those painful bruises, I went to regular beaters...

Practically impossible, highly improbable. Would like to know how you had your Axis set up to make this happen.

I've tried numours settings and techniques, never been able to have the rear-end hit my foot. One would have to have their calf/lower leg at an 'extreme forward angle' and be raising their foot off the board, then it 'might' strike the shin.

As you can see, with the horizontal hammer-shaft extended max-rear, there's 7-8" of distance to the foot board. For strikage to even become close onn the return stroke, the beater shaft would have to exceed a 70 degree angle, foot board would then be around 40 degrees, these angles would then get the back of a max-extended, horizontal hammer shaft 4-4.5" from the foot board, which BTW would still not strike a 'planted' foot. Max foot board angle (before foot board hits top of pedal) is about 60 degrees.
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 05-25-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

What's the deal with the freaky little brass balls for beaters? What kind of sound does that produce? How do you keep from punching a hole through the head?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Silver Member

Without diagnosing my foot action, I couldn't tell you exatly the numbers...I just got back from a show and am not getting into it tonight. All I know is, it isn't improbable or impossible. Wind up the springs, put the old sonic hammers on and set em about mid-way on the shaft. My size 13's did just fine in getting a pretty solid strike every now and then... right on the top of the foot.

I truly appreciate the time you took to try and put it to pics but I can only refute my evidence with words and maybe a vid from my myspace showing my foot action (with different beaters). Either way, I wasn't pleased with the weight-e-ness of the older sonic hammer. There arefar lighter, and IMHO "quicker and harder stroking" beaters that complimented the direct drive of the Axis. The AL-2 longboards are awesome pieces of engineering and I just can't imagine playing something else (unless forced).

And yeah...whats up with the little beaters?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Really, you mean you've never seen these before?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Never. Strange little things
Old 05-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Without diagnosing my foot action, I couldn't tell you exatly the numbers...I just got back from a show and am not getting into it tonight. All I know is, it isn't improbable or impossible. Wind up the springs, put the old sonic hammers on and set em about mid-way on the shaft. My size 13's did just fine in getting a pretty solid strike every now and then... right on the top of the foot.

Wow. I can totally see that happening. Doesn't need to go much further back than where it is to whack a shin. Pretty stupid design if you ask me.

-Ryan
Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Really, you mean you've never seen these before?
Not on bass drum pedals... do tell
Old 05-27-2008, 05:58 PM

I imagine those beaters also come in handy for hammering one's cymbals. I think George Kollias could be put to work in the Istanbul factory.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Deathmetalconga Re:
What's the deal with the freaky little brass balls for beaters? What kind of sound does that produce? How do you keep from punching a hole through the head?

sticksnstonesrus Re:

Green_Shoes Re:
Never. Strange little things

Andy @ Massmusic Re:
Not on bass drum pedals... do tell

Ben Tormey Re:
I imagine those beaters also come in handy for hammering one's cymbals. I think George Kollias could be put to work in the Istanbul factory.

I'm waiting for someone who's experienced with Axis to tell you all about them. I guess we can rule out sticksnstonesrus as being that peson.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 05-27-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm waiting for someone who's experienced with Axis to tell you all about them. I guess we can rule out sticksnstonesrus as being that peson.
Um...Les, I guess we can rule you out as being knowledgable in Axis gear too then. Jeez, are those little beaters made by Axis?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:

That's a little over the top.

Though, it seems you're the only one that throws that much money at something for so little benefit.... sigh....

Oh, elite one! We bow before your greatness. Speak to us about ye little brass balls...

-Ryan
Old 05-27-2008, 11:56 PM

THERE THE BALL FOR THE BEATER PLATE!
They use a ball and socket so you can adjust them!

Can't we all just get along?
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

Sorry for redundancy.

And I am no pro with measuring tapes and whatnot. But here goes.

Axis AL-2CB

Axis AL-2CB with my foot in relative playing position. BTW, I play with shoes now.

Axis AL-2CB with pressure applied to show where the beater would (and did) strike my foot. I don't own Sonic Hammers anymore, but if I did, you'd notice that it would have dinged the crest of the top of my foot. Not my shin, my foot. And yes, I do lift my feet a bit (mostly heel) while I'm playing.

I guess that I know nothing about Axis. I must have imagined the impossible. Even worse, I fabricated this whole "bruising my foot thing with Sonic Hammers" for some silly reason.

Les, if you're still around brother, I'd appreciate a return PM regarding my question.

Thanks.

Andy
Old 05-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Senior Consultant

I believe that the little brass balls are from the Sonic Hammer, albeit with the beater face removed.

I too had problems with the long stems hitting me in the foot. They were unnecessarily long. I cut them down and it was solved.

The sonic hammer does solve some issues, I just wish there were more beater face options available.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

The 'brass beaters' in my pics are actually the stock 'Sonic Hammer' beaters with the cups/faces removed and never played without the faces.

I would think anyone with sonic hammers would know this, though it is possible some never look at them closely, or take the beater faces off.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Ah yes...makes entirely too much sense now.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
The 'brass beaters' in my pics are actually the stock 'Sonic Hammer' beaters with the cups/faces removed and never played without the faces.

I would think anyone with sonic hammers would know this, though it is possible some never look at them closely, or take the beater faces off.
I guess you don't read post's people leave!!!!!

This is why I Quit posting on this site! You People are all rude as#Ho###s who think you know everything! Ok sorry not all but most!!
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhitter View Post

This is why I Quit posting on this site! You People are all rude as#Ho###s who think you know everything! Ok sorry not all but most!!
Thank you for being the first one to blurt out the secret meaning of the brass balls - I thought they were some trippy Axis design. I don't know why this thread got so personal, but not very many wind up like this, I assure you.

It might actually be cool to use those little brass balls for beaters. You'd need to seriously reinforce your head, but it would be worth a try just to see what it's like.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Pictures 'are' worth a thousand words. The more linear posts the better, not everyone understands what people are trying to communicate with type. Clarity can and usually does come with quantity

It might actually be cool to use those little brass balls for beaters. You'd need to seriously reinforce your head, but it would be worth a try just to see what it's like.

They are pretty cool alone, a little too light and small though to be stand-alone beaters...maaaaybe, with the right patch design.