DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-24-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Aquarian Coating

Well, I decided to try my first Aquarian drumhead: a coated batter for my snare drum. After just a few days of only light to moderate playing, the coating began to chip. The chipping continues to spread and easily comes up with my fingernails. The Remos that I used prior to this were much more durable. They never chipped, but only wore down over a long period of time, and still left a decent surface for brushes.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Supposedly, the Z-100 coating resists chipping and is one of the most durable coatings available. Maybe it was a bad head?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Aquarian Coating

Is that head, one with the new logo or old one, because Aquarian had a bad batch of coating about a year ago but couldn't recall all the heads sent to dealers. I'll say the same thing I've said to a member of another forum who experimented the same thing. Go ahead, send an email to Aquarian explaining them the problem, within few minutes (during the week obviously) you'll receive a reply asking to call them, and you will see how an excellent customer service is capable. They will manage to get another head back to you ASAP. You will even be speaking to Aquarian president or VP (Roy Burns or Chris Brady). The member of the other forum followed my advice and got back to his thread with only good words for Aquarian & their Customer Service and was very happy with his new head.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-24-2008, 07:47 PM

mind_drummer,

Thanks for the reply. My drumhead does have a different logo than what I see on Aquarian's site. It has word "Aquarian" on it without the box surrounding it. So if this is indeed part of a bad batch of heads, then it explains the problem. I've heard great things about Aquarian, and I know that the heads have to be better than this! I tried sending an e-mail to the address on Aquarian's site, but it bounced back to me. I'll give them a call next week. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
mind_drummer,

Thanks for the reply. My drumhead does have a different logo than what I see on Aquarian's site. It has word "Aquarian" on it without the box surrounding it. So if this is indeed part of a bad batch of heads, then it explains the problem. I've heard great things about Aquarian, and I know that the heads have to be better than this! I tried sending an e-mail to the address on Aquarian's site, but it bounced back to me. I'll give them a call next week. Thanks.
I just picked up a head that has the same logo as the one you are describing; it's a single ply, texture coated. However, I have had no problems with any chipping. I suppose it's been on my snare about 2 weeks or so. Maybe I got lucky?
[philippians 4:13]
Old 05-25-2008, 06:52 AM

I think it's the other way round. budman got unlucky.
Cool that Aquarian's service is that good. Hope your email/call gets through next time budman.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Pioneer Member

I had a whole batch of heads like that. All Aquarian texture coated heads 10,12,14 (2), and 16. Every one of them started shedding coating for no reason. I've never seen heads do that before, and I never plan to buy Aquarians again, at least for some time. I have had no issues with Evans as of yet.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I had a whole batch of heads like that. All Aquarian texture coated heads 10,12,14 (2), and 16. Every one of them started shedding coating for no reason. I've never seen heads do that before, and I never plan to buy Aquarians again, at least for some time. I have had no issues with Evans as of yet.

I never had problem with Aquarian yet whatsoever...

Have you contacted them whem that unfortunate problem happened ? They would have shipped you a whole new set and maybe some extra for the inconvenience it gave you.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Remo will replace defective heads too, but it just seems like a lot of work when every 1/3 heads I bought from them was that way and 100% of the Aquarians were. I want it done right the first time, and Evans seems to be doing that for me. Although, I'm not a fan of g2s and not so much of EC2s but that's just a sound preference thing.