DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

Default Here she is!!! My new DW with Craviotto Snare

Here it is
8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13, 22x18 and 13x5.5 Craviotto Solid Snare in Emerald Oil Satin. I am waiting for my new cymbals to come in, so this is all I have.

Definitely the highest build quality kit I have owned. It tuned up so quickly. The tension rods went in like butter. Absolutely amazing.

The shell just "Thud" when you hit them. They resonate really well. They just sing. The heads are old, and probably need to be replaced. But, it sounds amazing. Doing any beat involving the toms is very intense. The snare is so responsive and cracks. This is the first time I really played with a 13, and I like the higher pitch. Also, the extra room, although only an inch, seems substantial.

I am more impressed with this kit than I ever thought I could be. I think I have a keeper!!! (I know, I said that last time)

With the virgin bass drum, it is difficult to place the toms as close together as I would like. I can see a rack will be coming some time in the future. I also wish that the 14 was a floor tom, but it still works great.

Here are the pics. Thanks for all your help guys and gals.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Here she is!!! My new DW with Craviotto Snare

Now you have to mention this kit in your signature, along with your wife and kids...Very nice!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Nice kit DWs arent my cup of tea but nice
Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Now you have to mention this kit in your signature, along with your wife and kids...Very nice!
Oh, you did it! Umm...now I feel awkward...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Oh, you did it! Umm...now I feel awkward...
I also change my Avitar pic from my first day of work at McDonalds when I was 16 to my new kit.

It was good advice. Who doesn't like to get it once and a while!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

Hey Mike,
The kit looks great set-up. The rack will definitely help get those toms just right. You can always add legs to the 14" tom. It's funny, you have run into the exact same slight dilemmas that I did when I got my DW's. Enjoy those beauties.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, you CAN put legs on the 14" tom. My 14" tom was originally a floor tom, but I bought an STM mount so it could be mounted as well. That size is so "in-between", it's good to have options. I enjoy playing 3-up, 1-down in the studio.

If you decide to do that, though, make sure that the legs are properly aligned with the badges so it will keep it's value (8 lug casings, 2 badges, 3 leg brackets...it would be easy to screw up). Find another DW 14" floor tom at Guitar Center or somewhere close to be sure they'd be in the right "order". It's little details like this that would have someone kicking themselves 40 years down the road when they try to sell it. Or, in your case, 6 months! :P
Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Too beautiful....What cymbals are you waiting for?
from your
tv set

Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Oh Man that is a sweet set. Never used to be a fan of the green finishes, but I've some lately that are quite spectacular, and yours is awesome as well. I'm now officially jealous, lol. Very nice, Judges score 10's all around ;)

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

The picture second from the bottom, coming down the stairs. Does anyone else feel the drama in that picture?

I could imagine walking down the stairs Christmas morning, looking over the railing and seeing a gorgeous DW sitting there. My heart would skip a beat. (even though I think this is in your basement, I'm having fun with the picture.)

Nice kit again, is this the fourth thread? lol, did you post on the "show of your DW" yet?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

WOW that is one incredible drum kit
Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Mike,

Nice kit!!! Welcome to the dark side. Despite my Yamaha avatar I own two dee dub kits and they are both incredible.

A rack would be perfect for a set up like that. Get the DW rack. A front rack will do every thing you need. Add legs to the 14 and you'll have tons of flexibility in your set up. Pro Drum in Hollywood can do that for you. Nobody has taken a drill to my shells except for those guys since the 60s. Stan is the man to talk to. Give him a call if that's something you're interested in. He can probably mount them while you're having lunch.

You're right about that 13 inch snare. IMO one of the best sounding wood snares out there.
The 13s just feel a lot more comfortable. You'll find it blends into the other sizes real well. I think much better that a 14 with the sizes you have.

Head wise, a lot of the guys are running coated G2s over clear G1s. I'm running that combo and it sounds great. I would imagine coated Amabssadors over clear Ambs. would be great too. An Ambassador or G1 on the Craviotto works out real nice.

I hate to say it, and I don't want to diss the Ludwig drivers, but I don't think you'll miss them much. I have a classic maple 6 piece collecting dust. Nice drums, no doubt, but they ain't dubs. YMMV.

You've got a great kit there, and I think as you get them dialed in they will really blow you away.

Again, super nice kit! Enjoy!!!

Take care.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

Nice kit very nice!....I was thinking abou tthis the other day since my DWs were built in 2006 they have the "gold badges" on them....what year did DW stop making the "black badges"...I cannot remember at this point? I know it had to be in the early 2000's or so?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Nice kit very nice!....I was thinking abou tthis the other day since my DWs were built in 2006 they have the "gold badges" on them....what year did DW stop making the "black badges"...I cannot remember at this point? I know it had to be in the early 2000's or so?
I don't know for sure. I have black and silver badges on a 2002 kit. I would guess 03 or 04.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Absolutely beautiful, I love green, probably my prefered color. Everything look great and in mint condition.

Again congrats & enjoy.

Can we expect sound sample of you groove eventually ?

Take & A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

...let me add my voice to this chorus of congrats.

Very nice kit, and a great score.

Adding legs to your 14" tom is a lot easier than you might think. I have drilled a 14x12 for legs before. You can use the STM mount as a template for your leg placement. If you look at your 16, you can see where the leg placement lines up between your lugs. For the 14, If you take the tom bracket off of the stm mount, then place the stm mount on the bottom lugs, the holes from the tom bracket line up perfectly with where your floor tom leg brackets should be.

The best way to describe this without taking a picture would be for you to hold your tom upside down, and compare where the tom bracket would sit if it was affixed directly to the shell. Using the stm as your template allows you to match your leg placement as if it was done in the factory.

Once again, welcome to the deedub club. I hope that your stay here is a pleasant one.

Also, If you have any questions regarding the floor tom legs, I could take some pictures to show what I am talking about.

Barry
Old 05-21-2008, 10:33 PM
KARL MEMBER

Congrats to this kit. Surely sounds fine! =)
If I`m allowed to ask...how much did you pay for it? I noticed that DW sets aren`t as expencive as they used to be, at least over here in Germany.

Have fun playing them, the finish looks gorgeous!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Beautiful set. The finish seems almost iridescent, or 3-D.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Sweet drums man! Oh wait, I said that already didn't I?

I dig the 16" upside-down crash for a half-hi-hat setup....VERY unique ;)

As for getting the toms where you want them - the stands you have will definitely do it. I remember when I got my first DW kit and I struggled for a couple months to get everything right where I wanted it. A rack is just going to cover those pretty drums up and ruin their appearance IMO (no offense to you rack-jockeys out there.)

I'll post my new DW kit in a new thread and you can see what I did to get my toms right where I wanted them. However, I fell back to a 4pc. and I'm not using the 10" currently...not sure if I'll stay that way.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Congrats to this kit. Surely sounds fine! =)
If I`m allowed to ask...how much did you pay for it? I noticed that DW sets aren`t as expencive as they used to be, at least over here in Germany.

Have fun playing them, the finish looks gorgeous!

Karl

Hey Karl,

I paid 2200 for 2 DW 9000 tom stands, the toms, bass drum and craviotto snare.

It really was "deal of a lifetime".

I know that if I do sell it someday, I will get more for it than what I purchased it for.

Thank you for the feedback

Mike
Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Here's an example, don't have time to start a thread on mine right now. But, as you can see, I'm using two DW 9900 double tom stands and I was able to get them very low, and very close to each other. It took about an hour of adjusting, re-adjusting, ripping my hair out, collapsing in exhaustion, and starting over again...but it's possible.

Best of all, w/ memory locks - it'll all "fall into place" when taking it out on gigs.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...Adding legs to your 14" tom is a lot easier than you might think.
I agree with Barry. I added the legs to my 16" floor tom and I just ordered the legs for the 18". You just clamp a piece of wood to the inside of the shell to prevent splintering. I marked them, used a spring loaded punch, started with smaller bit and progressed to correct size. If you decide to do this, you might want to search for the same style mounts that are on your 16" floor tom, or upgrade your 16" to the new style also. Here's a pic of mine after installation.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/a...0&d=1170017407

Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Sweet drums man! Oh wait, I said that already didn't I?

I dig the 16" upside-down crash for a half-hi-hat setup....VERY unique ;)

As for getting the toms where you want them - the stands you have will definitely do it. I remember when I got my first DW kit and I struggled for a couple months to get everything right where I wanted it. A rack is just going to cover those pretty drums up and ruin their appearance IMO (no offense to you rack-jockeys out there.)

I'll post my new DW kit in a new thread and you can see what I did to get my toms right where I wanted them. However, I fell back to a 4pc. and I'm not using the 10" currently...not sure if I'll stay that way.

You must be a programmer or something to have that attention to detail!!!! I used the 16 to see about how to try to get 4 up to the left with a single floor tom. Just wasn't comfortable. I am sure I will play with it.

Also, I never, ever thought about the rack blocking the toms. That is a good point. One I will certainly take into consideration.

I am afraid to move the stands too close to the bass drum. I don't want to damage the kit at all. I will have to mess with it. With a rack, I know I wont damage the kit.

Please post how your tom stands were placed, if you can, so I can see how you got the toms so close.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Please post how your tom stands were placed, if you can, so I can see how you got the toms so close.
They're not very close at all...and I have the legs spread out as wide as I can get them to go (for stability). Unless there's a massive earthquake they'll never hit the bass drum. I'll start my thread tonight w/ pics so you can get a look.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
They're not very close at all...and I have the legs spread out as wide as I can get them to go (for stability). Unless there's a massive earthquake they'll never hit the bass drum. I'll start my thread tonight w/ pics so you can get a look.
One thing I noticed on zambizzi's kit is his toms are barely over the bass drum, they are sitting quite a bit closer to the player. Most drummers have the toms sittting where you would normally have them if a center mount was on the bass drum. This probably helps get them closer, although I see alot of set-ups with not having a problem. Where you really start having problems is when you have a 24" or 26" bass drum.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
One thing I noticed on zambizzi's kit is his toms are barely over the bass drum, they are sitting quite a bit closer to the player. Most drummers have the toms sittting where you would normally have them if a center mount was on the bass drum. This probably helps get them closer, although I see alot of set-ups with not having a problem. Where you really start having problems is when you have a 24" or 26" bass drum.
Correct, they're about half-way over the edge of the batter-side of the bass. I sit with my thighs at a slight downward-angle and my ankle slightly out "in front" of my knee - so this setup is perfect for my feet. I also have about 5" of clearance between my groin and the snare. I'm only 6' tall.

I've found that having the toms entirely over the top of the bass is just too far of a reach for me...and you have to keep them unnaturally high and hard to reach.

here's a better view:
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Correct, they're about half-way over the edge of the batter-side of the bass. I sit with my thighs at a slight downward-angle and my ankle slightly out "in front" of my knee - so this setup is perfect for my feet. I also have about 5" of clearance between my groin and the snare. I'm only 6' tall.

I've found that having the toms entirely over the top of the bass is just too far of a reach for me...and you have to keep them unnaturally high and hard to reach.

here's a better view:
What a beautiful kit you have there!!!!! Man, it is gorgeous!

I will try moving my toms forward. I am 6' 4" with long arms for my height, so having them to close might be an issue. Although, I must admit that on my Mapex with the toms over the bass drum, it feels good.

I need to lower my toms a bit also. I am just afraid to have the toms rub the bass drum. Tonight, my wife is getting a facial, so I will be home alone. My new K mastersounds arrived today, so I can play a bit.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
What a beautiful kit you have there!!!!! Man, it is gorgeous!

I will try moving my toms forward. I am 6' 4" with long arms for my height, so having them to close might be an issue. Although, I must admit that on my Mapex with the toms over the bass drum, it feels good.

I need to lower my toms a bit also. I am just afraid to have the toms rub the bass drum. Tonight, my wife is getting a facial, so I will be home alone. My new K mastersounds arrived today, so I can play a bit.
Thanks! You too...that emerald finish is hot, definitely shows off the wood better than any satin oil finish I've seen.

You could get them just as close together, you'd have to just raise them about 2" to have them over the bass - wouldn't prevent you from having them snug together. Since you're a veritable giant, your snare will be higher to compensate.

You have the "new kit jitters" - haha! You're paranoid about things bumping together and all of that...don't sweat it...they won't. My toms are nearly touching the bass...maybe 1/2" clearance at best...and they never wiggle enough to come anywhere near the bass or other drums.

You HAVE to let me know how you like the K Mastersounds...I can't find anywhere that carries them here so I can't try 'em out...
Old 05-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Of course we know the drums sound killer, but that finish is BEAUTIFUL! Good score.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Gold Member

I went to GC today and bought some new clothing.

I splurged on and DW hat and shirt.

Here are pics of me behind my new kit.

Zamb, the Ks are interesting. Very dark. Pretty loud when open, but much more quiet when closed, even a bit.

They are not as loud as my old 15 2002 paiste sound edge hats, but still loud.

I played A custom mastersounds at GC, and I think I will be returning my Ks. Or, I might take my K bottom into GC and see what it sounds like with an A custom top.

I moved my toms forward and down and closer together. You were right, I definitely had new kit jitters.

I only got to play for a few minutes, but have band practice tomorrow, so I will see how the new hats really work.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Gold Member

Lookin good Mike! I see you got the toms situated, no need for a rack. Man, you dwarf those drums. Enjoy.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 AM

Beautiful kit Mike. That finish is gorgeous! Congrats on your new babies.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

That's the face of a happy guy who just got his dream kit! ;)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice! Man, you've got quite a bit of traffic going through this thread o' yours.

My tip: If you have the "new kit jitters", as it was excellently called, throw a towel or blanket over your bass drum while you adjust your toms. It helps to take the edge off of the "jitters". Of course, once your kit is adjusted, it would be a heinous crime to leave it on...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

I have my toms hanging more toward the back of the bass drum also. I am experimenting lately with set ups though.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

I have my toms hanging more toward the back of the bass drum also. I am experimenting lately with set ups though.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Your kit is simply unbelieveable.

I think you won it, didn't you??

Either way, it is fantastic.

I started messing around with different tunings med low, to med high. I really need new heads I think. Kit still sounds good, but the heads are just old. What heads are you using on your kit?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

I did win it...and thanks.....in the Bozzio Metropole Orchestra contest in 2006. I still have the stock coated/clears on the toms which have worn pretty well. I am fooling with tunings also. I worked on the tuning to the pitch on the shell then tweaking....the great thing is they really sound amazing in those tunings but...if you want to bring them up they have a really nice range.

If it can be said...the kit actually 'inspired' me....I have been ( on my own time) working on various ostinato and soloing material...just starting off at first with getting used to a big kit again....but now I can pretty much play legit material overlapping patterns and using alot of cross rhythms etc....I want to record some ideas in my friend's studio and see how they turn out. I probably have about 3-4 distinctly different ideas that I can soloing pretty freely on now. I figured it only helps my overall playing to start messing with it. Then I started tearing apart stuff and continue to try and make stuff my own.

I have only taken a five piece of the kit out to play...because 1. bars are notorious places for accidents to happen...2.No where big enough to set up...3. the bands I play in do not call for a big kit....Most of the time I use my old Remo kit..( sometimes using my DW snare) and I do take out the Radias sometimes.....

But one of these days ....I'd really like to get it all out ....
Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I have my toms hanging more toward the back of the bass drum also.
I might try this with my DW set also. I played 23 years with the toms in the center with my old Superstars and had gotten so used to that. I noticed on my ' 71 Ludwig set that with the consolette position alot closer to me, it feels alot different, but I've gotten used to it. It's good to move things around.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

yeah I noticed too that I really don't like to sit anymore with my knee directly over my ankle when I play....so it has a slight extension...not a lot but just a bit.This helps me with both heel up and heel down or combinations of heel/toe.... When I was younger I sat more "on top of" things but realized as I improved that is not the best location for me. I also try to set things up to make snese ergonomically for myself and everything is in very good reach for me.