DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Simon Phillips

I told some of you I would post one of his songs from his 1988 CD Protocol. The name of this song is Protocol. I love Simon Phillips he was one of the first to really get me into double bass drumming. Ever since I heard him do double bass on Give Blood by Pete Townsend I was hooked.

ENJOY!

http://newenglandsoftball.bizland.co...n_phillips.htm
Old 07-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Simon Phillips

Simon has been an absolute inspiration to me for over 20 years, and is the reason I switched to playing open-handed style.

Give Blood is the ultimate Drummers groove and Simon certainly defines what groove in the pocket is all about, especially the live version of Give Blood is incredible man! Also the live version of "Second Hand Love" from Pete Townsend has Simon laying down serious illegal chops man!

I have both of his instructional videos for almost 10 years now and I still learn so much from his unique approach and machine-like accuracy. His videos are not just instructional but fun to listen and watch, Simon tells it like it is.

One aspect I love and respect about both videos, is that he never talks about his open-handed style. Simon is all action and execute, and through this approach the rythm educates you about the open-handed method, not words.

Brilliance is the man.

Simon Phillips.

dap.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

Finaly

one of my favorite drummers :) I love his album he did with the Toto - livefields - especialy the 6 song - dave's gone fishing it's incredible... :D
Old 07-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Pioneer Member

I agree with all of you...Alot of drummers I think sometimes get more credit than they deserve for what they bought to the table. I just think he never has been given the acclaim for his playing. I have a live drum solo of his I will post as well later on this week and it is great. Just the way he approaches it musically and technically is awesome.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:31 PM

To bump up this thread up - Simon Phillips have been one of my main influences for many years. He has the ability to play these amazing solos and songs ( open handed! ) and still be able to sit back and groove. I just love his style. And he plays sooo many styles! Fusion, Rock, Hardrock, jazz....
Old 12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
mlehnertz

Dave's Gone Skiing

Is this the album that has V8 on it? I remember getting that as an insert in Modern Drummer. Good tune.

What is this open-handed style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeq
Finaly

one of my favorite drummers :) I love his album he did with the Toto - livefields - especialy the 6 song - dave's gone fishing it's incredible... :D
Old 12-16-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
Dave's Gone Skiing

Is this the album that has V8 on it? I remember getting that as an insert in Modern Drummer. Good tune.

What is this open-handed style?
The song you posted is actually from the Toto album Tambu released in 1995. This is taken from a live recording from 1997.

Open handed is a special playing where you're playing the hihat with the left hand instead of the right and the snare with the right instead of the left. When you do that, you usually play the ride at the left side too.

http://www.simon-phillips.com/equipm...mkitgreen3.jpg
This is Simon Phillips' kit and as you can see, the hihat is VERY low and the ride is at the left. It was Simon that inspired me to play the same way.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:31 PM
mlehnertz

So that's what they call that. I've known for years that Simon had the ability to do that but I didn't know what it was called.

I've seen Simon half a dozen times and I never paid much attention to where his ride cymbal was (is). Interesting placement. Next time I see Toto I'll pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Open handed is a special playing where you're playing the hihat with the left hand instead of the right and the snare with the right instead of the left. When you do that, you usually play the ride at the left side too.

http://www.simon-phillips.com/equipm...mkitgreen3.jpg
This is Simon Phillips' kit and as you can see, the hihat is VERY low and the ride is at the left. It was Simon that inspired me to play the same way.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Thinshells

Simon is an awesome big kit drummer. He does it all, very versatile, and widely recorded.
Always cool tama kits as well.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:10 AM

Yeah. his set is way cool. And I love the fact that when he plays jazz with his own band, He changes the entire kit and plays the normal way! ( hihat with right and snare with left ). He also changes the ride cymbal to the right. Amazing how he can just change and play the other way too.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:14 PM
mlehnertz

Interesting observation - he's been playing that green set for at least 4 years now.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:34 PM

Default VIDEO : Simon Phillips solo 22/8-04

Hey everybody. Here is a link to a Simon Phillips solo played on a Toto gig in switzerland summer 2004. I had to cut away like 4 minutes of this solo because it was way to big.

PS. TOTO keyboardist Greg Phillinganes joins Simon on stage with a snare at the end for a little rudiment! Very cool!

SOLO :
http://www.youtube.com/?v=ZIUzEtxDHkQ.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Re: VIDEO : Simon Phillips solo 22/8-04

nice video
hes really good
does anyone know what snare he is using?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: VIDEO : Simon Phillips solo 22/8-04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_on_drums
nice video
hes really good
does anyone know what snare he is using?
His main snare is a "Signature "Gladiator" Snare Drum 5-1/2" x 14" and the one at the octobans is a "Signature "Pagaent" Snare Drum 5" x 12"
Old 02-11-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Simon Phillips Kit Update And Free MP3s

For folks who have been wondering about the Simon Phillips kit situation here is a bit of information. He is currently using a new Tama Bubinga kit in his new recording studio. The link on this thread will take you to a Japanese site for Sugi Guitars. The site has pictures of a recording session being done to demo the guitars, as well as control room pictures and photos of Simon behind the kit.

The nice surprise is that at the site you can download three MP3s of the session and get almost 15 minutes worth of free music. The tracks sound nice and Simon's drums, as usual, sound terrific.

Simon said at a drum clinic, in MIchigan last April, that he wasn't sure what would he would be using when the 2006 Toto tour hits the road in support of the new "Falling In Between" recording. Don't be surprised if the huge kit has a new look considering what he is using in his studio.

Si Rules!!!!!! Enjoy the music!

J P

http://www.rosso-jp.com/news/index.html

Last edited by JPDrum; 05-25-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:23 PM

Simon was out recently on a drumclinic tour in Asia and he used his new Bubinga kit ( I THINK ), he also removed the Gong Drum & the 4 octobans which is a shame.

Here is the link to several videos of Simon doing his clinic in Asia 2005. The videos needs extremely much time to load but they are very cool!!!
http://cosmosmusic.com/service/info/...read&pk_idx=56

Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 PM

Does Simon still use two bass drums or double pedals now?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:13 AM
mlehnertz

Two bass drums the last time I saw him - which was only a year ago.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:32 AM

He always use it ( except when he does gigs with his local jazz band. Then he changes his whole kit and only uses 1 bassdrum.]
Old 02-12-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Simon was out recently on a drumclinic tour in Asia and he used his new Bubinga kit ( I THINK ), he also removed the Gong Drum & the 4 octobans which is a shame.

Here is the link to several videos of Simon doing his clinic in Asia 2005. The videos needs extremely much time to load but they are very cool!!!
http://cosmosmusic.com/service/info/...read&pk_idx=56

Hi Robin

Thanks for the video link. Very cool stuff. I have been searching for content from Simon's Asian Tour with limited success. The kits that were used were the new Tama Superstars.

Si Rules!!

J P
Old 03-15-2006, 05:45 PM

Default VIDEO : Great drumsolo by Mr Simon Phillips!

Hey everybody! Here's a video from the Toto - Live In Amsterdam DVD ( the bonus stuff ). Simon Phillips doing a drumsolo in Japan. And he's reading the newspaper while doing it!

Here's the link :

DRUMSOLO

Last edited by Robin; 03-15-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: VIDEO : Great drumsolo by Mr Simon Phillips!

Interesting stuff. I like the part where he slowly introduces his snare after the newspaper portion.

I am not very much into drum solos, and I will only look at these videos from time to time when they are posted as in this thread. However, for funny reasons, when I watched this one, it reminded me of that other one, which was also posted a while ago...

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/joeyjordison.html

May be because of the double-bass fest and "showmanship" (different approach) involved... Anyways I am an old-fashionned guy, and there is one solo that I like much more than the other one... and I'd be curious to see other's opinion on that...

Don't want to start an argument though... We also did mention somewhere else that musicality and taste were very subjective, didn't we ?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:33 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yes, I know it, I`ve got the DVD but one more time: WOOOOOW!!
Simon Phillips...er...or should I say SIR Simon Phillips?? Yes, so SIR Simon Phillips is genius, his sticks fly over the drumset, so relaxed! He is awesome!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl
Simon Phillips...er...or should I say SIR Simon Phillips?? Yes, so SIR Simon Phillips is genius, his sticks fly over the drumset, so relaxed! He is awesome!!

Karl
"Drummmer Karl ", You think he is good enough to play for "Tokyo Hotel". Just kidding.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl

Karl
Totally agree, Karl!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:38 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomda
"Drummmer Karl ", You think he is good enough to play for "Tokyo Hotel". Just kidding.
HAHAHAHA :D
Tokio Hotel, you know them? Ever heard their stuff?
I won`t say my opinion to this band, I would be banned, sry! I don`t like them, this is the only thing I can say...(I don`t wanna attack any fans of this band ;) )

Peace,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Yes, I know of "Tokyo Hotel" I have German TV through Dishnetwork here in the US. I always watch Stefan Raab on "TV Total".
That man is crazy.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know of "Tokyo Hotel" I have German TV through Dishnetwork here in the US. I always watch Stefan Raab on "TV Total".
That man is crazy.
agree raab rules i love that show
but is it translated?
well wrong topic

wooohooow i never really listened to toto
but i guess i should start

what i like about this solo is that phillips not only plays the drums verywell
but entertains the audience even when they are no drummers................

thanks for posting

yeah i really should start listening to toto
damn
Old 03-15-2006, 09:55 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
That man is crazy.
Very cool, I love TV Total, too!! So funny...thenameless: yes, you should definatly start to listen to Toto, you`ll be impressed...I love em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Ok, Dennis Chamers did THE SAME THING on a Zildjiandays-show.

He also drunk some water while he was playing a double basspattern, and then whiped his face off with a towel, and then looked at his watch (in stead of reading the newspaper)

Ad then he did the same thing as Simon here is doing slowley starting hitting the snare followd by a roll, but Dennis did it with one hand.

So, one of the two just compied the other one, or someting like that. If that's a rescent video than Dennis Chambers was first, but I think there where a lot of drummer who did that before.

So, for me this video was a bit dissapointing!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Didnīt it make you smile?
If no ok agree but
if you smiled I would not call myself disapointed

and I actually do nit think that Phillips or chambers
need to copy the otherone
it is just funny
Old 03-15-2006, 10:57 PM
mlehnertz

Neither solo really does much for me. I've never been a big fan of "arena solos". I use the term "arena solo" because they are geared more to an arena of screaming fans that don't know the first thing about playing drums but LOVE lots of notes, cymbals and double bass than to us regular drummers.

I find Steve Gadd's syncopated snare fills in the Buddy Rich drum-off to be more entertaining.

Don't get me wrong, Simon Phillips is in my Top 3 for players, but the solo doesn't do much for me.

BTW, didn't Tommy Lee hold the trademark for upside-down drum solos?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:28 PM

Here is the video in better quality : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...01795065415816
Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
mlehnertz

Is that Mike Porcaro doing the video taping?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:05 PM

Indeed it is. It's from the bonus stuff of the Live In Amsterdam DVD released in 2003.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:16 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Indeed it is. It's from the bonus stuff of the Live In Amsterdam DVD released in 2003.

I love the bonus stuff of Toto! They are so cool and crazy behind th stage though they are cool on the stage, too... Especially Steve, he laughs all the time, he is so funny...Robin: Do you know the scene when Toto are in the bus and Simon shows his poop "jingle bells" version?? This is sooo crazy!! :D

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:42 PM

Hahahahaha yeah, I love that scene! Simon is on the verge of laughing his ass off! They seem to have alot of fun on the road!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:39 PM

I think the coolest thing about Simon Philips is his innate sense of flair... he just has a blast when he plays and that comes thru so much.

He has that spark, he makes drumming become such fun... his playing is like that... a strange mix of virtuosity, yet fun, he never appears to be a show off... and is always in great musical form.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:53 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Hahahahaha yeah, I love that scene! Simon is on the verge of laughing his ass off! They seem to have alot of fun on the road!
Yeah, really!! Everyone was laughing, me too! I Laughed so much that I felt pain after some time in my body! :D
Loving the extras...the day in the bowling centre...great and crazy HAHAHA :D

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Ok, Dennis Chamers did THE SAME THING on a Zildjiandays-show.

He also drunk some water while he was playing a double basspattern, and then whiped his face off with a towel, and then looked at his watch (in stead of reading the newspaper)

Ad then he did the same thing as Simon here is doing slowley starting hitting the snare followd by a roll, but Dennis did it with one hand.

So, one of the two just compied the other one, or someting like that. If that's a rescent video than Dennis Chambers was first, but I think there where a lot of drummer who did that before.

So, for me this video was a bit dissapointing!
This video is put up here just for sharing purpose, didn't know it was dissapointing to you or and doesn't really matter who actuslly copied who. Afterall Simon did this as always in his many clinic in different ways. Dennis is my No.1 Drummer, but I've seen Simon on the Drums too in his Clinic and he really has very Fast Legs & Hands too, very good control 4 limbs and I'm amazed.

Pedro, these are entertaining regardless which drummer did it, provided we do possess that kind of skills.