DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-14-2008, 06:43 AM

Default Hole or no hole?

I have a 22x20 bass and the drum shell is not exactly good quality, CHINA's finest! lol

I have the stock heads on it still which are a very thin 1-ply nylon batter which I have added a pad to the head and put foam tape around the outside edge. It doesnt sound half bad but the reso head is just a cheapo black nylon head and Im thinking of replacing this head but dont know whether to go for a head with a precut hole or get a solid head. Right now I have that yello matress foam stuff lining the inside bass shell so no pillows or blankets. It sounds very boomy and not real choked like most guys that do the hard metal and mic the bass. Im never going to be playing with mics on this kit so Im curious what the effects of going to a head with a hole would be, more boomy I would guess??
Old 05-14-2008, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Hole or no hole?

If you're not micking it, the difference isn't that big, at least with a small hole. I used to have a closed reso, but I needed a hole for the mic, so I cut one, and the sound is a little drier with more punch, and the bassdrum beater bounces less due to more air escaping on the front.

I'd say go for a closed one, see how you like it, and then if you feel the need you can always cut the hole.
from your
tv set

Old 05-14-2008, 03:06 PM

From what Ive read in reviews the Aquarian and Pinstripe are both good choices on the cheaper side for bass heads. Anyone care to comment on good sound for cheaper thinner bass shells?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM

If you looking at Aquarian I would recommend getting a Regulator head. These are specially designed as reso bass heads and have a inbuilt muffle feature which is a circular ring of foam stuck at the centre of the head on the reverse side. If you get one of these you may be able to get rid of a lot of the foam you have inside the drum. You can get the Regulator in Black or White and with or without a pre cut hole.

I personally like to have a nice punchy boom sound from my bass drum but if your after a more choked sound then you probably want to be tuning both batter and reso heads quite loose, this will give you more of a slap sound from the beater. Problem is, if your playing unmiced you may struggle for your bass drum to cut through and it could end up sounding like cardboard box. Remeber, what you hear from behind the drums is not what the audience hears and some of the resonance will be lost.

In theory having a port hole should (I think) reduce resonance and boom marginally as the air will escape more quickly out of the drum and won't resonante around as long inside (I could be wrong about that but it makes sense to me at aleast!). In reality the difference may not be that great.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Pioneer Member

I'd say no mic hole.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:25 PM

I think Im going to try one of those Aquarian self muffling heads with no hole, and if I dont get the results I want I can cut the hole or change the muffling to get the sound I need. That sounds like a plan!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

I just recently picked up an Aquarian Force II reso head for my 3-ply Luddie kick. It's a very nice reso head and they give you the port hole if you still want to cut a hole later. I really like this drum head but I'm getting quite a bit of bounce back. I've actually been thinking of adding about four little holes ala the DW reso heads.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 05-15-2008, 01:57 AM

While playing my kick with the stock heads, I decided to experiment with a 4" port. It felt to me like the life went out of the drum. The guys I play with said it was flat, and I agree. I tried numerous tuning combinations over the course of about a month, and nothing revived it.

I then bought an Aquarian Superkick II to replace the stock batter, and put the stock batter (Tama Powercraft 250 hazy) on the reso side. No muffling. I have the batter at 65 on the Drumdial, and the reso at about 70 (I think.) I am VERY happy with the sound I have now. It's a huge sound that you can FEEL - a loud, deep, punchy boom with a warm, medium/quick decay. Perfect for the rock/metal stuff we do.

There is definitely a difference in the beater rebound with and w/o a port. I play with a double pedal, and I actually prefer the firm bounce of the unported setup. It feels more lively and responsive, to me.

Unless I have to mic the kit, (which is likely a long way off,) I won't port my bass reso again. It felt like... well, like my drum had a hole in it.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6 View Post
I have a 22x20 bass and the drum shell is not exactly good quality, CHINA's finest! lol

I have the stock heads on it still which are a very thin 1-ply nylon batter which I have added a pad to the head and put foam tape around the outside edge. It doesnt sound half bad but the reso head is just a cheapo black nylon head and Im thinking of replacing this head but dont know whether to go for a head with a precut hole or get a solid head. Right now I have that yello matress foam stuff lining the inside bass shell so no pillows or blankets. It sounds very boomy and not real choked like most guys that do the hard metal and mic the bass. Im never going to be playing with mics on this kit so Im curious what the effects of going to a head with a hole would be, more boomy I would guess??
More air release and attack comes with the hole.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 05-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

If you're miked you need a hole, unless your sound guy is one in a million. To avoid losing resonance put it off center at around 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock, and keep it smallish (4"). If you like the 70s cardboardy sound put the hole in the middle and make it as big as you want.

If you're playing unmiked, leave a full reso and tune for maximum boom. A nice "recording ready" thuddy bass drum simply disappears when not miked.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
If you're miked you need a hole, unless your sound guy is one in a million. To avoid losing resonance put it off center at around 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock, and keep it smallish (4"). If you like the 70s cardboardy sound put the hole in the middle and make it as big as you want.

If you're playing unmiked, leave a full reso and tune for maximum boom. A nice "recording ready" thuddy bass drum simply disappears when not miked.
Exactly what I did. At the 4 o'clock point. 4" hole. Everything about is better to me. The feel, sound and attack. Its on a new PDP kit. It sounded pretty good w/no hole, but just all around better w/a hole. Also makes for easy access for the drum pillow that came w/it.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 PM

I just put a 4" hole on my Gretsch Renown, and it makes a nice difference--drier and more controlled. Before, the kick--a 20x22--sounded too deep for the kind of stuff I'm playing. It was more like a sub-woofer than a bass drum. The 4" hole also gives me a little more control of the pedal.

Sonor S-Classix
Paiste Signature Dark Energy
Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

thats what he said.

sorry! couldnt help it.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 AM

Small hole...i like a ported head because micing for recording and live play is easy and not only that but with a small hole u get more attack without completely eliminating all of the resonance tone and "boom" of the drum
Old 08-07-2008, 03:53 PM

I finally broke down and bought an ebony evans ported reso head. Its got a 4-5" hole and it did change the sound a lot. Its more tight and the attack is a hair easier for doubles. But I lost a lot of resonance. I dont like a tight punchy bass because our band sucks lol. We play 70's to 80's rock so I like the booming bass opposed to the metal sounding kick drums. Since we never mic my drums this is nice.

Now I have to work on the snare since everyone complains they cant hear it! Its always something... Thanks for the replies folks!